Michele Bachmann Gone!

It appears the more bombastic fringe elements of the GOP have lost clout over the past few years. Palin, West and Bachmann are all out. This is a good thing for the Conservative movement, the less you see these folks out as the face of the GOP, the better chances you have to win national races and implement your agenda. :beer:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the media's obsession with bashing Bachmann.

She helped push the bridge between Minnesota and Wisconsin through, something that was desperately needed and kept hitting road block after road block, so she's ok in my book. :thumbsup:

You don't understand why? Really? :lol:

I think it's part of the ongoing criticism that journalists love to lampoon the far side of the right, but totally ignore the far side of the left.

I think it's part of the ongoing criticism that journalists love to lampoon the far side of the right, but totally ignore the far side of the left.

No doubt, but make no mistake, she's a grade A bafoon.

No doubt, but make no mistake, she's a grade A bafoon.

While I have no desire or need to defend Michelle Bachmann, I can at least say that while she is a lot of things, a buffoon isn't one of them. And that you would even consider Alan West "a bombastic fringe element" pretty much indicates the copy/paste nature of your distaste for Bachmann.

Let me guess...Ted Cruz is next on your list of bombastic fringe element conservatives?

While I have no desire or need to defend Michelle Bachmann, I can at least say that while she is a lot of things, a buffoon isn't one of them. And that you would even consider Alan West "a bombastic fringe element" pretty much indicates the copy/paste nature of your distaste for Bachmann.

Let me guess...Ted Cruz is next on your list of bombastic fringe element conservatives?

Seriously, you take offense to any criticism lobbed at any tea party member. If someone does, then clearly they must be copying it from the media. Hate to break it to you, but the only copy/paste element here is your standard right-wing defense of tea party members. Why couldn't Alan West win in a district that tilted to the right? Why did Bachmann win by less than .5% in a district she should easily win by 8-10%.... These individuals are divisive and their comments many times are simply outrageous and easily mocked, and they hurt the conservative brand to anyone who votes that isn't a hard core right winger. They aren't palatable candidates.... For once, step outside of your bubble and attempt to rationalize things from a different perspective. Don't get so defensive. In regards to Alan West and Bachmann's not making bombastic comments... Seriously? You don't believe that? Do you really want me to bring up some of their quotes? In regards to Cruz......he's an intelligent guy, communicates extremely well, but takes some positions that I'm completely against, and I'm not too fond of him... If there is anyone in the GOP who will do worse with Latinos than what we saw with Romney, it probably would be Cruz.... But hey who cares? What Latino's think are unimportant to you. Edited by Magox

Seriously, you take offense to any criticism lobbed at any tea party member. If someone does, then clearly they must be copying it from the media. Hate to break it to you, but the only copy/paste element here is your standard right-wing defense of tea party members. Why couldn't Alan West win in a district that tilted to the right? Why did Bachmann win by less than .5% in a district she should easily win by 8-10%.... These individuals are divisive and their comments many times are simply outrageous and easily mocked, and they hurt the conservative brand to anyone who votes that isn't a hard core right winger. They aren't palatable candidates.... For once, step outside of your bubble and attempt to rationalize things from a different perspective. Don't get so defensive. In regards to Alan West and Bachmann's not making bombastic comments... Seriously? You don't believe that? Do you really want me to bring up some of their quotes? In regards to Cruz......he's an intelligent guy, communicates extremely well, but takes some positions that I'm completely against, and I'm not too fond of him... If there is anyone in the GOP who will do worse with Latinos than what we saw with Romney, it probably would be Cruz.... But hey who cares? What Latino's think are unimportant to you.

Every party from every angle has more than their share of stupidity on a daily basis.That anyone would take the time to single out ONLY tea party people as bombastic, fringe, etc., speaks to the makeup of those making the comments every bit, if not moreso, as it does those who defend them.

huh, so since the media and I both use a commonly used term, one that I've been saying for years, that MUST mean that I copied it from them. Got it! And are you suggesting that I ONLY single out tea partiers as "fringe" ? Are you serious? Your unwavering defense of anyone associated with the tea party blinds you. Anyway, here is a good look from Sean Trende, who I would consider one of the best conservative polling analysts in the business, regarding Bachmann. Pretty much what I thought, and I just read this now before I made any of my comments.

Political observers were surprised Wednesday when Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann announced her decision to retire from Congress. Most observers considered the four-term Republican, who won the 2011 Iowa Straw Poll, a likely candidate for statewide or federal office at some point in the future.

But this is one of those times where the party as a whole wins once a candidate bows out. Bachmann’s district covers the suburbs and exurbs north and east of St. Paul and Minneapolis, as well as some rural areas and the old German-Catholic town of St. Cloud. This is overall very conservative territory: Mitt Romney’s margin of victory here was roughly the same as it was in the state of Texas.

So it is a testament to Bachmann’s political weaknesses that against an inexperienced candidate in November, she barely hung on by two points, running almost 10 points behind Romney. Bachmann’s sometimes incendiary rhetoric -- she has referred to homosexuality as a “sexual identity disorder” and claimed that HPV vaccines were unsafe and potentially caused mental retardation -- were just too much for even this district. Electoral weakness has been an ongoing problem for the congresswoman, who won by just eight points in 2006, three in 2008, and 13 in 2010 (with two independent candidates taking 8 percent of the vote). In fact, under the lines from the post-2000 redistricting, which were slightly more Democratic than the current ones, Bachmann likely would have lost this past November.

Of course, Republicans could nominate another problematic candidate in 2014, although it would be difficult to find someone who is more of a lightning rod than Bachmann. Pending the result of the Republican primary, this race is borderline safe for the GOP.

Read more: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/05/29/bachmann_departure_may_aid_gop_in_mn6_118604.html#ixzz2UnLAOmfu

You don't understand why? Really? :lol:

Yeah, I don't. Have you paid attention to what she's done, ASIDE from what the media tells you about? Do you even know what bridge I'm talking about? Doubtful.

Yeah, I don't. Have you paid attention to what she's done, ASIDE from what the media tells you about? Do you even know what bridge I'm talking about? Doubtful.

Yes I do know of the bridge...Yes, I have paid attention to what she has done, I keep up with all spectrum of politics more so than anyone I know. And the fact that you don't understand why she is rightfully ridiculed, is...... Not surprising.

Yes I do know of the bridge...Yes, I have paid attention to what she has done, I keep up with all spectrum of politics more so than anyone I know. And the fact that you don't understand why she is rightfully ridiculed, is...... Not surprising.

If you kept up with everything, you wouldn't have the opinion you do, so... whatever.

huh, so since the media and I both use a commonly used term, one that I've been saying for years, that MUST mean that I copied it from them. Got it! And are you suggesting that I ONLY single out tea partiers as "fringe" ? Are you serious? Your unwavering defense of anyone associated with the tea party blinds you. Anyway, here is a good look from Sean Trende, who I would consider one of the best conservative polling analysts in the business, regarding Bachmann. Pretty much what I thought, and I just read this now before I made any of my comments.

Read more: http://www.realclear...l#ixzz2UnLAOmfu

If you genuinely were as wise to the inside hand of tea party politicians, you'd know many conservatives like myself were already concerned with Bachmann for any number of reasons, not the least of which are (1) she spends 6x her competition and barely eeks out a win, (2) her incessant need to be "personally targeted by (fill in the blank)" gets old fast with her 10x a day begging for money and (3) most people genuinely don't give a flyingphuckstick about social issues as a political discussion. Many people like myself were not interested in her running for president because she had no chance to win and pulled money and attention from more viable candidates.

My defense of her was to you calling her a buffoon, which I now realize was to get an idiot like me to defend her so you could remind everyone why you're the most insightful political junky of them all. The fault is mine for falling for the low-hanging "Bachmann is a buffoon" commentary from someone I genuinely didn't expect to provide such commentary.

My bad.

Edited by LABillzFan

If you genuinely were as wise to the inside hand of tea party politicians, you'd know many conservatives like myself were already concerned with Bachmann for any number of reasons, not the least of which are (1) she spends 6x her competition and barely eeks out a win, (2) her incessant need to be "personally targeted by (fill in the blank)" gets old fast with her 10x a day begging for money and (3) most people genuinely don't give a flyingphuckstick about social issues as a political discussion. Many people like myself were not interested in her running for president because she had no chance to win and pulled money and attention from more viable candidates.

My defense of her was to you calling her a buffoon, which I now realize was to get an idiot like me to defend her so you could remind everyone why you're the most insightful political junky of them all. The fault is mine for falling for the low-hanging "Bachmann is a buffoon" commentary from someone I genuinely didn't expect to provide such commentary.

My bad.

That's ok, we all sometimes make silly mistakes.

The fact that the GOP is ousting it's fringe members while the leftist nutjobs like Pelosi, and Reid actually LEAD the democrats, is frightening.

Well, Pelosi is in a district where she'll never lose and Reid, well.... he went up against Sharon Angle. So there's that.

If you kept up with everything, you wouldn't have the opinion you do, so... whatever.

I do keep up with a lot, and I do have that opinion...So..... yeah

The conservative movement can do without social conservatives who seek to legislate their morality.

Get rid of them, and become a hard line economic policy machine.

Good riddance to Bachmann.

I agree with this, but I don't think it's that simple.

Some people don't like it when you legislate AGAINST their morality. Some find it difficult to remain silent when the opposition is legislating that taxpayer funding can pay for doctors to toss a live baby into a toilet to drown because the abortion didn't do it right the first time. Should these people shut up for fear of not having people hear about their economic policies?

How about in California, where we are a month away from legislating that a 16-year-old high school boy who identifies with girls can now schitt/shower/shave in the girls' locker room? If this offends you because you have a 14-year-old daughter in that locker room, do you remain silent because you want people to take your budget seriously?

The right has faults with trying to legislate morality, but liberals are equal to the task. And you have to be prepared to fight.

Simple.............. The media and the Left (but, I repeat myself) needed her as a scary bogeyman.

Its an important part of their false narrative.

You keep implying there's some equal symmetry between right loonies and left. At this time that's certainly not the case. Guns, bibles, foreign wars, environmental conspiracy theory, etc etc ..... is way the hell out there and very prevalent within today's GOP. That old canard about media bias simply won't cut it this time.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack