"Thanks for the wedding gift, do you have the reciept?"

Just Jack

I think in this case the gift basket people definitely come off looking cheap and that it was something thrown together at the last minute. However, in no way was it appropriate for the newlyweds to basically "call them out on it". Both at fault and the givers probably should have skipped the reception and sent the basket.

Totally agree.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was disappointing/confusing in that if we're not all playing by the same rule book, why play at all. Guilt from "well, we were very grateful they traveled to be with us in the first place."

I do believe being present is the best present (long, self-satisfied Carollaesque sniff). But c'mon. You open the gifts. You receive them. And some make you go "hmm."

We got a used blender from an old relative from my wife. We smiled, were grateful, looked at each other and said "Daiquiris!!!"

Jim, I am with you, my ex and i did a JoP wedding then later in the summer we had a big cook-out party at my parents house...we asked for no gifts, we just wanted to have a party...granted not the same as a formal wedding situation, but we made the decision not to go that route because we wanted a 'non-pressure' celebration of us and those around us. And who ever said you got an invitation, not an admission ticket...very well put

We got a used blender from an old relative from my wife. We smiled, were grateful, looked at each other and said "Daiquiris!!!"

Exactly. Let alone a lesbian marriage as in this case. Double whammy when there is no groom to temper the bride. "Gee honey, maybe you should let this go and not text them for the receipt." As in my earlier link, probably why the divorce rates skyrocket with same sex female marriages...

I think a 14" Dildo with the name "King Dong" emblazoned on the box would be appropriate for this "happy" couple.....otherwise "candlesticks are always nice."

Too rigid...I'm told.

King Dong ??...or the candlesticks?? Funny thing is my wife and I got a pair of candlesticks for our wedding and they were in a funky blue glass style....if a cop ever searches my house they will confiscate them as bongs...spot on match.

I had people at my wedding who gave nothing, and that is fine. If you're doing the inviting, there's a reasonable expectation that this isn't going to be a money-making venture.

I will say this though the money we did get really helped. We were young (I had just turned 22) and were moving across the country to a job I had in CA. We still have the gift list. I'll look it up when I get home. Should be interesting.

I will say this though the money we did get really helped. We were young (I had just turned 22) and were moving across the country to a job I had in CA. We still have the gift list. I'll look it up when I get home. Should be interesting.

Do you recall how much you and your wife spent on the wedding itself?

Not to jump on Jim's bandwagon, but we were mid thirties, paid for the wedding ourselves, (about 10k,) asked people to donate to one of two charities instead of bring gifts. We had all the chit we needed living in a 900 sq ft condo , wasn't much room for anything else anyways LOL.

We did get some very personal , homemade gifts...cost nothing to the folks who gave them to us except time and effort and love , and we still proudly display these gifts to this day 16 years later.

Gifts at weddings for older folks is just crude to me.

Jim, I am with you, my ex and i did a JoP wedding then later in the summer we had a big cook-out party at my parents house...we asked for no gifts, we just wanted to have a party...granted not the same as a formal wedding situation, but we made the decision not to go that route because we wanted a 'non-pressure' celebration of us and those around us. And who ever said you got an invitation, not an admission ticket...very well put

I think that's a pretty cool way of doing it. I wish more people went this route.

Not to jump on Jim's bandwagon, but we were mid thirties, paid for the wedding ourselves, (about 10k,) asked people to donate to one of two charities instead of bring gifts. We had all the chit we needed living in a 900 sq ft condo , wasn't much room for anything else anyways LOL.

We did get some very personal , homemade gifts...cost nothing to the folks who gave them to us except time and effort and love , and we still proudly display these gifts to this day 16 years later.

Gifts at weddings for older folks is just crude to me.

Why does this response of yours make me feel like a shallow SOB for enjoying/appreciating the cash and gifts we received at our wedding?? Way to bring me down...did you marry Martha Stewart by chance?? :nana: j/k Very nice gesture on your part.

Zero. That's what parents are for. Do parents no longer pay for weddings?

Not always in this country. Which is why I'm going to get married in India. Not only will the bride's family pay far out the ass, but her family will give my family many goats.

I would tend to agree with him but I'm biased since I'm already his "lap dog". But when my wife and I got married we basically sent an announcement that we were getting married at Lake Tahoe and gave the day and time. We put in the announcement/invite that we would love to see you there but if you couldn't afford it then we understood because we couldn't afford to pay for a big wedding. A lot of people still showed, and we had an excellent time.

there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with enjoying gifts of money and expensive gifts, the whole point of this discussion is how each gift should be welcomed because who knows what is going on behind the other person's front door...some are able and willing to indulge, some (raises hand) still sometimes have trouble scraping a couple extra bucks together, but still want to enjoy in our family/friends special day. Its where these alleged expectations come into the mix..I'd rather get a nicely done scrapbook of pictures and memories, that'll last alot longer than any amount of money...

Why does this response of yours make me feel like a shallow SOB for enjoying/appreciating the cash and gifts we received at our wedding?? Way to bring me down...did you marry Martha Stewart by chance?? :nana: j/k Very nice gesture on your part.

Not always in this country. Which is why I'm going to get married in India. Not only will the bride's family pay far out the ass, but her family will give my family many goats.

And the best part? No dating. "Here's our daughter, she's yours."

I work with an Indian guy, not the best looking guy and the least fun by far. (You know I don't drink Jim? Yes_______, I know you don't drink :rolleyes: ) His arranged marriage wife is smoking hot!! We were at a wedding a number of years ago and my wife said "look at what __________ is wearing.....emeralds!" A huge necklace with matching earings and braclet. $$$

Edited by Chef Jim