Position Battles

Sorry if this has already been discussed lately (did a search, found nothing) but I was thinking about some position battles in camp that may go over looked due to the QB battle we're all going to be watching. One that intrigues me is the OLB/DE spot and where Jerry Hughes fits into that. With Anderson, Moats and Hughes, this could be a great battle this summer. What are some other battles that we should be keeping our eye on?

I'm stoked to see what's going to happen at WR. Lots of fresh talent there with Woods, Goodwin, Rogers, Graham.

Same here. I have a feeling Woods will lock-down the outside opposite Stevie. The 3rd/4th with Goodwin and Graham will be fun. They seem like clones of each other. Throw in Rogers, and this could be really exciting.

Gotta agree about the WR corps. Lots of young talent and potential.

I think the entire secondary will be something to watch. Movement in the off-season, regime change, rookie additions and a contract hold out could make for a good battle at safety and corner. With the exception of Gilmore, I can't see anyone's position being safe.

What's been happening with Stevie moving to slot in 3 receiver sets? I've read about it on here and i wasn't sure if it was speculation or if there was a legitimate chance at him moving inside. If he does move, I think it would be cool if one of the "vets" (like Smith and Easley) is on one side and Graham or Woods is on the other.

And what of safety? Who would start opposite of Byrd?

Edited by Teen Insight

How about the battle for the 2nd corner? That's an important position in Pettine's d. My guess is that Leodis wins the job and actually plays better at CB this year.

I agree. Like AlwaysBilleve said, asided from Gilmore, it may all be up in the air. One player I'm going to watch is Brooks. I know he got torched a few times last year, but he could shake things up a bit. Maybe lock down the Nickel? He's a feisty little dude.

I agree. Like AlwaysBilleve said, asided from Gilmore, it may all be up in the air. One player I'm going to watch is Brooks. I know he got torched a few times last year, but he could shake things up a bit. Maybe lock down the Nickel? He's a feisty little dude.

I like Brooks a lot. He is fast and physical for a smaller guy. He has a chance to be a solid player.

What's been happening with Stevie moving to slot in 3 receiver sets? I've read about it on here and i wasn't sure if it was speculation or if there was a legitimate chance at him moving inside. If he does move, I think it would be cool if one of the "vets" (like Smith and Easley) are on one side and Graham or Woods are on the other.

The new staff has come out publicly and said they want Stevie in the slot. His physical skill set is almost hand crafted for this position. He doesn't have the speed or size of a true outside receiver. Purely speculation, but I believe they like him in the slot for his shifty moves but also his ability to get off the ball. Nickel corners and defenders won't play him on the line and this will lighten the load in the box. As much as it makes sense for him as a receiver, it also plays in nicely with the run game, IMO.

The new staff has come out publicly and said they want Stevie in the slot. His physical skill set is almost hand crafted for this position. He doesn't have the speed or size of a true outside receiver. Purely speculation, but I believe they like him in the slot for his shifty moves but also his ability to get off the ball. Nickel corners and defenders won't play him on the line and this will lighten the load in the box. As much as it makes sense for him as a receiver, it also plays in nicely with the run game, IMO.

So, who then lines-up outside on 3 Wr sets? With 4 receivers in the game, do they use Stevie and Woods inside and Graham and Goodwin outside? That could be lethal with C.J. in the backfield.

So, who then lines-up outside on 3 Wr sets? With 4 receivers in the game, do they use Stevie and Woods inside and Graham and Goodwin outside? That could be lethal with C.J. in the backfield.

If Stevie is in the slot for 3 WR sets, Woods and Graham will be on the outside.

Edited by biglukes

It will be interesting to see this battle unfold. Woods is an almost lock for the 'Z' receiver. He's been consistently talked about as the most NFL ready rookie wide receiver this season. The 'X' receiver position is up in the air. In order to understand the competition, we have to understand the position. This player is going to be on a lot of backside throws (Posts, digs, verticals, etc.) They also need to be a solid blocker.

OTA highlights showed Graham playing well.

Goodwin was highlighted for being an outstanding blocker.

Da'Rick Rogers is someone you haven't mentioned, and also my favorite to win this battle.

http://queencitysports.net/the-x-factor-which-buffalo-bill-will-play-x-receiver-in-2013/

This link breaks down each receiver and their measurable, skills, production in terms of necessity for an 'X'

What's been happening with Stevie moving to slot in 3 receiver sets? I've read about it on here and i wasn't sure if it was speculation or if there was a legitimate chance at him moving inside. If he does move, I think it would be cool if one of the "vets" (like Smith and Easley) is on one side and Graham or Woods is on the other.

And what of safety? Who would start opposite of Byrd?

dont you mean who would start instead of Byrd?

this x1,000,000,000...

Woods is about the same size and has similar skillet to Stevie. Very quick but not as fast as the other guys we have at WR. He's an athlete that's for sure, but more so than that is his quick shifting ability that really intrigued me about Woods and Stevie on the inside with Graham/Goodwin and Rogers on the outside.

I doubt that Smith makes the roster but if they concentrate in him becoming a WR, they might get some play out of him. He's bigger and seems to fit that, go up and get the ball WR.

And another doubt is Easley. I'm almost certain he doesn't make the roster, but if he does, and the new staff really likes him, he has the skillet and ability to really be an Andre Johnson/TO type of possession WR.

I don't have a clue about any of the other young kids we brought in, but I'm really interested to watch this WR group.

It also makes sense in terms of scheme. The bread and butter play of the run n shoot was two deep threats get outside release on either side, pulling away the safeties, allowing your best receiver free reign in the middle.

New Orleans uses this concept with both Jimmy Graham and Marques Colston. They always make sure in the offseason they can surround these guys with deep threats, whether it's Devery Henderson, Robert Meachem, Lance Moore. Colston was a standout rookie and even better his second year, with Doug Marrone as OC.

Nate Hackett has supposedly been schooled on the K-Gun, which was a modified run n shoot and used the same look with Andre in the slot. It's a good bet this concept will be in the iPad under these coaches.