Sleep Number vs Tempurpedic Mattress Bed

TSNBDSC

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a huge memory foam guy. Tempurpedic is great, but you'll pay out the rear. I went for the new Serta memory foam mattresses, which are actually made by a company called Sleep Innovations.

Iv'e also had a topper from these guys: http://www.isoform.com/ It's an American company and one of only about three companies that manufacturer memory foam that is the same density as the Nasa standard (Tempurpedic also meets this standard).

I've never been on a Sleep number bed, but I know people who seem to like them.

Good friend of mine had a Sleep Number and said it was not good. He prefers a firmer mattress and said he essentially had to put the thing at 100 from the get-go and it still wasn't "firm."

My wife and I are in the market for a new mattress as well; not sure who we'll go with. ajzepp, tell me how you're liking the Serta.

ajzepp, tell me how you're liking the Serta.

I love it. I bought this one two years ago when Serta was just starting to re-badge the Sleep Innovations products (which are very, very highly reviewed on Amazon). I think they have a new line out that features their cool gel memory foam, so I'm sure those are even better. I never had a big problem with pressure points on the nicer pillow mattresses, but the memory foam ones seem to really just conform to you as you sleep and distribute pressure evenly from head to toe.

The thing with memory foam is that typically you'll feel WORSE the first three days, because your body settles into it a bit differently. So I always tell people to give it a good week before they pass judgement on it. I haven't used a spring bed since 2004 and have no plans to go with anything else.

I have a sleep number, and the divider in between the two sides can be annoying from time to time. If they improved it, that'd be great. Otherwise, the bed is good. I don't have a lot to compare it to, but I'm happy with it. :)

I love it. I bought this one two years ago when Serta was just starting to re-badge the Sleep Innovations products (which are very, very highly reviewed on Amazon). I think they have a new line out that features their cool gel memory foam, so I'm sure those are even better. I never had a big problem with pressure points on the nicer pillow mattresses, but the memory foam ones seem to really just conform to you as you sleep and distribute pressure evenly from head to toe.

The thing with memory foam is that typically you'll feel WORSE the first three days, because your body settles into it a bit differently. So I always tell people to give it a good week before they pass judgement on it. I haven't used a spring bed since 2004 and have no plans to go with anything else.

Thanks for the feedback. We bought a bed a few years ago (I know) and made the mistake of buying into the "half and half" construction to match our specific preferences. Well, as you would (and we should have) expected, that divider in the middle is a nuisance, but worse, we now have matching "canoes" on each side. Because of the divider you can't rotate the mattress. We feel like idiots for wasting that money but you live and learn.

The Serta memory foam mattresses are carried at Sam's so I'll do some more searching for reviews on those. I feel as though as long as we can rotate the mattress we'll avoid the "canoe" issue in the future.

I love my sleep number bed. Before I bought it I was at the doctor about once a month with back problems. Since we got it home and adjusted correct I have been to the doctor for my back 2 times. We have had the bed for 7 years now. The only problem is my wife,number is 35 and mine is 85. Now the center divider sometimes is a problem. I find myself rolling down hill sort of onto her side. But I still just love it. My wife says it is good. She gives it a 60 out of a 100 I say a 95 out of 100. I also sleep alot better than I did before .

I love my sleep number bed. Before I bought it I was at the doctor about once a month with back problems. Since we got it home and adjusted correct I have been to the doctor for my back 2 times. We have had the bed for 7 years now. The only problem is my wife,number is 35 and mine is 85. Now the center divider sometimes is a problem. I find myself rolling down hill sort of onto her side. But I still just love it. My wife says it is good. She gives it a 60 out of a 100 I say a 95 out of 100. I also sleep alot better than I did before .

How much of a problem is the center divider ? Do you have issues every night with it ? I read where that issue gets worse as time goes on.

Edited by tsnbd

Thanks for the feedback. We bought a bed a few years ago (I know) and made the mistake of buying into the "half and half" construction to match our specific preferences. Well, as you would (and we should have) expected, that divider in the middle is a nuisance, but worse, we now have matching "canoes" on each side. Because of the divider you can't rotate the mattress. We feel like idiots for wasting that money but you live and learn.

The Serta memory foam mattresses are carried at Sam's so I'll do some more searching for reviews on those. I feel as though as long as we can rotate the mattress we'll avoid the "canoe" issue in the future.

LOL@matching canoes

That's awesome that Sams carries them...if you check them out, let me know how the new ones are!

LOL@matching canoes

That's awesome that Sams carries them...if you check them out, let me know how the new ones are!

Yeah, and when you consider my wife weighs 120-125 and I top out at 185, the fact the mattress has already lost its structural integrity is a friggin' joke.

Edited by eball

^^^This. if one or another prefers a very "soft" bed. Essentially you have 2 twin beds on one frame. We gave up and dumped it. Rolling downhill with a bad back is far from fun, and interrupts sleep.If your tall and like to stretch out. Forget it.

^^^This. if one or another prefers a very "soft" bed. Essentially you have 2 twin beds on one frame. We gave up and dumped it. Rolling downhill with a bad back is far from fun, and interrupts sleep.If your tall and like to stretch out. Forget it.

Was it a sleep number ?

Yeah, and when you consider my wife weighs 120-125 and I top out at 185, the fact the mattress has already lost its structural integrity is a friggin' joke.

Oh wow, yeah that's ridiculous...that won't happen with the Sertas...I'm like an NFL lineman and haven't had any probs at all.