R.I.P. Chuck Muncie

I hear ya about Monday Night Football. Back then I think it was a bigger deal because the networks were not carrying 80 games a week between college/NFL like they do now. My mom always worked Monday nights & my dad too would let me stay up as long as I jumped into bed when I heard my mom's car pull up in the driveway & I did not give my mom a tough time about waking up in the morning. My sisters would be playing in their rooms(they did not like football) & when the MNF song came on, something about it that was special every week. My dad would sit in his recliner, pop a few Genny Creme Ales, make my sisters & me pocorn & let us drink as much rootbeer as we wanted. We would watch the games together every week. Just me & my dad. Those were special times & I too remember it like it was yesterday. I also remember that Chargers team as it seemed like they were on MNF quite a bit back then. Good times. I used to like Muncie. Good RB.

We were lucky to grow up around that, man...and I completely agree about how it was so special when that MNF theme started playing...good times for sure!

The most informative sports book I ever read was "Necessary Roughness" by Mike Trope, a former agent for dozens of NFL stars. In it, Trope describes what it was like to deal with some VERY strange clients. A chapter was devoted to Muncie.

In terms of talent, Muncie was an all time great. The man weighed at least 235 and had corner speed. When he was able to turn the corner, square his shoulders and head upfield, he was nearly impossible to stop. His style resembled that of the great (imo) Franco Harris, but Muncie was bigger, faster and stronger.

RIP Chuck.

He was a faster version of George Rogers, not as fast as Bo Jackson of course but a very comparable athlete to Herschel Walker.

He played with a lot of speedy players at San Diego but it's said that in full football gear and carrying a football, he was the fastest player on the team. Coryell actually timed his skill position players that way.

Could have been even better without the white lines issue.

True but I think it's important to remember that he did change his life and he did turn it around and that isn't an easy feat to do for individuals with addiction problems.

I always feared him when he was playing the Bills. He was seemed bigger than Dickerson, and reminds me of Eddie George (but better). He ran upright, but still pounded, and at his best seemed the perfect combination of size and speed, and seemed unstoppable.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

1980- my first year of caring about Bills football...beating SD week five in the battle of undefeated teams...kinda cool...RIP Chuck....

I remember them getting revenge and beating us in the playoffs 20-14. Fergy played on a busted ankle, and Fouts beat us late in the game with a bomb. I seem to remember Muncie fumbling at some point.