Bridge collapse in Washington State

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Report-I-5-bridge-collapses-over-Skagit-River-cars-in-water-208758631.html

It also was not known what caused the collapse of the bridge about 60 miles north of Seattle in Skagit County, which stretches from the North Cascades National Park to a cluster of islands off the Washington coast.

Xavier Grospe, 62, who lives near the river, said he could see three cars with what appeared to be one person per vehicle. The vehicles were sitting still in the water, partially submerged and partly above the waterline, and the apparent drivers were sitting either on top of the vehicles or on the edge of open windows.

Multiple witnesses reported seeing a large semi-truck with an oversized load cross the bridge and hit it before the bridge collapsed.

"I saw it. I was less than 50 feet away from the truck when it hit it," said Dale Ogden, witness. "I had just passed it in the fast lane southbound and it was an oversized load." The bridge is not considered structurally deficient but is listed as being "functionally obsolete" - a category meaning that their design is outdated, such as having narrow shoulders are low clearance underneath, according to a database compiled by the Federal Highway Administration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCt8V5VhlcU

Good. I hate Bridges!!!!!!!!!

Lets spend more money overseas on conflict and avoid infrastructures problems here.

No! Spend money on overseas conflicts. Screw building bridges. They are dumb, worthless, and really mess things up.

Guess it's time to replace that one, huh?

Yeah, fix that one. We do not need to put in new bridges when good ones are already 100 ft away!

Whatever happened to all the infrastructure investment we kept hearing about a few years ago?

1830 Turner Road, Lexington. That's where it is.

Christ pay attention. Bush spent that money on war. Long ago. We will never recover.

That's why I like Bush. He spent on the important stuff.

Good. I hate Bridges!!!!!!!!!

I'm not a big fan if bridges either however I've gotten a lot better seeing I drive over this one twice a day now.

9641794.jpg

Damn thing's so long (7 miles) I couldn't find a picture that shows the whole thing.

I'm not a big fan if bridges either however I've gotten a lot better seeing I drive over this one twice a day now.

9641794.jpg

What bridge?

Damn thing's so long (7 miles) I couldn't find a picture that shows the whole thing.

I had the same problem sending a picture to my girlfriend the other night.

Well, as long as it was moved here:

Washington Bridge Collapse Caused By Truck Hitting Span. John Steakley emails:

So when Obama said “Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive.
Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business—you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen
.”

Was this one of the bridges he meant? If so, I think American taxpayers deserve a refund.

Well, the stimulus money was supposed to go to bridges, until Obama wilted under feminist pressure.

So when Obama said “Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive.
Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business—you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen
.”

Was this one of the bridges he meant? If so, I think American taxpayers deserve a refund.

Well, the stimulus money was supposed to go to bridges, until Obama wilted under feminist pressure.

If you’ve got an historic expansion of the welfare state—you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”

Bravo Obama.

.”

Your link about Obama wilting deserves a thread of its own.

I blame the sequester.

From what I have been told an oversized flatbed hauling large drilling equipment hit a support beam ok the bridge which resulted in the bridge failing.

Wait, change that. I blame big oil.