Sleep Number vs Tempurpedic Mattress Bed

TSNBDSC

How much of a problem is the center divider ? Do you have issues every night with it ? I read where that issue gets worse as time goes on.

The center divider isn't a big problem for us. It doesn't wake me up during the night at all. But than after 7 years we are use to it. I know I sleep alot better than I did before. But I understand that some people don't like the sleep number bed at all. But as I said before we love it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to our local Mattress Firm and liked a Sealy Hybrid. half foam gel / half springs design. Has this Outlast fabric that is supposed to help with the heat retention issue foam has. Will try out the mattress before buying the non returnable adjustable base. Seems like sleep number has too many thing that can go wrong with it along with the center divider issue. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ki34v33Ovs

Edited by tsnbd

I've had a memory foam mattress since 2006. I love it! The only thing that I'd like to see improved on it is the heat factor, like some people have complained about it. Other than that, it's perfect! Also like how you can't feel the other person moving around. I'm a light sleeper, so this a plus for me. :thumbsup:

I've had a memory foam mattress since 2006. I love it! The only thing that I'd like to see improved on it is the heat factor, like some people have complained about it. Other than that, it's perfect! Also like how you can't feel the other person moving around. I'm a light sleeper, so this a plus for me. :thumbsup:

One of the best investments you can make for a hotter mattress is getting a silk comforter. It will keep you perfectly balanced between hot and cool. I love mine. I'm actually a proponent of spending some money on nice bedding...I never had been previously, but now that I've gotten some Thomas Lee sheets in here and my silk comforter, I'm really sleeping well.

I'm a big guy as well and I love my Serta. Firm mattress yet very comfortable.

Exactly...the one I got was known to be more on the firm side, as well, and I love it.

Sleep Number bed all but eliminated my wife's back problems. For years, when she would get up in the morning, it was a slow process. Sit up. Wait. Turn to put feet on floor. Wait. Get up slowly. Wait.

She now gets out of bed like any normal person.

For that alone it can fall apart tomorrow and I'd get another one.

One of the best investments you can make for a hotter mattress is getting a silk comforter. It will keep you perfectly balanced between hot and cool. I love mine. I'm actually a proponent of spending some money on nice bedding...I never had been previously, but now that I've gotten some Thomas Lee sheets in here and my silk comforter, I'm really sleeping well.

:thumbsup:

This is what I get when I do a "Thomas Lee" search on amazon. :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/White-Thomas-Train-Bedding-Sheet/dp/B00CMAYWIM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374009264&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=thomas+lee+sheet+set

Sleep number. 35 for me, 45 for the Mrs. Best bed we've ever had - for sleeping.

Now one of the downsides is when you're wanting to use the bed for, well for, well... hmmm other activities.

The top mattress tends to slide over quite easily and you could find yourself pushing the thing a foot or more off center depending on just exactly what you're doin' and how hard yer pushing... if ya get my drift... err, well, I think you know what I mean.

But for sleeping. It's the best. The box under mattress is a series of interlocking cubes of hard plastic. Then the mattress is a fabric sleeve that has interlocking foam sides - and the aforementioned middle foam divider that separate the two air mattresses. The thing zips up and there's a memory foam top that's about 3-4" thick. It's hands down the best mattress I've ever had - for sleeping on. :blush:

On another side topic - we just got ourselves a "My Pillow" and the initial results are in. We're still getting used to them a bit, but I have had a few long nights of sleep (which for me have been pretty rare in recent years).

Now one of the downsides is when you're wanting to use the bed for, well for, well... hmmm other activities.

On the upside, the mattress is really light (we have a king), so my wife has stopped asking me to help her make the bed.

Of course, she stopped asking me to mess it up, too, but I digress... :D

On the upside, the mattress is really light (we have a king), so my wife has stopped asking me to help her make the bed.

Of course, she stopped asking me to mess it up, too, but I digress... :D

:lol:

I second the comments on the center divide not really being an issue.

The thing with memory foam is that typically you'll feel WORSE the first three days, because your body settles into it a bit differently. So I always tell people to give it a good week before they pass judgement on it. I haven't used a spring bed since 2004 and have no plans to go with anything else.

Agree entirely we got ours around 2006 tempurpedic and have been very happy.

Agree entirely we got ours around 2006 tempurpedic and have been very happy.

I remember the first time I came across a tempurpedic. It was back in the early 90s, I believe, and it was at Brookstore in the Marketplace Mall (Rochester). I think they were using the NASA information in the signage, so we were pretty fascinated by it. I had never felt anything like that, and that experience stayed with me until I finally got around to ordering a memory foam mattress of my own.

I also really enjoy my memory foam pillows. I have about four of those and they're very comfortable. Those tend to get a bit hotter than the mattress does, though, so I have to switch up during the night.

:thumbsup:

This is what I get when I do a "Thomas Lee" search on amazon. :lol:

http://www.amazon.co...s lee sheet set

lol...yeah, you have to buy Thomas Lee direct from the company. Amazon has some great silk comforters though...I'll never go back to any other kind.

On another side topic - we just got ourselves a "My Pillow" and the initial results are in. We're still getting used to them a bit, but I have had a few long nights of sleep (which for me have been pretty rare in recent years).

I ordered a MyPillow about a month ago and I agree, very good pillow. I haven't found a good one in forever but this thing is comfortable and doesn't get too hot.

I ordered a MyPillow about a month ago and I agree, very good pillow. I haven't found a good one in forever but this thing is comfortable and doesn't get too hot.

Never heard of MyPillow, but I *LOVE* these pillows:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Down-Fiber-Pillow-Queen/dp/B000JCIG96/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2VP3LPK6RMCN&coliid=I2O7DQP8MM66AG

Heard of problems with the center divider on sleep number but the m7 model with a layer of foam/gel may mask that . SN gives you 100 days to check it out. 25 year warranty also.

Have had one for over ten years, and love it. My wife had an issue with the divider, she sprawls, and they sold us a new at a pro rated price.

I like my firm and have had no problems.

Checked out the brand new Tempur-Choice Collection ( http://www.furniture...rbed_market.php ). 5 years on everything. Pro rated afterwards. Kinda combines the best of tempur pedic stuff with the best of sleep number air. Not all foam. Dude says heat retention has been addressed (we'll see). 90 days. $300 restock. Went here http://www.relaxtheback.com/sleep/tempurpedic-mattresses/tempur-choice-luxe-mattress.html .

Edited by tsnbd

After visiting a half dozen stores and twice as many web sites we decided on the Tempur-Choice Luxe with adjustable base. Seems like they took what Sleep Number failed on ( center divider, construction, etc. ) and improved on it. 5 years to back it up 100 %. Thanks to all for you insight. http://www.tempurpedic.com/tempur-choice-collection/tempur-pedic-tempur-choice-luxe.asp