Is San Diego SCREWED?

stevestojan

You can't trade Brees right now.  San Diego has been awful for 10 years, and then they finally have a good season and have a 25 year old QB that played at a Pro Bowl level, and you're going to trade him and start all over again?

200382[/snapback]

sure you can. they probably would've last year if there were any takers, but, oh wait a minute...he sucked. brees gave them some leverage for a trade this year. that's all he did. he had one good season.

SD still has not won a playoff game in over 10 years. they have a top 5 pick sitting on the bench. you GOTTA play that kid. he was picked that high for a reason. get all you can for brees, years from now i think that we'll all look back at this being his best season as a pro. why wait for him to come down to earth agian and stunt rivers development at the same time.

A lot of posters are talking about whether or not SD trades Brees. Just to be clear, his contract is up this year and they can't trade him unless they re-sign him OR use the franchise tag to retain his rights.

Franchising anyone creates a risk that the player will then be untradeable because few (or no) teams will want to pay top 5 money for one year for the player in question. Who would want to rent a quarterback (that is, a key guy who doesn't know your offense) for big bucks for one season?

So it only should only work for SD if Brees agrees to a multi-year deal either with the new team (as Peerless did) or with SD that's acceptable to the new team. (And if SD can work out a multi-year contract they may not need to franchise him.)

This is all written with the assumption SD wants to get some value for Brees when they lose him. If they actually want to KEEP him, things are different.

A lot of posters are talking about whether or not SD trades Brees.  Just to be clear, his contract is up this year and they can't trade him unless they re-sign him OR use the franchise tag to retain his rights.

Franchising anyone creates a risk that the player will then be untradeable because few (or no) teams will want to pay top 5 money for one year for the player in question.  Who would want to rent a quarterback (that is, a key guy who doesn't know your offense) for big bucks for one season?

So it only should only work for SD if Brees agrees to a multi-year deal either with the new team (as Peerless did) or with SD that's acceptable to the new team.  (And if SD can work out a multi-year contract they may not need to franchise him.)

This is all written with the assumption SD wants to get some value for Brees when they lose him.  If they actually want to KEEP him, things are different.

200455[/snapback]

when i say trade, yes, i mean a sign and trade much like we did with peerless. the reason i don't think this is risky is because he's a 25 year old pro bowl qb. how can there not be a market for him? if we got the 23rd pick for peerless, then brees should warrant a top 15 selection.

if they can't for whatever reason get something in return for him, then I would have no idea what to do. that would be a really tough spot for them.

when i say trade, yes, i mean a sign and trade much like we did with peerless.  the reason i don't think this is risky is because he's a 25 year old pro bowl qb.  how can there not be a market for him?  if we got the 23rd pick for peerless, then brees should warrant a top 15 selection.

if they can't for whatever reason get something in return for him, then I would have no idea what to do.  that would be a really tough spot for them.

200472[/snapback]

I can only say this: If SD is stupid enough to want to trade Brees, I hope the Bills are smart enough to pick him up.

You can't trade Brees right now.  San Diego has been awful for 10 years, and then they finally have a good season and have a 25 year old QB that played at a Pro Bowl level, and you're going to trade him and start all over again?

200382[/snapback]

Just to play the :D 's advocate, as my feelings on this subject were previously mentioned but tell that to the Cinncinati Bengals, granted Kitna was 31 last year and not 25.

Hate to tell you but San Diego is 21 million undr the 2005 cap.

Brees will be franchised tagged for 9 million, still leavig plenty of money for taking care of draft picks and extending Antonio Gates.

Ok, so right now, it seems the only logical thing SD can do is throw the franchise tag of Drew Brees. So, if they do that, the average of the top 5 QBs in the league is about $9million. Then, you have to contend with paying Rivers still. I believe he was signed to 6 years at $40 million. So, assuming that is divided evenly over the life of the contract, next year, that's $6.6 million. So, you have $15 in QB alone.

Now, factor in that they will have to pay a 1st rounder (their regular old 1st round pick, most likely in the bottom 10, but still 1st round money).

THEN, they will have yet ANOTHER 1st rounder from the Giants.

That's paying Bress $9m, Rivers $6.6m, and two first rounders.

Now, let's say they decide to just trade Rivers. What will they get for him? A 1st rounder.

In that case, they will be paying Brees his $9m, and then THREE brand new 1st rounders?

Man, how long until San Diego is in the pits of salary cap hell?

200170[/snapback]

Comparing the Cincy QB situation last year to San Diego's this year doesn't paint an accurate picture. Carson Palmer is twice the talent of Rivers and Brees is not a re-tread QB. Everyone who is saying Brees will only have one good year are the same people that said Brady would only have 1 good year. Brees has improved dramatically from his first few years in the league and even from college. He was always a smart QB but inexplicably now has the arm strength he never had. I don't know if it is mechanical or if he is just stronger, but the guy now has very good zip on his passes and is the difference for him being sub-par and now a Pro Bowl level QB. It would be such a poor decision to get rid of Brees and hand over the reigns to Rivers. But it's the Chargers, so anything is possible.