MMQB - Steve gleason

NoSaint

Same as every summer, Peter king has guests writing mmqb until training camp. Today was Steve gleason (saints special teamer with als)

Its well worth the read as an outside the lines type article. Seriously, take the 5 minutes if you like human interest stories at all. He's smart, philosophical and touches on a lot of cool stuff- from technology to his fears for his son. He even rates his top 5 rock bands for Wawrow

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130617/steve-gleason-monday-morning-quarterback/?sct=hp_wr_a1&eref=sihp

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This was terrific and humbling.

ive been to a few events for his charity, and terrific and humbling pretty well sums up the feeling walking out of each.

its been sad watching his health deteriorate, especially when you see it in person, but he takes his "awesome aint easy" slogan to heart and has been doing amazing things despite the challenges.

Edited by NoSaint

Perspective is a heck of a tonic for life's day to day 'problems.' That was a great read. Loved this section...

"I sit somewhere on the razor's edge. I am so happy to hear my son say, I love you dadu. So happy I want to explode. But I also have fleeting, but agonizing moments of frustration as I watch my friends throw him giggling in the air. I just want so badly to hug him like I used to hug the people I love so much, to brush his hair or hold his hand."

Sometimes the simplest things become the most important when they are no longer within grasp.

Perspective is a heck of a tonic for life's day to day 'problems.' That was a great read. Loved this section...

"I sit somewhere on the razor's edge. I am so happy to hear my son say, I love you dadu. So happy I want to explode. But I also have fleeting, but agonizing moments of frustration as I watch my friends throw him giggling in the air. I just want so badly to hug him like I used to hug the people I love so much, to brush his hair or hold his hand."

Sometimes the simplest things become the most important when they are no longer within grasp.

how hes handled the whole process with his son... including the decision to even have him after diagnosis.... has been an interesting thing to see unfold in real time. as the article mentions, he took a lot of steps early on - videos of him reading childrens books, general video diaries to share with him through his life. taking the time to talk to people that lost a parent at a young age to try to figure out ways to help him with it when it happens and as he grows up - the part about kids biggest questions being what the deceased parent fell in love with about the living parent was an interesting thing that i hadnt given much thought to, but it makes total sense reading it.

even before he retired, he definitely was one of those guys that marched to the beat of his own drum and wasnt just the tough football guy. thats serving him very well right now, and is helping him give a lot of gifts to his family, and the world.

Edited by NoSaint

oh man.... atlanta sports talk radio 790 apparently had a long segment today making fun of steve. a several minute long segment pretending he called in and ragging on him having to use a computer to talk and how he might be dead by thursday. scott fujita has started tweeting about it and its picking up steam.

thats pretty low.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/6/17/4438042/atlanta-radio-station-790-steve-gleason

Edited by NoSaint

oh man.... atlanta sports talk radio 790 apparently had a long segment today making fun of steve. a several minute long segment pretending he called in and ragging on him having to use a computer to talk and how he might be dead by thursday. scott fujita has started tweeting about it and its picking up steam.

thats pretty low.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/6/17/4438042/atlanta-radio-station-790-steve-gleason

A joke is always funny till someone gets offended. Oh well what you gonna do. I didn't hear it so I have no idea but I don't like when jokes become serious b.c some people can't handle it. Not saying that is the case here just with other situations.

Edited by EJ3

A joke is always funny till someone gets offended. Oh well what you gonna do.

its exploding down here - people calling advertisers, the station ownership, tweeting the story to national press, and national ALS foundations.... fellow players have picked up on it.

ill be surprised if these guys end up with jobs at the end of this. if you read that article and an extended joke about his not being able to talk and how he might die any day anyway was what came to mind, you dont belong on the air.

its exploding down here - people calling advertisers, the station ownership, tweeting the story to national press, and national ALS foundations.... fellow players have picked up on it.

ill be surprised if these guys end up with jobs at the end of this. if you read that article and an extended joke about his not being able to talk and how he might die any day anyway was what came to mind, you dont belong on the air.

This. If you read that article and don't come away thinking what a lucky person you are simply to not have been dealt his hand, you're a very dim person. If you read it and decide it's an opportunity to poke fun at someone's misfortune for easy laughs, you're an **** pure and simple.

As an aside, the first person who calls this a "PC police" situation is also an ****. You are free to say just about whatever you want, legally and constitutionally speaking. If you work for a professional organization that thinks you're representing them poorly, they are also free to fire you.

This. If you read that article and don't come away thinking what a lucky person you are simply to not have been dealt his hand, you're a very dim person. If you read it and decide it's an opportunity to poke fun at someone's misfortune for easy laughs, you're an **** pure and simple.

As an aside, the first person who calls this a "PC police" situation is also an ****. You are free to say just about whatever you want, legally and constitutionally speaking. If you work for a professional organization that thinks you're representing them poorly, they are also free to fire you.

The guys who did it are giving (in my opinion poor) attempts to apologize on twitter. despite a lack of audio existing yet (if it does, they will really be done) it seems the summary going around is atleast close if not 100% accurate as they feel they have to apologize for what they did.

Nick Cellini ‏@NickCellini 10m

My apologies to everyone. It was a stupid attempt at humor that backfired. Emphasis on stupid.

Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Nick Cellini ‏@NickCellini 2h

@viewfrom327 @steakshapiro @chrisdimino we took a shot, it backfired. Live and learn...

Edited by NoSaint

This is pretty nuts. The people of NOLA are not too happy (as well they shouldn't be). Steve Gleason is like an icon down here. He is probably in the top 5-10 most popular Saints players of all-time.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Well of course people go crazy over everything. If these guys don't get fired they will be geniuses.

Well of course people go crazy over everything. If these guys don't get fired they will be geniuses.

i just.... well... i... uh.... really?

One of the reported jokes:

Knock knock

who's there?

smother

smother who?

smother me, do me a favor

Edited by NoSaint

i just.... well... i... uh.... really?

Yea, think about it. Media attention is all about getting people to notice or talk about you. If they can survive this they will be widely popular (good/bad). I didn't even know who these guys were till you talked about them.