R.I.P. Chuck Muncie

For those that might not click the link:

…. but his career ended in 1984, when Commissioner Pete Rozelle suspended Muncie for the remainder of the season when he tested positive for cocaine after the first regular-season game.

Muncie tried a comeback with the Minnesota Vikings in 1985, but eventually walked away from the game, saying he had personal issues he needed to address.

In 1989, he was sentenced to 18 months in prison for selling cocaine, but he turned his life around after his release, working with children and adult addicts, while also counseling gang members to get out of the life.

The Chuck Muncie Youth Foundation, a nonprofit established in 1997, counseled youngsters and offered alternatives to gangs. It also paid for a tattoo-removal program for gang members. Muncie also mentored athletes at the University of California, his alma mater.
Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I loved those early 80 Chargers teams. I was only 8,9, 10 years old but I remember how fun they were to watch. Fouts, Chandler, Winslow, Brooks, Jefferson & of course Muncie. That team could ring up the scoreboard in a hurry.

1980- my first year of caring about Bills football...beating SD week five in the battle of undefeated teams...kinda cool...RIP Chuck....

That was the very first thing I thought of when I saw RIP Chuck Muncie. 5-0!

I loved those early 80 Chargers teams. I was only 8,9, 10 years old but I remember how fun they were to watch. Fouts, Chandler, Winslow, Brooks, Jefferson & of course Muncie. That team could ring up the scoreboard in a hurry.

And the Bills would have beaten them in the playoffs after the 1980 season had Fergy not been hobbling around on a bum ankle. A gut wrenching 20-14 loss at San Diego. Had Fergy not been hurt, I really believe that the Bills would've won the Super Bowl that season. Their D was awesome.

R.I.P., Chuck.

And the Bills would have beaten them in the playoffs after the 1980 season had Fergy not been hobbling around on a bum ankle. A gut wrenching 20-14 loss at San Diego. Had Fergy not been hurt, I really believe that the Bills would've won the Super Bowl that season. Their D was awesome.

R.I.P., Chuck.

what he said

Same here...some of my earliest Monday Night Football memories were when those Chargers teams played. I had a bed time of 9pm in the early 80s when I was around the same age as you....and I remember making a deal with my dad that as long as my grades stayed up and I promised to always get up on time Tuesday morning, I could stay up to watch the game. That was such a great feeling and I remember it like it was yesterday. Even though I wouldn't become a die hard fan of the NFL until I would move to Rochester a few years later, Monday Night Football was just great fun for me.

Sixty is just too damn young to die, though...sorry to see him go at such an age. RIP, Chuck

1980- my first year of caring about Bills football...beating SD week five in the battle of undefeated teams...kinda cool...RIP Chuck....

I was just looking at his stats, and this I had forgotten - that was his first game as a Charger. He had asked the Saints for a trade (that was the year of the Aints and the paper bags on the heads) - he played week 4 as a Saint and week 5 as a Charger.

The most informative sports book I ever read was "Necessary Roughness" by Mike Trope, a former agent for dozens of NFL stars. In it, Trope describes what it was like to deal with some VERY strange clients. A chapter was devoted to Muncie.

In terms of talent, Muncie was an all time great. The man weighed at least 235 and had corner speed. When he was able to turn the corner, square his shoulders and head upfield, he was nearly impossible to stop. His style resembled that of the great (imo) Franco Harris, but Muncie was bigger, faster and stronger.

RIP Chuck.

Same here...some of my earliest Monday Night Football memories were when those Chargers teams played. I had a bed time of 9pm in the early 80s when I was around the same age as you....and I remember making a deal with my dad that as long as my grades stayed up and I promised to always get up on time Tuesday morning, I could stay up to watch the game. That was such a great feeling and I remember it like it was yesterday. Even though I wouldn't become a die hard fan of the NFL until I would move to Rochester a few years later, Monday Night Football was just great fun for me.

Sixty is just too damn young to die, though...sorry to see him go at such an age. RIP, Chuck

I hear ya about Monday Night Football. Back then I think it was a bigger deal because the networks were not carrying 80 games a week between college/NFL like they do now. My mom always worked Monday nights & my dad too would let me stay up as long as I jumped into bed when I heard my mom's car pull up in the driveway & I did not give my mom a tough time about waking up in the morning. My sisters would be playing in their rooms(they did not like football) & when the MNF song came on, something about it that was special every week. My dad would sit in his recliner, pop a few Genny Creme Ales, make my sisters & me pocorn & let us drink as much rootbeer as we wanted. We would watch the games together every week. Just me & my dad. Those were special times & I too remember it like it was yesterday. I also remember that Chargers team as it seemed like they were on MNF quite a bit back then. Good times. I used to like Muncie. Good RB.

I hear ya about Monday Night Football. Back then I think it was a bigger deal because the networks were not carrying 80 games a week between college/NFL like they do now. My mom always worked Monday nights & my dad too would let me stay up as long as I jumped into bed when I heard my mom's car pull up in the driveway & I did not give my mom a tough time about waking up in the morning. My sisters would be playing in their rooms(they did not like football) & when the MNF song came on, something about it that was special every week. My dad would sit in his recliner, pop a few Genny Creme Ales, make my sisters & me pocorn & let us drink as much rootbeer as we wanted. We would watch the games together every week. Just me & my dad. Those were special times & I too remember it like it was yesterday. I also remember that Chargers team as it seemed like they were on MNF quite a bit back then. Good times. I used to like Muncie. Good RB.

Cool Story. :thumbsup: