Tight End issue resolved??? Brandon Kaufman....

JTO

Brad Smith. Wildcat QB. Lets just revisit his passing stats in the 2 years Brad has been with the Bills. 2 attempts which resulted in 2 interceptions. So no completed passes as a Bill. In his 7 years in the league 9 attempts with 4 completions. Clearly there is no passing threat when he steps in as Wildcat QB but Brad was excellent in short yardage runs. I just dont understand why opponents dont totally commit to defend the run when Brad is under centre. Hackett needs to find another option for gadget plays.

Chan Gailey is gone and so is the Wildcat. The reason the Wildcat is going extinct in this league is exactly as you asked about Smith…. in the Wildcat the opponent knows 95% that it's a running play. During the Wildcat craze there wasn't a team using it that had a viable passing threat.

Another reason for the extinction of the Wildcat is the influx of read option QBs in the league. Read option plays are essentially Wildcat plays except now there's actually a passing threat which makes the plays much more effective.

The reason that Brad Smith is on the roster is because the team believes he has good potential as a wide receiver, which he showed in flashes in limited opportunities. Brad Smith still has the elite measurables that he came out of college with.

More like David Nelson with some speed.

Ah but Nelson actually timed faster than Kaufman.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor mans David Nelson.

I'll say up front that this is nit-picking, so don't take it personally.

David Nelson was an UDFA, just as Kaufman is, so the poor man's thing doesn't make sense.

Nelson clone maybe, but poor-man's nothin'

Phew, I feel better now.

EDIT: I retract this statement, as SJBF has pointed out the flaw in my thinking (see below)

Carry on.

Edited by thebandit27

I'll say up front that this is nit-picking, so don't take it personally.

David Nelson was an UDFA, just as Kaufman is, so the poor man's thing doesn't make sense.

Nelson clone maybe, but poor-man's nothin'

Phew, I feel better now.

Well besides Nelson having better measurables (40 yard time, vertical jump) Nelson also played at a higher level of competition than Kaufman so there's that too.

I'm not trying to denigrate Kaufman but just pointing out some facts.

In looking at WR Brandon Kaufman I realized that he is 6'5" @ 215 pounds. He also runs a 4-58 40 yard dash. He's got magnet hands and an impressive vertical should he need to jump up and catch overthrown balls. If he is able to gain an additional 10-20 lbs of muscle he may be able to covert into a TE. Do you guys agree?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3j8_rXaYME

David Nelson 2.0 Pass.

Well besides Nelson having better measurables (40 yard time, vertical jump) Nelson also played at a higher level of competition than Kaufman so there's that too.

Very good points...hadn't thought about that.

I guess, in that sense, he is a poor-man's Nelson.

My apologies to Bangarang, you were right on.

At the same point, Nelson was like a 3rd or 4th option on Florida where as this guy was the #1 option. Odd are he won't come close to Nelson's stats, but some reason, wr seems to be a position where a lot of later round or UDFAs seem to make an impact.

And if I was in his shoes, I'd really talk to the coaches about bulking up. A 4.58 wr is nothing special but a 4.58 TE can be a game changer. Evan Moore of the Browns shifted from college wr to tight end with some success.

At the same point, Nelson was like a 3rd or 4th option on Florida where as this guy was the #1 option. Odd are he won't come close to Nelson's stats, but some reason, wr seems to be a position where a lot of later round or UDFAs seem to make an impact.

And if I was in his shoes, I'd really talk to the coaches about bulking up. A 4.58 wr is nothing special but a 4.58 TE can be a game changer. Evan Moore of the Browns shifted from college wr to tight end with some success.

What if by bulking up he loses speed and quickness?

And of course this doesn't address the question of whether his frame is suitable for carrying an extra 25 pounds or more.

Again I think changing positions is a disservice to the guy.

Gragg not shying away from Hernandez comparisons: http://www.buffalobi...=tw_buf_article

As I've posted elsewhere, I would not be surprised if Gragg is the starting TE for the Bills.

He has slightly less than ideal height but he has long arms and runs like the wind.

Really a great athlete and awesome value for a 7th rounder.

Why is there a thread about converting every tall WR to a TE?

It's a prerequisite this time of year when people realize the TE position is weak. Next thing will be people saying is how a 215# WR can replicate what a 240 pound guy can do in terms of match-ups. <_<

As I've posted elsewhere, I would not be surprised if Gragg is the starting TE for the Bills.

He has slightly less than ideal height but he has long arms and runs like the wind.

Really a great athlete and awesome value for a 7th rounder.

Would be great if he makes it for the Bills to offer a Hernandez like threat to help the Bills take full advantage of the TE position in the passing game.

Don't care too much about David Nelsons 40 yard and jump measurables. More important are number of catches, yards, TDs and type of catches. I know it's the Big Sky League but 140 yards and 10 catches against PAC12 Washington (matched up against a R1 drafted CB) suggests to me he can catch. More important he can catch the ball in tight coverage (as his highlight reel demonstrates). I see a bright future for Mr Kaufman.

Don't care too much about David Nelsons 40 yard and jump measurables. More important are number of catches, yards, TDs and type of catches. I know it's the Big Sky League but 140 yards and 10 catches against PAC12 Washington (matched up against a R1 drafted CB) suggests to me he can catch. More important he can catch the ball in tight coverage (as his highlight reel demonstrates). I see a bright future for Mr Kaufman.

I don't know if the stats are that much more meaningful than the measurables.

Nelson played in a 4-wideout spread at Florida. Not sure what Kaufman played in but without more information I wouldn't assume Kaufman is the better player.

I certainly hope he is though.

Why does this Bills team constantly do this and why do fans want to see it? Let's get a guy who's completely in between positions and make him work. The only guy that has worked out in that capacity REMOTELY for this team was Jason Peters. Even for him, he had 1 good season (contract season). He's been average at best for Phily. This is not a shot or ding on Kaufman, but there are only so many roster spots and so many repetitions to get in practice. I don't want a guy taking up a spot or reps, that in all likelihood probably do anything to improve the team. Waste of time and effort.

It is too bad he will not be here next week because of his school obligations. He needs all the work he can get and it would be nice to see him work with veteran D backs. I think he has a very good chance to stick as a role player/red zone guy to start his career. I do think the Nelson comparisons are valid he looks like he is bigger in the upper body than Nelson. It also helps that he saves the Bills a good bit of cap space as a UDFA vrs. a Veteran, and of course Nelson had a serious injury to rehab.

^^^This.

I too, would like to see how Kaufmann does against veteran defenders before issuing a final estimation... Although I freely admit to liking what I see so far.

His collegiate body of work is impressive, but what peaks my interest is HOW Kaufman corralled some of those passes. Bo levi Mitchell has a powerful arm, and had great confidence that Kaufman would bring in balls if they were aired-out. Classic pitch and catch with a big, speedy, target.

Except for the fact that even at 6'5", Kaufman either high-points, leaps, or lays-out for many of these catches. Smaller DB's (even athletic ones) had very long days trying to stop him from succeeding. -Not only does that show determination, It also shows an interest in dominating the other guy. If a receiver can render DB's totally ineffective, the act of catching ceases to be that, and instead morphs into OWNING. -It gets ugly. Once that ball is overhead you can Fughettaboutit.

When was the last time we had a receiver that OWNED like that?

So, he's a little light in the @ss, -big whoop... Upon entering the league, improved nutrition, and access to pro trainers & facilities bulks lots of these kids up quickly. My only concern is whether or not the kid can exponentialize his talent. Despite being an academic star, he was still able to improve his game significantly over time at EWU. -Now you expose a kid like that to the expertise of Ike Hilliard, the skill level of Steve Johnson, and the competition that a DC like Pettine will no doubt inflict on him? Hmm... I'm interested in seeing how Kaufman responds. If it's anything like his college days, we could have something very special on our hands.

Edited by #34fan

If anything, I'd say Chris Gragg could be the answer. At 6'3" and 244# and with 4.4 speed, he's heftier and faster than Kaufman, albeit 2" shorter.

Gragg looks very impressive. I hope he's involved in the offense early on. Him, plus SJ and Woods, Spiller out of the screen.... Pepper-in a little Dorin Dickerson and Kaufman in red-zone situations.... Fughettaboutit. -Put up the 6 and hand the kicker his helmet. :lol: