Article on Marrone

eball

Everyone who considers him/herself a Bills fan should take a few minutes to read the Buff News article on Marrone posted today. In particular, it addresses his path to becoming a HC and there are some good quotes throughout.

Don't know how we could not be excited about getting this guy as our coach.

Go Bills!

I feel like the same things were said about Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, and Gailey. I wanna wait til I see results on the field before I get too excited. I have to admit tho, it is nice to have a coach that seems to relate well with his players and has a real sense of energy to him.

I feel like the same things were said about Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, and Gailey. I wanna wait til I see results on the field before I get too excited. I have to admit tho, it is nice to have a coach that seems to relate well with his players and has a real sense of energy to him.

Just like the same things were said about Belichik, Lombardi, Parcells, etc.

+1...

Actions speak louder than words... I, myself, will choose to reserve judgment until I've seen a full season or two. Everything sounds nice in the papers, however papers don't put us into the "W" column.

I don't remember that at all. Williams, and Mularkey were on no one's radar other than Donahoe's. He had lost a power struggle with Cower. So he hired coaches that would be beholding to him.

Jauron was a panic choice, Levi told Mularkey he could stay, after the firing of Donahoe. Mularkey then quit.

Gailey got the job by default.

Edited by chris heff

This is a must read for serious Bills fans.Good research by Mark Gaughan and the piece is filled with so much info that many of the paragraphs are short and the narrative a bit choppy because he had to report so much information. It reads a bit like a timeline but has tons of really good info. The article could actually have run as a two-parter on Saturday and Sunday.The people who give Marrone short-shrift for the job he did at Syracuse ought to read this. That program was near the very bottom of Division I when he took over. By casual football fans he doesn't get near the credit he deserves for the job he did at Cuse. Marrone was a hot coaching prospect and it's to the Bills credit that they got him:

Even in 2007 and 2008, Marrone was on the NFL radar as a head-coaching candidate. He was interviewed by an executive search firm the NFL hires each year to identify “high-potential” assistants. About 10 aides are picked each year, and the one-hour interviews are sent to all 32 clubs.But Syracuse came calling before any NFL team, and Marrone jumped at the chance in 2009 to become his alma mater’s head coach.

One of numerous interesting facts about Marrone in Gaughan's piece:

Marrone took a non-paid position as a volunteer tight ends coach at Cortland State instead of position as a graduate assistant at USC because he would have more responsibility and would learn more.

That led to a job as offensive line aide at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, coached by Bill Schmitz, who had coached with the Monarchs.

“He offered me the job, and it might have been $7,000 a year,” Marrone said. “I took it. He was shocked. He made me sign a napkin. That was my first coaching contract, on a napkin at some restaurant in New London, Conn.”

He also was mentored by former NFL Head Coach Homer Rice who tried to put him on a career track as a Division I Athletic Director, a path Rice would help pave for him. Marrone turned away from the generous offer and chose the more difficult route of becoming an NFL head coach. This is no surprise though because he was admitted to law schools but chose to pursue a coaching career.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

This is a must read for serious Bills fans.Good research by Mark Gaughan and the piece is filled with so much info that many of the paragraphs are short and the narrative a bit choppy because he had to report so much information. It reads a bit like a timeline but has tons of really good info. The article could actually have run as a two-parter on Saturday and Sunday.The people who give Marrone short-shrift for the job he did at Syracuse ought to read this. That program was near the very bottom of Division I when he took over. By casual football fans he doesn't get near the credit he deserves for the job he did at Cuse.And Marrone was a hot coaching prospect and it's to the Bills credit that they got him:

Even in 2007 and 2008, Marrone was on the NFL radar as a head-coaching candidate. He was interviewed by an executive search firm the NFL hires each year to identify “high-potential” assistants. About 10 aides are picked each year, and the one-hour interviews are sent to all 32 clubs.But Syracuse came calling before any NFL team, and Marrone jumped at the chance in 2009 to become his alma mater’s head coach.

One of numerous interesting facts about Marrone in Gaughan's piece:

Marrone took a non-paid position as a volunteer tight ends coach at Cortland State instead of position as a graduate assistant at USC because he would have more responsibility and would learn more.

He also was mentored by former NFL Head Coach Homer Rice who tried to put him on a career track as a Division I Athletic Director, a path Rice would help pave for him. Marrone turned away from the generous offer and chose the more difficult route of becoming an NFL head coach.

Very good article. When the Bills were interviewing candidates, I hoped that Marrone would be their guy. I didn't want a retread and I had and still have the feeling that Brian Kelly will be back coaching college football two years from now.

Finally one other paragraph which grabbed me (again you guys have to read this, there is tons of good research by Gaughan). Marrone talks about being the Saints OC and being on the Superdome sidelines before the first game after Hurricane Katrina:

“The buildup in the city on that first game back was unbelievable,” Marrone said. “We were getting ready to kick off, and it was so loud. I turned around to look at the stands, which is something I wouldn’t normally do, and people were literally crying. What it told me was you can influence a region. You can make people’s lives better by the sport we play. You can rejuvenate a community. It’s just not about what’s on the field.”

I think the Bills finally got the HC hire right and I'm gonna predict that on the late afternoon of September 8th, there will be lots of Bills fans crying.

Tears of joy.

This "I'll wait before getting excited" stuff is boring and the easy way out. I'm happy to be excited any chance I get. Life's too short to feel differently, at least to me.

Go Bills!

Finally one other paragraph which grabbed me (again you guys have to read this, there is tons of good research by Gaughan). Marrone talks about being the Saints OC and being on the Superdome sidelines before the first game after Hurricane Katrina:

“The buildup in the city on that first game back was unbelievable,” Marrone said. “We were getting ready to kick off, and it was so loud. I turned around to look at the stands, which is something I wouldn’t normally do, and people were literally crying. What it told me was you can influence a region. You can make people’s lives better by the sport we play. You can rejuvenate a community. It’s just not about what’s on the field.”

I think the Bills finally got the HC hire right and I'm gonna predict that on the late afternoon of September 8th, there will be lots of Bills fans crying.

Tears of joy.

i feel really good about the hiring of coach marrone because he seems very genuine and he seems to understand that while football is a sport and the nfl is a business, it is so much more than that. if you were to ask random fans inside the stadium what the buffalo bills mean to them, i believe that is the pulse coach marrone has his finger on.

This "I'll wait before getting excited" stuff is boring and the easy way out. I'm happy to be excited any chance I get. Life's too short to feel differently, at least to me.

Go Bills!

i will absolutely second that!

Terrific article. For once there is some real, sustained legwork behind it. It's not just from press conferences and press releases.

It paints a very interesting picture of Marrone. I was fine with the hire, but not overly enthusiastic from what I've seen of him in press conferences, etc. (Not super critical, mind you, just not overly enthusiastic.) Well, after this article I am feeling MUCH more charged about Marrone as our head coach. He seems quite impressive in a number of ways. Definitely his own guy. Not just another robo-coach.

You never know how things will turn out, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him do a great job here. I'd be rooting for anyone the Bills hired, since I have the incurable medical condition of being an unreasonable Bills fan. But I'll be pulling for this guy extra hard. Would love for him to turn out to be "the one."

Everyone who considers him/herself a Bills fan should take a few minutes to read the Buff News article on Marrone posted today. In particular, it addresses his path to becoming a HC and there are some good quotes throughout.

Don't know how we could not be excited about getting this guy as our coach.

Go Bills!

Thanks for sharing.

The Rochester D&C had an article as well

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20130714/SPORTS03/307140031

Yep, I'm on board now. I was a little reluctant at first, but I'm ready to see what this guy can do. Seems like he's an easy one to root for.

I liked the article but I also found a similar praising article on Rochester D&C. Two coming out at same time....makes me think that the BB PR dept has exposed their media mouthpieces. They are trying (and its understandable) to generate a lot of hype prior to training camp to get the fans excited for the upcoming season. That's what they are supposed to as a PR dept tho. But we can get on-board, excited, etc all we want. This to me means nothing. It would mean more if say they started the season 4-0 or at least beating the pats day 1.