Jets trade vs Bills Plans...why worry?

I just don't get why I see so many people saying that the Jets trade now forces the Bills to go QB at #8. I just do not see how the Jets will pick a QB at either 9 or 13, it just makes no sense. Maybe in the 2nd, but I can not see any scenario where they do it in the first unless Geno Smith is there and I do not think Geno Smith will even get to us (and if he does, we would take him likely anyway).

1. Jets already invested a TON of money into Sanchez and his extension.

2. QB is already crowded and controversial with Sanchez and Tebow.

3. No QB in this class is a "must" draft.

4. Jets have major holes at DB, OL, TE, WR, and pass rush. Not to mention they could use a RB.

5. There is going to major talent on the OL at 9 and 13 when they pick. I can not see how they would pass up Warmack for instance when they really need a guard to take a gamble on a QB.

6. Milliner would be 100% the pick at 9 if he was still there. If not there are 2 other corners I can see them grabbing at 13.

7. Rex wants to get back to tough D and smash mouth football, and he knows he can win that way already with Sanchez as they went to two AFC championship games. This will also be the quickest road to success other than taking a QB high and having to groom him with all these other holes still, especially a QB with lots of question marks.

I just don't see any scenario (except maybe Geno) where the Jets go QB in the first round. They are going to almost certainly take a guy like Warmack/Cooper or the best OT on their board at one of those picks and then take either one of these stud DL guys or top corner on the board. Then in the 2nd, they could grab a QB, but I still think they look to add more playmakers on D or continue to fill the OL or look to grab one of the top RB's there which is about where they should come off the board.

So, I don't see the Jets as any reason to force Buffalo's hand at 8. We may very well go QB at 8, but if we do, I firmly believe its only because that's what we wanted not because of this trade.

didn't you already post this and it got locked? it was the same exact topic. I'll post again what I posted there, but with an extra pick in the 1st the Jets can gamble a little bit. Sanchize is terrible, if they can get Geno at 9 or 13 I think they will go for it

didn't you already post this and it got locked? it was the same exact topic. I'll post again what I posted there, but with an extra pick in the 1st the Jets can gamble a little bit. Sanchize is terrible, if they can get Geno at 9 or 13 I think they will go for it

No, didnt post this anywhere. I have just been listening to a lot of sports radio and they keep talking about it as if it now locks the Bills into a QB. Sorry, did not see the other thread. I will post my topic there then.

As far as Geno goes, I said he would maybe the exception, however I also just don't believe we would pass on Geno if he was even there at 8 and dont see Geno being in play for us, let alone the Jets. So Geno being available would not force our hand because we would likely take him. No one believes there is even a 1% chance Geno would last until our pick in the 2nd, so him being there is irrelevant to the conversation.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Alphadog put up some solid logic, but I also would agree with kdiggz. If by some chance Geno Smith is passed on all the way to #9, the Jets could easily gamble on him. One problem with Alphadog's logic is the money factor. With the rookie salary scale, the Jets wouldn't be sinking any measurable amount of money into Smith with either the 9 or 13 pick. While the Sanchize does have his entire $8.25 million salary guaranteed in 2013 and will count $9.85 million against the Jets cap this year, nothing is guaranteed afterward. The Jets could afford the cap hit of $4.8 million in 2014 or force him to renegotiate if he doesn't progress. I do think Rexy will be focused on defense in this draft none the less. It's what got them there in the past and his template for winning games.

Alphadog put up some solid logic, but I also would agree with kdiggz. If by some chance Geno Smith is passed on all the way to #9, the Jets could easily gamble on him. One problem with Alphadog's logic is the money factor. With the rookie salary scale, the Jets wouldn't be sinking any measurable amount of money into Smith with either the 9 or 13 pick. While the Sanchize does have his entire $8.25 million salary guaranteed in 2013 and will count $9.85 million against the Jets cap this year, nothing is guaranteed afterward. The Jets could afford the cap hit of $4.8 million in 2014 or force him to renegotiate if he doesn't progress. I do think Rexy will be focused on defense in this draft none the less. It's what got them there in the past and his template for winning games.

I agree about Geno, that is why I said he would be the exception. But again, what does Geno matter though. That means every QB was likely still on the board at 8 and the Bills chose to pass on one. There is no way the Bills would pass on Geno then hope he falls to them in the 2nd as no one believes he will. If the Bills choose to pass on Geno it will because they don't have him as the top QB on their board and then who cares if Jets take him because the Bills were never gonna take him anyway. So, that is why I think the Jets extra pick has no relevance at all on whether the Bills go QB at #8 because if there is a guy they really want there they are gonna take him anyway. Plus, I don't see any scenario that Geno will land with the Jets as I don't think he will even be on the board when we pick, and if he is, I just don't see the Bills passing on Geno. Then again, Geno may not even be the top QB on the Bills board, so who knows.

The only thing that really factors into their decision, like the bills decision is: if they love one of the QBs available to them, take him. They NEED a QB. It's the most important position by far. If they think Geno, Barkley, nassib, Manuel or any other QB is a stud, they should take him. Period. Yes, the jets have many holes to fill. None more important than QB. Sanchez's contract is guaranteed this year. If cut following this season, they will save lots of cap room. Their QBs stink. They need a QB. Take one if you like one. I don't think there's any debate regarding this subject. Jmo.

I won't be surprised if the Jets use 9 or 13 + another pick to move up for Milliner. I think if he makes it to Cleveland it's a possiblity. I think Cleveland is in a great spot for a trade down if the draft falls their way. (L Johnson gets taken before Ari, Milliner could be a target from a few teams)

You need a franchise QB to be successful in todays NFL. You cant get a franchise qb through free agency. You can however, pick up every other position on the field through free agency. The draft is the only place to get your franchise qb. With the exception of P Mannings injury and the whole situation surrounding Andrew Luck and the first pick, teams never let go of a franchise qb.

So my point is, the jets can address other needs through FA. But they have to draft a franchise qb. So its very possible the Jets will draft a qb and therefore put the Bills in a position where they cant wait.

I would LOVE for the Jets to get Geno. From what I've heard and read about his lack of football "smarts" it would be fun to see Pettine's defense go after him twice a season. That, and Marrone has owned him.