Watched a game from 2004 the other night

Game 10 vs the Rams. We were 3-6 going in. Bledsoe had apparently **** the bed against the pats* in a Sunday Night game the week before.

We had some swagger tho. Especially on D. Milloy was a beast. Takeo & Sam Adams also huge games. 6 sacks, 3 turnovers. Punt return for a TD then forced a fumble on the ensuing kickoff. 3 TD passes to a Tight End! A friggin' FLEA FLICKER!!!

Man I miss having a top-5 defense...

Game 10 vs the Rams. We were 3-6 going in. Bledsoe had apparently **** the bed against the pats* in a Sunday Night game the week before.

We had some swagger tho. Especially on D. Milloy was a beast. Takeo & Sam Adams also huge games. 6 sacks, 3 turnovers. Punt return for a TD then forced a fumble on the ensuing kickoff. 3 TD passes to a Tight End! A friggin' FLEA FLICKER!!!

Mark Campbell. Ha Wow, I had to look. Neufield and Euhus were there, too. Euhus was a rookie, too bad he didn't work out.

A top 5 defense on last years team would have put us in the playoffs.

Mark Campbell. Ha Wow, I had to look. Neufield and Euhus were there, too. Euhus was a rookie, too bad he didn't work out.

A top 5 defense on last years team would have put us in the playoffs.

So would Peyton Manning.

Quick story about that game. I live in Albany, from wny originally. A buddy of mine won tickets to the game that Saturday afternoon, called me late sat and asked if I wanted the tickets (he's a pats fan). I decided to go and took my 10 year old son.I told him we were taking a road trip, with road trip rules so the backseat of the car was his place to hang. From the moment we left at 6am, to the rest area stop where a kindly hostess gave him a free donut for the trip, to the drew Bledsoe bobble head they gave us at..mcdonalds (?), to the tailgate/football toss before the game it was awesome. I wasn't hoping for a win, had a couple beers and tried to wait it out but finally had to use the bathroom and of course over his objections I made him come with me. Literally minutes later, Campbell scored and I realized i likely made him miss the only td of the game. From there, the rest is history, the wheels came off the rams bus and it was one of the great games of my life. A family of several guys (20s or so) were In the row In front of us with their dad and told my son he was the good luck charm, and they treated my son like a king the wholebgame. High fives, rubbing his head for good luck-----and making a major ruckus all the time....all the good things about football fans you hope to see at the stadium. After the game, we went to my brothers house in williamsville, again my son was treated like a king and ended the night watching starsky and hutch (Ben stiller version), still one of our all time favorite movies.

It really was an awesome experience, one he (and obviously I) will never forget. Thanks for bringing it up!

I loved the moves that TD made on defense...it's not a popular sentiment, but I feel strongly that Whitey would have gotten the ship righted sooner or later. If we would have kept him here instead of farting around with Marv and Buddy, there's no way we miss the playoffs this many years.

How about this totally random fact: Erik Flowers was on the Rams for that game!! I have zero recollection of that.

As was Bryce Fisher.

I loved the moves that TD made on defense...it's not a popular sentiment, but I feel strongly that Whitey would have gotten the ship righted sooner or later. If we would have kept him here instead of farting around with Marv and Buddy, there's no way we miss the playoffs this many years.

It was mentioned during that game that Milloy had missed several games with a broken arm and had recently come back. We went on a 8-1 run after that (of course only to lose to the Stillers scrubs in the finale to miss the playoffs :cry: )

Sam Adams was freakishly fast off the snap for a man that big. That secondary was the only weak spot.

2004 was our last "best" season....I had a ton of fun watching us that year. I still feel that we had a Super Bowl caliber defense with Jerry Gray that could have taken us places eventually. With an O-line that could have kept Bledsoe upright we would have ended the playoff drought for sure. To roar back after going 0-4 like that was really exciting.

I think AJ makes a great point about TD. We were on the doorstep of the playoffs and things were finally moving in the right direction. The last game sucked for sure (Willy Parker....who knew?) but I still feel that jettisoning Bledsoe for Losman was a mistake. TD bet everything on JP but it turned out to be his downfall. Then the Levy/Mularkey debacle....yikes.

I will always wax nostalgic about the 2003-2004 seasons. Those were the years I started traveling to Buffalo for games for the first time (I am from MA originally) and I loved so many of the players. Spikes, Bledsoe, Winfield, T. Henry, Moulds, etc....

http://en.wikipedia....lo_Bills_season

"According to Football Outsiders, who has tracked every play in the NFL since the early 1990s, the 2004 Bills are statistically the best NFL team (in their record-keeping history) to have failed to qualify for the playoffs."

*Sigh*

Edited by Jay4481

Wow, you're watching games from 2004 in your spare time?

Quick story about that game. I live in Albany, from wny originally. A buddy of mine won tickets to the game that Saturday afternoon, called me late sat and asked if I wanted the tickets (he's a pats fan). I decided to go and took my 10 year old son.I told him we were taking a road trip, with road trip rules so the backseat of the car was his place to hang. From the moment we left at 6am, to the rest area stop where a kindly hostess gave him a free donut for the trip, to the drew Bledsoe bobble head they gave us at..mcdonalds (?), to the tailgate/football toss before the game it was awesome. I wasn't hoping for a win, had a couple beers and tried to wait it out but finally had to use the bathroom and of course over his objections I made him come with me. Literally minutes later, Campbell scored and I realized i likely made him miss the only td of the game. From there, the rest is history, the wheels came off the rams bus and it was one of the great games of my life. A family of several guys (20s or so) were In the row In front of us with their dad and told my son he was the good luck charm, and they treated my son like a king the wholebgame. High fives, rubbing his head for good luck-----and making a major ruckus all the time....all the good things about football fans you hope to see at the stadium. After the game, we went to my brothers house in williamsville, again my son was treated like a king and ended the night watching starsky and hutch (Ben stiller version), still one of our all time favorite movies.

It really was an awesome experience, one he (and obviously I) will never forget. Thanks for bringing it up!

Great story...i remember this game a well, but different reasons. My dad died suddenly the Friday night before the game( not a sad thing, he was 84, still hitting on the nurses when he went in for emergency surgery, hope i go in the similar manner).

LOng story, but man we had a great Time watching that game with the extended family in his family room. Always good memories

That game in 2004 against the Rams was my last visit to the Ralph. I had flown across from the UK a few days before with no great expectation as we were facing the "Greatest Show on Turf" (Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Marshall Faulk and a young Steven Jackson) and especially at 10 - 0 down at the end of Q1. But little did I know that Bledsoe and the Bills would be putting on the show that day. Great entertainment and hospitality in Cheektowaga on the Saturday night and a fantastic tailgate at the stadium. On Sunday I boarded the night train from Depew that eventually took me up to Seattle who the Bills were playing the following week. The Seahawks were duly demolished 38 - 9 with 4 TDs from McGahee. What a fantastic week in the life of a Buffalo Bills fan.

I will always wax nostalgic about the 2003-2004 seasons. Those were the years I started traveling to Buffalo for games for the first time (I am from MA originally) and I loved so many of the players. Spikes, Bledsoe, Winfield, T. Henry, Moulds, etc....

http://en.wikipedia....lo_Bills_season

"According to Football Outsiders, who has tracked every play in the NFL since the early 1990s, the 2004 Bills are statistically the best NFL team (in their record-keeping history) to have failed to qualify for the playoffs."

*Sigh*

Great story...i remember this game a well, but different reasons. My dad died suddenly the Friday night before the game( not a sad thing, he was 84, still hitting on the nurses when he went in for emergency surgery, hope i go in the similar manner).

LOng story, but man we had a great Time watching that game with the extended family in his family room. Always good memories

That game in 2004 against the Rams was my last visit to the Ralph. I had flown across from the UK a few days before with no great expectation as we were facing the "Greatest Show on Turf" (Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Marshall Faulk and a young Steven Jackson) and especially at 10 - 0 down at the end of Q1. But little did I know that Bledsoe and the Bills would be putting on the show that day. Great entertainment and hospitality in Cheektowaga on the Saturday night and a fantastic tailgate at the stadium. On Sunday I boarded the night train from Depew that eventually took me up to Seattle who the Bills were playing the following week. The Seahawks were duly demolished 38 - 9 with 4 TDs from McGahee. What a fantastic week in the life of a Buffalo Bills fan.

The story I have about this game actually occurred the other night as I re-watched it. My son looks at the TV screen and instantly says "Oh I remember this game. I went to it. We crush them. This is when I was actually a Bills fan".

He was 6 years old when he went to this game and I'm sure he hasn't seen it since it happened.

Sadly the years of mediocrity have taken their toll on his fandom. But apparently not on his memory.

Wow, you're watching games from 2004 in your spare time?

Yep. Every spring I start digging out the old recordings. I copied this one from VHS to DVD as I watched.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

Great story....is your son still a Bills fan? Maybe we can get a few posters to chip in and buy him season tickets? (kidding, kidding. kind of)

How about this totally random fact: Erik Flowers was on the Rams for that game!! I have zero recollection of that.

That is shocking.

Probably true....but there is that whole drinking blood thing. :devil:

The story I have about this game actually occurred the other night as I re-watched it. My son looks at the TV screen and instantly says "Oh I remember this game. I went to it. We crush them. This is when I was actually a Bills fan".

He was 6 years old when he went to this game and I'm sure he hasn't seen it since it happened.

Sadly the years of mediocrity have taken their toll on his fandom. But apparently not on his memory.

That is simultaneously funny and sad. It is strange, however, when a clip of a game comes on and I can immediately recall where I was and what happened in that game (most of the time). Hopefully your son gets some glory years to cheer for.

That is ok I still watch 1991 games... Gotta have something to keep me rooting for this team even if it is decades old memories...

Preach it! I love the old stuff. It's been 13 years....

Great story....is your son still a Bills fan? Maybe we can get a few posters to chip in and buy him season tickets? (kidding, kidding. kind of)

He is indeed. He's 18 now, going to college in the fall and will be in Rhode Island. I'm certain he'll be surrounded by pats fans, but through it all he's a bills fan, as is my 14 year old son. That game locked him in, probably sadly, for the rest of his life. We go to a game a year, have a blast.

Yeah, the bills can pick you up, too. great way to look at that!

It was mentioned during that game that Milloy had missed several games with a broken arm and had recently come back. We went on a 8-1 run after that (of course only to lose to the Stillers scrubs in the finale to miss the playoffs :cry: )

Sam Adams was freakishly fast off the snap for a man that big. That secondary was the only weak spot.

IIRC, we signed Sam well after the start of free agency, and when they announced the signing at OBD, many of us here at TBD were ready to sign over our first born to TD and bow down at his feet. The guy clearly had some missteps, but the guy not only took his shots but he got stuff done. Didn't he sign Posey at like 12:01am, a minute into free agency? I know a lot of guys scoff at that, and I can't argue with them since TD ultimately didn't get it done, but it was just cool having a GM where you felt anything was possible. I really think if we could poll all those people who wanted TD gone back in 2005, and ask them if they would have rather just left him in play, many of them would now say "yes". He had some very big shoes to fill in JB, and obviously we had a ton of success in the prior 12 years before he took over. But dang, I wish we would have hung on to him just a little longer.

Probably true....but there is that whole drinking blood thing. :devil:

lol, this is true

I remember this game was on on FOX. The Bills were losing in the first/second quarter and the channel went blank, for a good 25 minutes. itThis was before everyone had HDTV's, so we had an antenna. I remember switching to the CBS channel and watched two garbage teams battle it out, and it seems like In those 20 or so minutes they went to a game break to show a Bills highlight. 3 mark Campbell TD's and Nate Clements punt return (the summer sault flip?)

When the game came back on I believe It was 31-10? I missed almost all the scoring but it was still fun to follow. Anyone have a similar story?

Also, I remember every single game that year. We went on an amazing run