Parent sues high school for $40 million because…

...his son was kicked off the track team for missing practices:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/20130527_Father_sues_after_teen_is_dropped_from_track_team.html

Not allowing his son to participate constitutes bullying, harassment, and an "abusive school environment" in which the sophomore's rights to due process and freedom of speech were impeded, the suit says.

"I felt in a way, disrespected," Mawusimensah, 16, said Friday. "At practice, I work hard and I try to be the best athlete I can be, but at meet time, I didn't get the respect that I thought I deserved."

...his son was kicked off the track team for missing practices:

http://www.philly.co...track_team.html

Not allowing his son to participate constitutes bullying, harassment, and an "abusive school environment" in which the sophomore's rights to due process and freedom of speech were impeded, the suit says.

"I felt in a way, disrespected," Mawusimensah, 16, said Friday. "At practice, I work hard and I try to be the best athlete I can be, but at meet time, I didn't get the respect that I thought I deserved."

Wow, there's some parents that are going to make their kid's life suck.

Wow, there's some parents that are going to make their kid's life suck.

Seems a little excessive but would you feel differently if he missed practices for a legitimate reason? What if he was a top talent and getting kicked off the team was going to prohibit him from any scholarships?

Seems a little excessive but would you feel differently if he missed practices for a legitimate reason? What if he was a top talent and getting kicked off the team was going to prohibit him from any scholarships?

Wow, I'm surprised you didn't correct my grammar.

But getting to the point:

I think the father is correct in saying that the reasons for his dismissal are an excuse. But looking at the situation as a whole we need to understand that the coach is (or at least should be) making decisions that are best for the team as a whole and not for one perspective runner. The kids a Sophomore and the coach might have felt that his particular strengths fit nicely into an area where the team was weak and plugged him in there rather than place him as another competitor in a race where the team is already strong.

Sounds like the kid was making enough of a stink about it to distract the team from competition. So once again, the coach makes a decision to take him off the team.

Wow, I'm surprised you didn't correct my grammar.

But getting to the point:

I think the father is correct in saying that the reasons for his dismissal are an excuse. But looking at the situation as a whole we need to understand that the coach is (or at least should be) making decisions that are best for the team as a whole and not for one perspective runner. The kids a Sophomore and the coach might have felt that his particular strengths fit nicely into an area where the team was weak and plugged him in there rather than place him as another competitor in a race where the team is already strong.

Sounds like the kid was making enough of a stink about it to distract the team from competition. So once again, the coach makes a decision to take him off the team.

Well, you should have said "there are" some parents rather than "there is". At least I got you to read the article this time before commenting on it.

Oh, what is a "perspective" runner?

Edited by 3rdnlng

Well, you should have said "there are" some parents rather than "there is". At least I got you to read the article this time before commenting on it.

Oh, what is a "perspective" runner?

Well, we could start arguing semantics, but I would say it's a person who may, or may not run.

Tom, you can have your cat toy back now. I'm bored.

Are you the one that's always accusing me of not having a sense of humor?

I'm not basing my arguments on my great spelling and grammar. That's a joke by the way. I've never claimed to have even decent spelling and grammar.

But things started to sour in his son's freshman year, Mears said, when he and his son's track coach disagreed over which races his son should run.

Hmmmm. I think I've found a clue............Sherlock.

The Father is an azz, who wants to run the team.

I applaud this father for doing everything he can (no matter how ridiculous) in prolonging his son's inevitable slide into a life on welfare and career in the fast-food industry.

While admirable, this suit will do more damage to his son's collegiate prospects than getting kicked off the team.