Xbox One - WOW!!

ajzepp

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet a third with a confirmation from MS:

http://www.develop-o...s-sources-claim

Microsoft Interactive Entertainment Business president Don Mattrick has said that, having listened to feedback, the company has now backtracked on some of its plans.

He said that usres will be able to play, share, lend and resell their games exactly as they do on Xbox 360.

"There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360," he said.

An internet connection will also no longer be required to play offline Xbox games. There will also be no 24-hour internet connection requirement for Xbox One users.

"After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360."

This whole thing is kinda strange. Certainly somone at MS must have had SOME inkling that the gaming community would react negatively to some of this.

This whole thing is kinda strange. Certainly somone at MS must have had SOME inkling that the gaming community would react negatively to some of this.

I think MS thought that, but also thought Sony would do the same thing. Sony had filed some patents around online checkins, game sharing, etc. very similar to what Microsoft was proposing.

MS announced their DRM first, Sony said "nope" based off the reaction, and Microsoft got left looking horribly.

I think MS thought that, but also thought Sony would do the same thing. Sony had filed some patents around online checkins, game sharing, etc. very similar to what Microsoft was proposing.

MS announced their DRM first, Sony said "nope" based off the reaction, and Microsoft got left looking horribly.

It definitely looks bad...really bad. The more I think about this backpedaling they're doing, the more it bothers me. Not that I'm going to rush out and get either console, as I'm not much of a gamer anyway, I'm just really surprised at how this has been handled. I just would expect a company like Microsoft to be a bit smarter than this.

It definitely looks bad...really bad. The more I think about this backpedaling they're doing, the more it bothers me. Not that I'm going to rush out and get either console, as I'm not much of a gamer anyway, I'm just really surprised at how this has been handled. I just would expect a company like Microsoft to be a bit smarter than this.

One would hope a major company would see the problem and nip it in the bud. Nope. Just look @ Reebok when they came out with this (late 1990's):

http://lubbockonline.com/news/022097/reebok.htm

I mean... Come on, wouldn't researching the name be the very first thing the company would do? LoL...

You almost have to wonder if the entire thing wasnt a huge marketing ploy. Almost like negotiating, MS comes in high and pushes the envelope with DRM and what not to see how far they can go. Then "give in" to the demands with an announcement that "they are a company that listens to its customers, and they've heard our demands, and they are going to do what it takes to make us happy. Now and going forward. Blah blah blah..."

You almost have to wonder if the entire thing wasnt a huge marketing ploy. Almost like negotiating, MS comes in high and pushes the envelope with DRM and what not to see how far they can go. Then "give in" to the demands with an announcement that "they are a company that listens to its customers, and they've heard our demands, and they are going to do what it takes to make us happy. Now and going forward. Blah blah blah..."

They were pushing the envelope on features, but are instead rolling back to doing the same thing the current console does, only with prettier graphics. The ability to share your games with family members sounded awesome (from the little details we had). The ability to play games without putting a disk in was also very cool. Now, although there will be digital distribution available, the cool features that came with it will be gone.

People saw "DRM" and screamed, not realizing that current consoles have DRM as well....

I'm sure the Xbox One will still be a good console, but I think some of the features they were trying to push through would've made it better. They did a crap job of explaining the benefits though -- bad PR team.

They were pushing the envelope on features, but are instead rolling back to doing the same thing the current console does, only with prettier graphics. The ability to share your games with family members sounded awesome (from the little details we had). The ability to play games without putting a disk in was also very cool. Now, although there will be digital distribution available, the cool features that came with it will be gone.

People saw "DRM" and screamed, not realizing that current consoles have DRM as well....

I'm sure the Xbox One will still be a good console, but I think some of the features they were trying to push through would've made it better. They did a crap job of explaining the benefits though.

I wish they had just made some tweaks to the DRM instead of removing everything including the beneficial features.

With everything going on in 2013, it's a bad year to try to implement new DRM policies. Especially when you do a **** job selling the benefits.

The only problem with that approach is that it gives a big boost to their competitor. I guess that doesn't matter all that much though because short of either side doing something catastrophic, they're both always going to have a very sizable share of the console market.

The only problem with that approach is that it gives a big boost to their competitor. I guess that doesn't matter all that much though because short of either side doing something catastrophic, they're both always going to have a very sizable share of the console market.

I doubt this will help Sony at all, actually. In a few months nobody will even remember this (people have short memories...).

XBone's Family Plan revealed

http://pastebin.com/TE1MWES2

Yeah, it was a BS system that let you share a 15-45 minute demo of a game with a friend one time. Then that oh-so-lucky friend could make a decision if they wanted to purchase it for full price. You were never going to be able to give away 10 free copies of your game to your family members, that's a pipe dream. Next-Gen!!

• 4 months later...

Every year its the same. Why would it be different this year? Battlefield 4 has already been proven to be played on a PC with an Xbone controller. Furthermore, both the PS4/Xbone use the same X86 architecture as PCs, so games will be developed on the PC and later ported to the consoles.

They are trying to wow people with great graphics, of course they are going to use the graphically superior platform to do it.

PC >>> any console