NFL and taxes - I never knew this

My point was teams getting screwed relative to their home games.

The Seahawks don't get taxed at home but get taxed on the road. In that sense they get screwed on the road.

The Bills get taxed less on the road than they do at home so they benefit from road games.

Obviously based on state income tax, as an NFL player you'd rather play for Seattle (or Dallas, etc) than you would for Buffalo.

Fair enough.

That sucks. But I gotta think playing at the Ralph costs players a ton as well.

When I had a friend playing for the Bills he said he could count on paying in 50% in taxes and I could never figure out why with the tax breaks for higher incomes, but now that makes sense with all the variable state taxes taken out

There are tax breaks for higher incomes?

My point was teams getting screwed relative to their home games.

The Seahawks don't get taxed at home but get taxed on the road. In that sense they get screwed on the road.

The Bills get taxed less on the road than they do at home so they benefit from road games.

Obviously based on state income tax, as an NFL player you'd rather play for Seattle (or Dallas, etc) than you would for Buffalo.

Having lived in Seattle for 20+ years I can tell you that there are a number of other ways that the State of Washington, and King (Cha-ching) County have to get their equivalent money. I also lived in Houston for 4 years and can say the same thing about Texas. No State Inclome Tax per se but when you add all the other crap up it's close to even.

What's the point? BFLO/NYS has other tangible benefits to offer. Remember the Craig Rivet thing when he cringed about getting traded to the Sabres... He was coming from San Jose and called his real estate agent and asked what kinda house will 7 million (what he was accustomed to living in) get him. His agent responsed with: "7 million? LoL, try at the very most 2 will get you what you are accustomed to!" Sure, the "game" is bigger in other areas... But how much more is one gonna REASONABLY expect to get back on your investment when the "game" maxs out? The "game" is smaller in WNY, no doubt, even if taxes are higher. IMO, most of this comes out in the wash. Just my opinion...

Having lived in Seattle for 20+ years I can tell you that there are a number of other ways that the State of Washington, and King (Cha-ching) County have to get their equivalent money. I also lived in Houston for 4 years and can say the same thing about Texas. No State Inclome Tax per se but when you add all the other crap up it's close to even.

That is what I was alluding to..

What's the point? BFLO/NYS has other tangible benefits to offer. Remember the Craig Rivet thing when he cringed about getting traded to the Sabres... He was coming from San Jose and called his real estate agent and asked what kinda house will 7 million (what he was accustomed to living in) get him. His agent responsed with: "7 million? LoL, try at the very most 2 will get you what you are accustomed to!" Sure, the "game" is bigger in other areas... But how much more is one gonna REASONABLY expect to get back on your investment when the "game" maxs out? The "game" is smaller in WNY, no doubt, even if taxes are higher. IMO, most of this comes out in the wash. Just my opinion...

People who live in NYS get gouged massively in every way.

For instance, Real estate here is very expensive. But the tax rates are much lower than in Erie County.

Here's a property in San Jose which is listing for $550,000. The total taxes are $4532 per year.

http://www.zillow.co.../19790937_zpid/

Here's a property in Williamsville which is listing for $389,400. The total taxes are $10,347.

http://www.zillow.co.../30245590_zpid/

And keep in mind that living in CA is expensive. But New Yorkers get the crap taxed out of them.

I vaguely remember from work that we don't travel to California for more than 4 days or we can be subject to their state income tax as well....hmmm

I used to work in California and worked several weeks at a time before needing to leave.

You get taxed based on what state you perform your work in

Yup; when I used to travel to clients we needed to keep a 2d timesheet to record what state we were in each day and file multiple state returns at year end.

Taxes are taxes, it is what it is. But I do find this "duty day" way of calculating to be kind of rediculous. In the Forbes article linked by Icansleepwhenimdead Louisiana calculates

(total compensation) X (LA duty days/total duty days). Now, that's not a big deal for the regular season, but shouldn't they be calculating a player's salary earned for the week for the playoffs instead of total salary? In that article they say that Anquan Boldin owes is taxed on $180K of his income from his $6M salary because he was in Louisiana for 6 out of the 200 NFL working days ($6,000,000 *6/200).

The Ravens players, as winners, earned $88K per player while the 49ers got $44K for playing in the SB game. Don't you think they should be taxed on that instead of the amount of days of their total salary? To me, it sounds like they could actually lose money to play in the Super Bowl, depending on how big their annual salary is and the amount of days spent in a certain jurisdiction.

So, the perfect NFL schedule would have you playing for say.. the Buccs, and you'd have away games in Miami, Jacksonville, Seattle, Dallas, Houston, Tennessee, Chicago and either Pittsburgh or Philadelphia?

How the heck could they play 4 or 5 road games against AFC teams? The Bucs are in the NFC and would play only two away games against AFC teams. This idea won't work.

When it comes to paying your taxes, just shut up and pay them. As a society you can't go around being an ignorant consumer and voluntarily piss your money away and expect the government to not view the sheep as ignorant slobs to simply tax to death. The American consumer is a herd to be pilfered. With the advent of "dynamic pricing " oozing through out the web your overall spending habits will be used against you like never before. If you want Uncle Sam to tax you less, you have to spend money and lobby for your cause. It's 2013, if your not gonna pay for the laws you want up front, you'll ultimately pay for the laws other organizations want on the back end. It's not a matter of right or wrong, it's how it is. Work with it instead of against it. If not, try praying, just don't complain about it.

This isn't really news. I live in one state and work in another -- all of the salary I earn at my full time job is taxed in the state I work in. I get a credit for taxes paid and can apply it to the state I live in (to help offset capital gains, interest, etc). It's annoying having to fill in multiple returns though.

It would suck depending on what team you played with.

Bills players get to be taxed at a lower rate for their 8 away games than for their 8 home games so they actually benefit.

Bills players are unique in one other sense. they're the NFL's only team whose players/employees annually pay taxes in Canada/Ontario.

jw

I was contracted a few months ago by a government agency in CA trying to have me tell them all of the items I bought in other states, and then brought to CA where I live, so they can charge me taxes on any percentage above what I paid in another state. So, for instance, if I bought a iPad in Missouri and paid 4.25% MO sales tax on it, CA wanted me to send them 5.5% of whatever I paid for the iPad because the CA sales tax is 9.75 or whatever.

I know. Insane.

I refused.