Another reason I genuinely like Rex Ryan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not "defending" anyone. You are confusing rebutting incorrect statements, or strange ones, with "defending" others. Look how the Bills have managed the offense over the past...pick a number...of seasons. Yet near uniform support of clowns like Gailey and Jauron and Mularkey before him was all we saw on this site.

Why would a Bills fans be thrilled about a guy who has handed their team's collective dick to them for 4 years? What is counterintuitve, is talking crap about other teams in our division who we struggle to beat except every few years. When you are on the bottom looking up, it doesn't make sense to run your mouth about the fellows keeping you down. You can do so when you dominate them.

Doesn't that make more sense?

Umm, welcome to a fan-based football forum. Make yourself comfortable and stick around for a while.

Edited by eball

The Ryan (and Snachez) led Jets are 6-2 vs. the Bills. Why should you be "totally thrilled" about that?

That record is more an indication of the Bills incompetence than the Jets' prowess. As eball has said, the tide is turning for sure. My discussion was on Rex Ryan as a coach and I did not bring the Bills into any of my points. Not sure why you took this opportunity to once again bash the Bills.

Why would a Bills fans be thrilled about a guy who has handed their team's collective dick to them for 4 years? What is counterintuitve, is talking crap about other teams in our division who we struggle to beat except every few years. When you are on the bottom looking up, it doesn't make sense to run your mouth about the fellows keeping you down. You can do so when you dominate them.

Doesn't that make more sense?

I know you were not addressing me, but to me this makes no sense. You are implying that I cannot objectively evaluate any personnel or coach of a team that beats the Bills ? As an example, Bradon Spikes is a POS and will always be. But, as a member of a team that routinely beats the Bills, am I not allowed to say that ?

This is a discussion board and I feel no inferiority complex while commenting on an opponent.

Cool article.

I honestly never had a problem with Ryan.

You've got to understand-- that brashness that he displays is a double-edged sword. It is great when things are going well, but it will sink him in the end.

Same here; hell, I even liked his father. Bills fans would have been in love with Ryan if he coached here.

That said, watching the Jets fall apart is highly enjoyable comedy.

There have been many Bills fans talk smack about Ryan, but a couple years back many of those ripping him would be the same ones welcoming him if he had become our HC.

But what a difference a couple years makes.

That record is more an indication of the Bills incompetence than the Jets' prowess. As eball has said, the tide is turning for sure. My discussion was on Rex Ryan as a coach and I did not bring the Bills into any of my points. Not sure why you took this opportunity to once again bash the Bills.

Bashing the Bills?? I'm not bashing the Bills (you point out their incompetence, I see). I was pointing out the silliness of some superfans who dump on a HC or a team that has owned us for the entire time they (HC and team) have co-existed. Nice try.

The tide may be turning, but we can't be "certain" until we see the Bills beat all of these teams in our division, starting with Jets.

I know you were not addressing me, but to me this makes no sense. You are implying that I cannot objectively evaluate any personnel or coach of a team that beats the Bills ? As an example, Bradon Spikes is a POS and will always be. But, as a member of a team that routinely beats the Bills, am I not allowed to say that ?

This is a discussion board and I feel no inferiority complex while commenting on an opponent.

Irony aside (your concept of the objective is interesting), you are free to comment on anyone you want. But when you or others comment that the Jets suck or are over rated or are crashing and burning (stuff printed here every season), it carries little weight without the Bills beating these guys regularly. Makes us look like ankle biters.

I guess it may make you feel better to bad mouth them, but I would rather beat them like they have beaten us--own them like they've owned us. Then we can all mock them--you know, to the victors go the spoils and all that.

This really makes no sense to you?

I agree with Dave and WebsterGuy.

I find Rex very likable and charismatic, partly because he's an obviously flawed person who can poke fun at himself and is comfortable in his own skin. He seems like he'd be a great guy to hang out with. He's very honest (actually too honest) and he's probably better-suited to being a coordinator than a head coach.

As far as the Jets go, I hate them and predicted in 2010 that their success was unsustainable and that their team would eventually implode due to a slew of big money/name player signings: Santonio Holmes, LaDainian Tomlinson, Bart Scott, Jason Taylor, Braylon Edwards, and huge extensions for Ferguson, Mangold, and Revis. When I criticized their team building approach several people (you can guess who they were) here argued that the Jets were going about it the right way. Those people were wrong.

It was obvious then that they were built for the short run. Their GM was fired. Rex is hanging by a thread. They have a QB crisis and no one is predicting anything special for them.

As far as the Jets owning us recently, that has almost nothing to do with Sanchez so yes, I'm glad he's their quarterback. He sucks and Geno sucks and now they're talking about another QB timeshare like the failed attempt of last year by their now-deposed offensive coordinator.

The Jets are a trainwreck. We beat their asses in the last meeting, we have a winning record against them all time, and we have a better all-time winning percentage than them. The Jets suck and will continue to suck.

And finally, we're fans. We can say anything the !@#$ we want about other teams whether it's trash talking them or being amused or happy when bad things happen to them. That's exactly what we're supposed to do and it's exactly what their fans would do in the same situation. It's ridiculous that Bills fans here would try to curb the zeal of others Bills fans who are doing what sports fans do naturally: cheer for their own team and "hate" on their rivals. It's an absurd idea and points to some Bills fans having low self-esteem and allowing their own feelings of inadequacy to effect their behavior and worse, attempt to change the behavior of other Bills fans who don't have low self-esteem.

Advice for people who think it's wrong for Bills fans here to act like normal sports fans everywhere: don't post. You're weird and your weirdness has zero value here. Go start a forum for other weird fans who think that until the team starts winning we have to sit on our hands with our heads bowed in a darkened room and avoid making negative comments about teams we've hated our entire lives. If you hate your identity as a Bills fan, you know where the door is. I have a Bills bumper sticker on my toolbox at work and wear a Bills hard hat on Fridays during the football season. If people give me crap I give it right back. There's no shame, there's pride. We love our team and we're not fair-weather fans. If you can't act like a normal sports fan who loves his/her team and dislikes his/her opponents and rivals then maybe you shouldn't follow sports. If it's too hard for you to cheer for a team that's fallen on hard times, then give up.

We won't miss you.

I agree with Dave and WebsterGuy.

I find Rex very likable and charismatic, partly because he's an obviously flawed person who can poke fun at himself and is comfortable in his own skin. He seems like he'd be a great guy to hang out with. He's very honest (actually too honest) and he's probably better-suited to being a coordinator than a head coach.

As far as the Jets go, I hate them and predicted in 2010 that their success was unsustainable and that their team would eventually implode due to a slew of big money/name player signings: Santonio Holmes, LaDainian Tomlinson, Bart Scott, Jason Taylor, Braylon Edwards, and huge extensions for Ferguson, Mangold, and Revis. When I criticized their team building approach several people (you can guess who they were) here argued that the Jets were going about it the right way. Those people were wrong.

It was obvious then that they were built for the short run. Their GM was fired. Rex is hanging by a thread. They have a QB crisis and no one is predicting anything special for them.

As far as the Jets owning us recently, that has almost nothing to do with Sanchez so yes, I'm glad he's their quarterback. He sucks and Geno sucks and now they're talking about another QB timeshare like the failed attempt of last year by their now-deposed offensive coordinator.

The Jets are a trainwreck. We beat their asses in the last meeting, we have a winning record against them all time, and we have a better all-time winning percentage than them. The Jets suck and will continue to suck.

And finally, we're fans. We can say anything the !@#$ we want about other teams whether it's trash talking them or being amused or happy when bad things happen to them. That's exactly what we're supposed to do and it's exactly what their fans would do in the same situation. It's ridiculous that Bills fans here would try to curb the zeal of others Bills fans who are doing what sports fans do naturally: cheer for their own team and "hate" on their rivals. It's an absurd idea and points to some Bills fans having low self-esteem and allowing their own feelings of inadequacy to effect their behavior and worse, attempt to change the behavior of other Bills fans who don't have low self-esteem.

Advice for people who think it's wrong for Bills fans here to act like normal sports fans everywhere: don't post. You're weird and your weirdness has zero value here. Go start a forum for other weird fans who think that until the team starts winning we have to sit on our hands with our heads bowed in a darkened room and avoid making negative comments about teams we've hated our entire lives. If you hate your identity as a Bills fan, you know where the door is. I have a Bills bumper sticker on my toolbox at work and wear a Bills hard hat on Fridays during the football season. If people give me crap I give it right back. There's no shame, there's pride. We love our team and we're not fair-weather fans. If you can't act like a normal sports fan who loves his/her team and dislikes his/her opponents and rivals then maybe you shouldn't follow sports. If it's too hard for you to cheer for a team that's fallen on hard times, then give up.

We won't miss you.

Holy Jeebus.......

Is the Bills v Jets really such a rivalry? Do the Jets know this?

Anyway, you are free to hate on anyone or team you wish. I just don't see the point in mocking a team and a coach that has owned us for 4 years. I don't need to do that to support the Bills, or to be a real fan. We all have our ways. But don't expect me to accept that Ryan, for example, is a bad coach or a bum or whatever, just because you think I should hate him also. It's "normal" not to hate him and I don't think too many people are keeping score as to who can hate the loudest=best type of fan. The most pious man doesn't always sit in the first pew, you know...

I won't need to go elsewhere to be a Bills fan. Suggesting I should shows the level of tolerance of different points of view here. Conform or leave.

Peace! See you at training camp perhaps. We can have a brew and a slice...

Look, I don't like the Jets (obviously), but anyone who has ever played for him has said that he's fair and honest -- far more honest than most coaches, if players are to be believed. He also has a sharp coaching mind. I find him entertaining and fun. He brings life to the league, in contrast to the grim Belichicks and bland Jaurons of the world. In short, he comes across as a person who wears his heart on his sleeve and loves life. The fact that he's a Jets coach is neither here nor there.

Have you ever played Strat-o-matic? Are you familiar with the culture of it? Here's a pretty cool article about it: http://cnnsi.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?expire=&title=The+story+of+Strat-O-Matic+and+its+founder%2C+Hal+Richman+-+Joe+Lemire+-+SI.com&urlID=446593262&action=cpt&partnerID=678912&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsportsillustrated.cnn.com%2F2011%2Fwriters%2Fjoe_lemire%2F02%2F10%2Fstrat.o.matic%2Findex.html

Why yes I have.....first played it using cards based on the 1966 season. Hank Aaron..Willie McCovey..Mickey Mantle...Sandy Koufax...Dick Allen...Sam McDowell...ah, the days of my youth.

P.S. also the football version of the same year..

Edited by Spiderweb

When I criticized their team building approach several people (you can guess who they were) here argued that the Jets were going about it the right way. Those people were wrong.

We won't miss you.

Awesome post, SJBF.

Especially the last 3 paragraphs.

We won't miss you.

It's ironic that a guy who joined TBD 1799 days ago and has to date racked up 18,607 posts would be calling anyone else "weird." Having posted an average of over 10 posts a day for what's going on nearly 5 years is the epitome of "weird." Your obsession with grown men in colorful outfits would shame an 11 year old Justin Beiber fan.

To get back to the OP's topic (before the thread got hijacked by the previously mentioned nonsense). Anyone who is into Strat-o-Matic can't be all bad.