I Like Doug, but did he pay attention during English class?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I converted what he said using "jive.com" - here it is. Makes a lot of sense!

“Everyone in OTAs now be doin' it,” said 'haid coach Doug Marrone. What it is, Mama! “We gots'ta git our players eyebally. Slap mah fro! You's dink about how trainin' fum an offensive standpoint, we’re gittin' de technique co'rect and den ya'’re goin' fo'ward and wo'kin' on dose technique and fundamentals. Den fo' de quarterback he’s goin' t'drow some route versus air. Ah be baaad... Den de next point be decision makin'. So de fasta' we kin git t'situashuns where be it zone, o' be it pressho' nuff? Now dey gots'ta make decisions on de field and da damn betta' dey’ll become and da damn betta' de evaluashun fo' us.”

Well said, is 43 still the mike?

FWIW, I think that's an example of the printed word not accurately conveying the true cadence and speech pattern. It sounded fine when he was speaking.

This. It seems Marrone has a tendency to shift trains mid-sentence, sometimes going in another direction. It sounds fine and normal when you hear him speaking, but when it is transcribed, it loses the coherence. I noticed this while reading the transcripts from his pre and post draft interviews as well.

This. It seems Marrone has a tendency to shift trains mid-sentence, sometimes going in another direction. It sounds fine and normal when you hear him speaking, but when it is transcribed, it loses the coherence. I noticed this while reading the transcripts from his pre and post draft interviews as well.

I agree. It's more the case of poor transcription than a poor mind or even poor grammar.

Makes sense to me but long time ago I coached football at the HS level and went thru many coaching clinics. This is pure coach speak. Most professions have their own, insider language. We had it in the Army. Reminds me of a line from "Stripes"...."lighten up, Francis" :) I would rather listen to Marrone than the late, not so great, Hank Bullough. He made your head hurt just listening to him.

Since you're being critical of others...are you sure it's "say" or did you mean to say, "it read(s)".

Anyway who cares how the coach responds to the mundane questions he's answering at nausea during the off-season? As long as the 53 guys he fields on game day understand and we win...mission accomplished. I really started to feel bad for the questions being asked by the local media to coaches, draft picks and free agents/ journeyman being acquired by the team...I tell ya every time I hear, " How do you like being picked up by the team?", "What do you think about the city?", "Are you excited about being a Bill?". It's like they're waiting for the guy to say something bad or something to justify the region as being second rate. Our image crisis is self inflicted, IMO.

I wasn't being critical of "others" and certainly not of Marrone. I was simply conveying a story about a co-worker who has no business being employed for reasons which go way beyond her grammar. Of course, you wouldn't know that nor would you know anything about me or my history on this board given your whopping 116 posts. But, hey, you're a "pimp" so you must be the cool voice of reason around here. <_<

But you'll always find one person out of a thousand who loves yak balls.

You realize that it's not proper grammar to start a sentence with a conjunction right? ;)

Edited by MarkinSanDiego

I said it's not proper. I didn't say it was wrong. If you don't like jokes maybe you should stay off message boards? :)

It is 100% proper and you saying otherwise, even in jest, will lead the feeble minded to their doom.

Starting a sentence with a conjunction is OK and is a way to help your writing flow. Anyone who says that you shouldn't do this is a moran.

The rule against splitting infinitives is a grammar rule. In Latin. But not English.

Bad teachers have been passing these bits of poppycock on for years.

Edited by John Adams

It's not funny to spread nonsense like that and the split-infinitive "rule." Please don't even joke about this.

Friends don't let friends joke about the split-infinitive rule...

Pretty good rapper. I saw him at Broadway Joes in the late 90s/ early 00s

http://www.youtube.c...ube.AsJ3zeQpkKA

Have always been a fan of Yak Ballz.

Check out his grammar rhyme:

Don't be all double-spacing on TBD. Cause it's a message board violation of the third degree.

And don't be spreadin wack-ass lies about split infinitives either.

Sorry that's all I got.

It is 100% proper and you saying otherwise, even in jest, will lead the feeble minded to their doom.

Starting a sentence with a conjunction is OK and is a way to help your writing flow. Anyone who says that you shouldn't do this is a moran.

The rule against splitting infinitives is a grammar rule. In Latin. But not English.

Bad teachers have been passing these bits of poppycock on for years.

John Adams,

I agree with you in as much as I don't think we should be correcting each other's grammar--that would simply ruin this message board. With that said, I do think we should try to avoid atrocious grammar (some posts are really difficult to read for that reason, and reflect badly on the author). Those are fortunately rare, and I only mention them as exceptions,

I do not agree with you that starting sentences with conjunctions is ok, or that split infinitives are perfectly proper in English. This may be so in colloquial English, but not in proper English. I teach writing as a part of my profession, and I am on record to say that you are simply wrong on this matter. If we want to avoid criticism of each other's grammar, it is better to simply say that we should not be sticklers for such things on this message board, and we should all overlook the errors to which we are all prone from time to time. Let us not try to avoid such criticism by arguing that bad grammar is actually good grammar.

Just my opinion!