Matt Ryan: The Latest $100 Million Man in the NFL

Funny when people like this look at something now thinking they knew this back then. Just stop with the coulda woulda shoulda...

I don't know if you lurked here back during those drafts but there were plenty of people here who loved Kaepernick and who would have taken Kaepernick when the Bills took Aaron Williams. There were some people here who proposed taking him in the first round after a trade down.

Ditto with Russell Wilson. There were numerous people here who would have taken Wilson ahead of TJ Graham.

I believe there is lots of evidence in the posts leading up to the draft and even during the live draft threads.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if you lurked here back during those drafts but there were plenty of people here who loved Kaepernick and who would have taken Kaepernick when the Bills took Aaron Williams. There were some people here who proposed taking him in the first round after a trade down.

Ditto with Russell Wilson. There were numerous people here who would have taken Wilson ahead of TJ Graham.

I believe there is lots of evidence in the posts leading up to the draft and even during the live draft threads.

Yea but you also had people that probably wanted Nassib or Barkley this year. So of course when you have thousands of people on a board you will have at least one person that wants someone who turns out great when draft day come just like you will have people wanting guys who aren't even in the league anymore. It still comes down to guessing game and the only one that counts (Bills) haven't been as good.

I would bet though people that wanted Russell or Kaep have also wanted people in the past who didn't make it in the league.

I didn't even really know who Keep was. I wanted Russell but I had no idea he would turn out this good.

Edited by BuffaloFood

The story on Ryan was that he was a great qb at home but struggled on the road and in the playoffs. 1 win last year doesn't erase that. Would we all take him on the Bills? Of course but that doesn't mean he is worth 100 million. Think about the contracts Brady has signed. They have been reasonable and affordable allowing the team to keep and/or sign good players. This contract will hamstring the Falcons as they have to re-sign their weapons. See the Ravens this year.

I'll list and you tell me where you disagree:

I'd rather have:

Brady

Brees

Rodgers

Manning

Manning

Roethlisberger

Luck

Russel Wilson

And put him in a group with:

Kaepernick

RG3

So 100 million for an end of the top 10 qb? One that has lost time and again in the playoffs? That seems crazy to me and they will pay the price for it. Unfortunately it is a qb game and he gets whatever he wants....

I will take Ryan before Luck or Wilson with out even thinking about it.

Before P. Manning and Roethlisberger.

I think he is even with Eli Manning- who has had the best front seven D in the league when he won the SB's.

I think he is probably behind Brady and Rodgers. Maybe Brees. But that is it.

The problem with listing the QBs in a hierarchy is that some are on the downside and others are on the upside.

Are Manning, Brady, Brees, and Big Ben better than Ryan?

Probably.

Will they be in 2 years?

Quite possibly not.

That's why everyone says that they would build around Aaron Rodgers. Because at 29 years old, he's still pretty solidly in his prime.

Matt Ryan is 28 years old. If you were building a team most people would take him over some of the older, better QBs.

One other point on Ryan. Even though football is a team sport, 5 straight playoff appearances is impressive, especially for a team which had never before made the playoffs 2 years in a row.

The problem with listing the QBs in a hierarchy is that some are on the downside and others are on the upside.

Are Manning, Brady, Brees, and Big Ben better than Ryan?

Probably.

Will they be in 2 years?

Quite possibly not.

That's why everyone says that they would build around Aaron Rodgers. Because at 29 years old, he's still pretty solidly in his prime.

Matt Ryan is 28 years old. If you were building a team most people would take him over some of the older, better QBs.

One other point on Ryan. Even though football is a team sport, 5 straight playoff appearances is impressive, especially for a team which had never before made the playoffs 2 years in a row.

I agree with the age and points of their career.

i will also say that right now i would take Ryan over Big Ben and P Manning. Push with E. Manning.

Brees, Brady have about 2-3 years left maybe.

Rodgers because of his age and what he has done would be my first QB. After that it would be a toss up between Ryan and E. Manning for me if i was looking to build a team for the next 6-9 years.

I will take Ryan before Luck or Wilson with out even thinking about it.

Before P. Manning and Roethlisberger.

I think he is even with Eli Manning- who has had the best front seven D in the league when he won the SB's.

I think he is probably behind Brady and Rodgers. Maybe Brees. But that is it.

Ryan is "probably" behind Brady and Rogers? Wow, how hard was it for you to concede that?! Brees's worst season in 3 years was equivalent to Ryan's career best. Ditto for Brady--and those guys are much older (NFL-wise) than Ryan. ANd their defenses are also "bad"--worse than Ryan's.

I would take Luck or Wilson (and their current contracts) over Ryan (and his) without even thinking. Too easy.

I have a hard time putting two rookies with great defenses ahead of him. If they do it in year two then definitely. I'm always hesitant to jump on a one year wonder.

Ryan is a 2nd teir (5-10) QB. A 2nd tier QB is now worth 100 million.

I have a hard time putting two rookies with great defenses ahead of him. If they do it in year two then definitely. I'm always hesitant to jump on a one year wonder.

Ryan is a 2nd teir (5-10) QB. A 2nd tier QB is now worth 100 million.

Indy had a bad defense last year.

Since this is discussion of value, you have to take at least Luck ahead of Ryan.

$103.75 million for 5 years with $59 mil guaranteed. One playoff win. Buddy Nix hired by Atlanta? That's crazy insane money/contract. Falcons will regret that one.

The guy has been very consistent and dam good in the regular season. Peyton Manning took a while to have success in the playoffs (And most people would say that he still isn't the best playoff QB).

4719 yards 32 TD's and 14 INT's 2012

4177 yards 29 TD's and 12 INT's 2011

3705 yards 28 TD's and 9 INT's 2010

Those are some dam good statistics over the past three years and his first two years weren't too bad either. 10-6. 9-7, 13-3, 10-6, and 13-3 have been the Falcons records while he has been QB. Its a QB driven league for good QB play you have to pay up the nose.

Edited by billsfan89

Yea but you also had people that probably wanted Nassib or Barkley this year. So of course when you have thousands of people on a board you will have at least one person that wants someone who turns out great when draft day come just like you will have people wanting guys who aren't even in the league anymore. It still comes down to guessing game and the only one that counts (Bills) haven't been as good.

I would bet though people that wanted Russell or Kaep have also wanted people in the past who didn't make it in the league.

I didn't even really know who Keep was. I wanted Russell but I had no idea he would turn out this good.

What's your point? Professionals make the same mistakes. Tell me about Aaron Maybin or Mike Williams when you have some free time.

Keep talking about the one playoff win. He's 1-4 in the playoffs. All four losses came to the NFC representative in the Super Bowl. Would've beat the Cardinals in their SB year had Keith Brooking not blown a coverage on 3rd and 17 late in the fourth quarter.

Matt Ryan is a top five quarterback. MAYBE falls to six.

The Falcons are my pick for the Superbowl this season. If not this season, Ryan will have AT LEAST one Super Bowl in the next five years.

Edited by DStebb716