Bradley Manning trial

A real disgrace this guy was treated like a dangerous serial killer in solitary confinement for 3 years, and could spend the rest of his life in jail for being nothing more than a whistle blower. The most damning charge that he was aiding the terror enemy Al Qaeda is absurd and dangerous.

How did he directly aid and abet Al Qaeda? If what he did constitutes that then virtually any whistle blowing does too. Dont you see the danger in this?

You know, every time I read your posts, I can't help but wonder...if you could replace the US with any other country, which country would you choose to replace it?

Unless intentionality is a specific element of the offense charged – having good intentions isn’t really a defense.

in January 2010 Private Manning “started selecting information he believed the public should see, should hear – information he believed if the public knew, could make the world a better place.”

I don’t believe that the people who issue security clearances allow people to decide what the public is allowed to see and not to see – information is “Classified” for that very reason (and the penalties for releasing that information are VERY clearly laid out in painstaking detail).

But then, I’m sure that young Master Manning was just taking his cues from this administration, who has made it abundantly clear that the rules don’t apply to them.

How did he directly aid and abet Al Qaeda? If what he did constitutes that then virtually any whistle blowing does too. Dont you see the danger in this?

You know Joe, I don't normally respond directly to your postings. It makes me feel sorta dirty, but in this case I already have the shower running. Per the boldened part, is it ok if he didn't "directly" aid and abet Al Qaeda?

You know Joe, I don't normally respond directly to your postings. It makes me feel sorta dirty, but in this case I already have the shower running. Per the boldened part, is it ok if he didn't "directly" aid and abet Al Qaeda?

my point is that if what he did can be so generally applied to aiding and abetting Al Qaeda, then virtually nothing is off limits. It means the government reach - which you normally rail against, and president obama - who you detest - have blanket authority to muzzle pretty much anyone they want.

my point is that if what he did can be so generally applied to aiding and abetting Al Qaeda, then virtually nothing is off limits. It means the government reach - which you normally rail against, and president obama - who you detest - have blanket authority to muzzle pretty much anyone they want.

He gave operational data to the public, and that public included Osama. He was in the military with a clearance that didn't allow him to say schit. My feelings for Obama have no place in this discussion. What's right is right.

He gave operational data to the public, and that public included Osama. He was in the military with a clearance that didn't allow him to say schit. My feelings for Obama have no place in this discussion. What's right is right.

the military was not dealing with its own atrocities. In terms of trade-offs, I will accept the highly tangential and minimal risk that it "aid and abets" Al Qaeda for the direct and known benefit of exposing and correcting our own atrocities.

the military was not dealing with its own atrocities. In terms of trade-offs, I will accept the highly tangential and minimal risk that it "aid and abets" Al Qaeda for the direct and known benefit of exposing and correcting our own atrocities.

He would appear to be guilty of treason. So would you if you were in the service and actually knew something that you could pass on.

He would appear to be guilty of treason. So would you if you were in the service and actually knew something that you could pass on.

So if you're in position to see atrocities being committed by US, unreported in the media, superiors doing nothing to address, history of retribution against whistle blowers ... What would you do?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

So if you're in position to see atrocities being committed by US, unreported in the media, superiors doing nothing to address, history of retribution against whistle blowers ... What would you do?

I wouldn't commit treason.

I wouldn't commit treason.

Even if the language were interpreted in such a way as to make any whistle blowing treasonous? You'd adhere to that vaguery and turn a blind eye to atrocity?

And BTW he hasn't been convicted, only accused. Stay tuned for this one ...

Even if the language were interpreted in such a way as to make any whistle blowing treasonous? You'd adhere to that vaguery and turn a blind eye to atrocity?

And BTW he hasn't been convicted, only accused. Stay tuned for this one ...

Yes, I'd even waterboard your ass every day of the week. Just for schits and giggles. Play your game with someone else.

it must be awesome being you, knowing what is and isn't best for the rest of us.

Frankly I find ironic that the most transparently corrupt regime in the history of The United States is prosecutng this limp wristed son of Sodom for disclosing classified information when just weeks later they opened The White House to their favorite media writers and The History Channel so they could disclose the awesomeness of BO in the taking down of OBL

No Joe, Manning ain't no hero. He's a worm. But then, so is BO and most of the sludge that he surrounds himself with too.

Frankly I find ironic that the most transparently corrupt regime in the history of The United States is prosecutng this limp wristed son of Sodom for disclosing classified information when just weeks later they opened The White House to their favorite media writers and The History Channel so they could disclose the awesomeness of BO in the taking down of OBL

No Joe, Manning ain't no hero. He's a worm. But then, so is BO and most of the sludge that he surrounds himself with too.

And the chopper crew, what are they to you? Heroes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L79wWAFUqg

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

It pains me to agree with JtSP...but he's right, Manning shouldn't be charged with aiding and abetting the enemy, or treason. He had no involvement with al Qaeda, he leaked the documents to Wikileaks. Unless he had foreknowledge that the document would benefit al Qaeda, and intent to provide them that benefit, it's a bull **** charge.

And the chopper crew, what are they to you? Heroes?

But you're still a !@#$ing idiot. What, you think war is sanitary?

I'm no expert on the subject, but I'm under the impression that the military has its own code of law that's considerably different than civil law. it might be one thing to try to bring questionable activity to light once one is out of the military, but while still serving it's another matter altogether. in addition, Manning is said to have released thousands of documents to wikileaks, including troop placements and intel. if you're passsing along sensitive information like that to someone who will make it public, you may as well be handing it directly to the enemy. he's in for a world of trouble.