NoSaint

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

On off the wall people are making fun of a woman who died from butt implants

Just all depends on what offends you at what time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/17/atlanta-radio-station-apologizes-for-making-fun-of-steve-gleason/

PFT has picked up on it now too...

while i generally agree that the lines of taste are personal matters, i think youd have to be a pretty extreme schmuck to land on the side of "good topic to make fun of" on this one.

EJ3, how do you feel about jokes on the topic?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/17/atlanta-radio-station-apologizes-for-making-fun-of-steve-gleason/

PFT has picked up on it now too...

while i generally agree that the lines of taste are personal matters, i think youd have to be a pretty extreme schmuck to land on the side of "good topic to make fun of" on this one.

EJ3, how do you feel about jokes on the topic?

Don't know like I said I didn't hear the radio show so I have no idea.

Don't know like I said I didn't hear the radio show so I have no idea.

i was saying it should generally be an off limits topic regardless. even forgetting it was the same day as a major national story from steve about the struggles of ALS.

the show has acknowledged they made jokes about him, so you can weigh in on whether any joke would be acceptable, even if you dont accept that it was a several minute long staged call with jokes about him killing himself and being mentally challenged.

Edited by NoSaint

The jokes should have never of been said on air. That is the problem with it. Jokes like this are better kept with friends or people that know you are joking. In lines of saying it on air it shouldn't have been b.c of the ramifications that are now happening.

Edited by EJ3

The jokes should have never of been said on air. That is the problem with it. Jokes like this are better kept with friends or people that know you are joking. In lines of saying it on air it shouldn't have been b.c of the ramifications that are now happening.

agree to disagree, and ill leave it at this - the issue isnt that it backfired on air, its that the thoughts shouldnt have happened in the first place, and if they did there should have been common sense not to say them, and if you did, someone at the station should have called him an idiot before he went to air, and if that person didnt..... then they come up with an elaborate set of jokes and it backfires on air. there are so many layers of, forget common sense as a professional, but common decency as a person that were ignored, that the ramifications shouldnt be the deterrent, your care for your fellow man should be. the fact that they saw that article this morning and thought "perfect! lets make fun of him for being mentally challenged and dying" instead of "man, what can we do?" is the issue - not that they were on air displaying their terrible character.

Well, let's see...did Gleason ask for ALS?

[/thread]

The ONLY way this kind of joke works is if Gleason himself is in on it. But you know what, instead of getting paid to hatch elaborate and stupid jokes, he is spending his time making other peoples' lives better despite extremely debilitating circumstances and a likely early expiration date on a great life. Kind of says it all right there.

Well, let's see...did Gleason ask for ALS?

Doesn't matter... Like I said the problem was it was said on air. I have heard worse jokes and have seen people laugh at worse when they were in an environment of knowing that people don't really mean it. This is one of those cases where the joke didn't match the listeners and other media will jump in to get their own ratings.

Doesn't matter... Like I said the problem was it was said on air. I have heard worse jokes and have seen people laugh at worse when they were in an environment of knowing that people don't really mean it. This is one of those cases where the joke didn't match the listeners and other media will jump in to get their own ratings.

It kind of matters as regards your apples and styrofoam comparison of the person with butt-implants with Gleason.

Clearly they didnt mean it. No one thinks they were serious. The issue is the joke is terribly offensive and totally unneeded on any scale. This isn't a misunderstanding of intention its them not understanding appropriate subject matter. If you want to spend the afternoon making jokes about this in private I would likewise think you were a bad human being.

Edited by NoSaint

Reports are all 3 suspended indefinitely.

From Facebook:

We deeply regret the comments made by Mahem In The AM this morning on 790 The Zone regarding former New Orleans Saints player Steve Gleason. 790 The Zone, Lincoln Financial Media, our sponsors and partners in no way endorse or support the unfortunate and offensive commentary concerning Mr. Gleason this morning. The members of the show involved with this incident have been suspended indefinitely pending further management review of their actions.

Edited by NoSaint

Only does b.c you want it to actually.

I think that the group that said it is part of the issue. The Falcons and Saints HATE each. It is 1 thing if Chris Rock says a racist joke and a whole different story if a KKK member says the same joke. Obviously that is an extreme but I am just using it to make a point.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I think that the group that said it is part of the issue. The Falcons and Saints HATE each. It is 1 thing if Chris Rock says a racist joke and a whole different story if a KKK member says the same joke. Obviously that is an extreme but I am just using it to make a point.

It's like a Boston station making Kevin Everett would be better off dead jokes at his darkest times.. The source and venue escalate the situation, but they shouldn't be made in any circumstance

Edited by NoSaint

I know but I don't think they actually hated. They poked with the wrong joke at a bear and the bear ate them. Imus, and Rush come to mind with this.

I know but I don't think they actually hated. They poked with the wrong joke at a bear and the bear ate them. Imus, and Rush come to mind with this.

It's like bills fins from the early 90s. Those franchises and cities have a genuine disdain for one another.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

This is just me - and I will admit to having crossed the line - but the number one rule of the Internet and all media should be that you don't say anything about somebody that you couldn't say to their face.

ill generally agree. Additionally, we are all guilty of inappropriate things shooting out of our mouths (or fingertips) on occasion... but these guys sat down and planned an extended sketch. this wasnt something dumb said without thinking, it had extensive thought put into it.