Five NFL scheme changes to watch: Offense

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000205917/article/five-nfl-scheme-changes-to-watch-offense

Buffalo Bills

While rookie quarterback EJ Manuel said the Bills' offense was easier to grasp than Florida State's, he also noted that Buffalo's playbook depicts "a true West Coast-type progression" attack.

We expect the Bills to operate out of a pro-style base with elements of up-tempo and zone-read concepts.

New Bills coach Doug Marrone fell in love with one-back formations and no-huddle looks last season at Syracuse. Flexibility will be paramount under coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, but what the new coaches must get right (and what Chan Gailey's staff never did) is consistently unleashing C.J. Spiller. Expect friskiness out of Buffalo.

Just one writer (a writer who gets paid to write) opinion. We will see if large does of CJ increases output or the average just does down when teams adjust to his style of play.

Smith shouldn't qualify as a whipping boy because he doesn't meet the minimal actual playing time requirement.

Ahh, but if you're counting dollars earned per minute he's the whipping boy of all whipping boys.

Not sure what to think of 'friskiness' out of Buffalo. Either as a snarky comment or as a legitimate description of the Bills offense.

Not the first time this offseason I've seen the word associated with Buffalo. Funny how Buffalo's new fast-paced offense has the potential to be frisky but Philly's new fast-paced offense has the potential to be dangerous and innovative.

Not the first time this offseason I've seen the word associated with Buffalo. Funny how Buffalo's new fast-paced offense has the potential to be frisky but Philly's new fast-paced offense has the potential to be dangerous and innovative.

so it goes when you're mired in irrelevance

So it goes. It's less important what people are saying and more important what the Bills are doing...

They have a lot on unknowns talent wise that at this point could flourish in the right offensive system IF they get capable QB play.

At this point I firmly believe that in order for EJ to be the franchise guy we hope him to be, he simply has to, HAS TO come out of preseason as a clearly better QB than journeyman Kolb, even if they ultimately opt to keep him out of the fire in favor of Kolb.

Similarly, a big to-do is made of Philly's implementation of the GPS devices to track player movement (MMQB site) but Buffalo is doing the same thing and gets nary a mention.

We just need to win, and the accolades will follow.