More than half of US Senators skip intel briefing...

Tom Coburn explained that he has already been fully briefed as a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee and didn’t need to stick around. That didn’t cut much ice with committee chair Dianne Feinstein, who vented considerable frustration at the poor attendance:

“It’s hard to get this story out. Even now we have this big briefing — we’ve got Alexander, we’ve got the FBI, we’ve got the Justice Department, we have the FISA Court there, we have Clapper there — and people are leaving,”
she said.

I don’t often agree with Feinstein, but she’s spot-on here. Isn’t a briefing on whether the executive branch is abusing the First and Fourth Amendments worth canceling a flight and staying over until Friday? Father’s Day is Sunday, after all, not Friday.

Tom Coburn explained that he has already been fully briefed as a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee and didn’t need to stick around. That didn’t cut much ice with committee chair Dianne Feinstein, who vented considerable frustration at the poor attendance:

“It’s hard to get this story out. Even now we have this big briefing — we’ve got Alexander, we’ve got the FBI, we’ve got the Justice Department, we have the FISA Court there, we have Clapper there — and people are leaving,”
she said.

I don’t often agree with Feinstein, but she’s spot-on here. Isn’t a briefing on whether the executive branch is abusing the First and Fourth Amendments worth canceling a flight and staying over until Friday? Father’s Day is Sunday, after all, not Friday.

I agree with your point, but you could argue the WH knew precisely what it was doing by scheduling the briefing when it did, which resulted in everyone looking stupid except the WH. They couldn't schedule it for Wednesday? Tuesday? They couldn't tell everyone is was in their best interest to do what they must to attend the meeting?