Cheap houses for sale....

Just Jack

Never been to Detroit. Don't know the areas, but I'm going to go ahead and guess that they are in heavily gang related neighborhoods being that cheap.

no. Not really at all. There is no reason to move to Detroit. Secondly, the taxes and entities/public systems suck. Schools there are awful.

The land alone should be worth more than what some of those houses are going for.

not if its in a neighborhood where you can't even walk outside your house without getting shot at/mugged/raped/etc...

not if its in a neighborhood where you can't even walk outside your house without getting shot at/mugged/raped/etc...

There are houses in my town that go for under 50k... And nobody is walking around getting shot, mugged, or raped... We got police following cars around "reading plates." :-P

The point is, change one house @ a time w/people staying there. My father is in the same house they bought new in 1964 in South Cheektowaga/West Seneca... They paid 16k for it brand new...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Detroit was once called the Paris of the West

Now it's more like Somalia

Forward!

:(

Same w/BFLO and other cities... BFLO and CHI were the two biggest cities on the Great Lakes @ one time. Why does BFLO die and places like CHI and TOR thrive? Zero-sum game, big winners and big losers... Winner take all... Just wait till the Asian carp hits Michigan, they will really scream Uncle! ;-) ;-)

There are houses in my town that go for under 50k... And nobody is walking around getting shot, mugged, or raped... We got police following cars around "reading plates." :-P

The point is, change one house @ a time w/people staying there. My father is in the same house they bought new in 1964 in South Cheektowaga/West Seneca... They paid 16k for it brand new...

under 50k is a lot different than 5k which some of those houses were advertised for. 5k for a house has got to have some serious issues. The neighborhood turning to crime would definitely be one of those possibilities.

5k for a house has got to have some serious issues.

One of the potential issues is back taxes. If the homeowner hasn't paid property taxes in a long time, you could be on the hook for all of the back taxes. My grandmother lives in a bad neighborhood in NF, and the house next to hers was a dump and going for a song -- because you'd have to pay something ridiculous like $20k in back taxes.

One of the potential issues is back taxes. If the homeowner hasn't paid property taxes in a long time, you could be on the hook for all of the back taxes. My grandmother lives in a bad neighborhood in NF, and the house next to hers was a dump and going for a song -- because you'd have to pay something ridiculous like $20k in back taxes.

That too. You'd think they'd release the house for the sake of improving the area. Total downward spiral.

That too. You'd think they'd release the house for the sake of improving the area. Total downward spiral.

I'm kind of surprised that a lefty like you would be willing to let something out of it's tax liability. Maybe there's hope for you yet

So, on a somewhat Buffalo Bills related note, what are your thoughts on applying Jack Kemp's idea of tax free enterprise zones to Detroit?

I'm kind of surprised that a lefty like you would be willing to let something out of it's tax liability. Maybe there's hope for you yet

So, on a somewhat Buffalo Bills related note, what are your thoughts on applying Jack Kemp's idea of tax free enterprise zones to Detroit?

I am a smart lefty... AND REASONABLE. :-P

I have no problem with it as long as they stay and not bog out later down the road. In theory it should stimulate, but there is no honor among business. Remember, these are highly competitive games being played between regions within our borders, let alone the world. Ideally there should be other incentives that brings business in. Why make it worse later down the line? Or, when the taxes kick in, business just jump ship to some other favorable place. Detroit has to bring something else to the table for it to work, IMO.

You have to figure some of these homes where bought and maintained by GM employees so they might be in pretty good shape, well some of them.

Like somebody else said, they might have back tax issues. And I bet some of them are in good areas.

That said why would you buy a house in Detroit?? The city is broke and didnt they just file for bankruptcy?

You have to figure some of these homes where bought and maintained by GM employees so they might be in pretty good shape, well some of them.

Like somebody else said, they might have back tax issues. And I bet some of them are in good areas.

That said why would you buy a house in Detroit?? The city is broke and didnt they just file for bankruptcy?

well---a lot of cities with very expensive avg homes are gonna be going bankrupt very soon as well...they are lining them up in California right now

well---a lot of cities with very expensive avg homes are gonna be going bankrupt very soon as well...they are lining them up in California right now

I just don't buy that. Many cities are poised better. Maybe some in Cali will go under... But like the poster above, it won't be San Diego. A city like BFLO (sole purpose for existing is now a dead end) was first and now Detroit. I am firm believer, they are like "Radiator Springs." What built them now bypasses them. It is all about CHEAP natural resources and global positioning that cities bring to the table. Some are better off than others... Detroit and BFLO are similar... DET even has a more tempered climate! They are in horrendous places for our "just in time" delivery world. Maybe I am too transportation orientated... Still, crap has to get from point A to point B. Did you notice how Chicago just farmed out their International Port to a company from Denver? Denver? Right on the heels of this DET mess... They sniff blood in the water for their Great Lakes gateway. It is going to be the first improvement to their international port (@ Lake Calumet) in over 30 years! 30 years! And still Chicago ranks in the top 30-40 in ports. They started making a profit last year for the first time in 10 years... Back in the black, and now they farm out to a corp in Denver... Survival of the fittest baby, that is how one stays alive.

Please, some argue against this... Play the other side of the "relevant" debate. Name one city that was created by their global positioning (bascially all) and then wiped out (many ways)... And then rebuilt themselves without those natural resources/positioning...

Detroit is doomed, no sense prolonging the agony and throw tax free around unless companies are committed and will stay... Too many bills to pay... Better off contracting down...

I just don't buy that. Many cities are poised better. Maybe some in Cali will go under... But like the poster above, it won't be San Diego. A city like BFLO (sole purpose for existing is now a dead end) was first and now Detroit. I am firm believer, they are like "Radiator Springs." What built them now bypasses them. It is all about CHEAP natural resources and global positioning that cities bring to the table. Some are better off than others... Detroit and BFLO are similar... DET even has a more tempered climate! They are in horrendous places for our "just in time" delivery world. Maybe I am too transportation orientated... Still, crap has to get from point A to point B. Did you notice how Chicago just farmed out their International Port to a company from Denver? Denver? Right on the heels of this DET mess... They sniff blood in the water for their Great Lakes gateway. It is going to be the first improvement to their international port (@ Lake Calumet) in over 30 years! 30 years! And still Chicago ranks in the top 30-40 in ports. They started making a profit last year for the first time in 10 years... Back in the black, and now they farm out to a corp in Denver... Survival of the fittest baby, that is how one stays alive.

Please, some argue against this... Play the other side of the "relevant" debate. Name one city that was created by their global positioning (bascially all) and then wiped out (many ways)... And then rebuilt themselves without those natural resources/positioning...

Detroit is doomed, no sense prolonging the agony and throw tax free around unless companies are committed and will stay... Too many bills to pay... Better off contracting down...

Don't mean to pop the "Radiator Spring" in your theory, but how do you explain Pittsburgh? The Steel City was "Geographically Blessed" as I believe you say with access to coal, iron, and oil and water access to the St Lawrence and Mississipi via their 3 Rivers. It was in the right place geographically at the right time with the right people. Carnegie's steel built America and the Oil Industry was born in Pittsburgh's back yard.

But the wells went dry and the steel mills moved overseas.

The thought of Pittsburgh collapsing never crossed anybody's mind. Nor have they spent decades circling the drain like Buffalo.

Pittsburgh learned to adapt. It's what Detroit, Buffalo, and the rest of America needs to learn

Don't mean to pop the "Radiator Spring" in your theory, but how do you explain Pittsburgh? The Steel City was "Geographically Blessed" as I believe you say with access to coal, iron, and oil and water access to the St Lawrence and Mississipi via their 3 Rivers. It was in the right place geographically at the right time with the right people. Carnegie's steel built America and the Oil Industry was born in Pittsburgh's back yard.

But the wells went dry and the steel mills moved overseas.

The thought of Pittsburgh collapsing never crossed anybody's mind. Nor have they spent decades circling the drain like Buffalo.

Pittsburgh learned to adapt. It's what Detroit, Buffalo, and the rest of America needs to learn

Natural resources still come out of the region... In my ports thread, I mentioned how the Tri-State Region of Huntington, WV is the busiest inland port and ranks in the top five... Even tops of all bulk commodities moved through the US... Domestic of course. Yes, manufactuting played a huge part... BUT raw resources still drive the region...

True, PITT diversified... BUT the cornerstone of why it was put there is still working for it. Like here in NW Indiana, they modernized Burns Harbor... Killed Beth in Lackawanna. Burns Harbor is still working steel... True, not the glory days... The industry is modern and streamlined... Same in PITT. BFLO was never a HQ town... Controlling interests from a far always controlled it. Detroit still fairs better, yet still a one horse town centered around manufacturing... When economies retract, they pull out of places and center around their HQ's... Pitt is in a very strategic location... It is why it was built there. Not saying DET isn't, it is just easily bypassed... BFLO has the worst global positioning, IMO. It's sole purpose for being has literally been made obsolete. Even your home town of Erie and the Cleveland area still handled it better.