Not all drafts are "good" - 2009

Have a look at the top 10 selections in the 2009 draft and tell me that the Bills were the only "stupid" team when they picked Aron Maybin.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/What-happened-here.html

Knowshown Moreno, Larry English and Robert Ayers were also picked shortly after Maybin.

My point is that some drafts are weak, some are strong and overall the "hit rate even among first rounders isn't as high as many think.

That's a pretty horrid list, but still doesn't excuse the Bills drafting a 228 lb DE. There were also several pro bowlers picked in the first round that year.

No doubt, not intending to excuse the Maybin pick. My only point was that not all draft classes are chock full of great players. Some classes are downright poor.

Is this supposed to make us feel better?

Maybin was the last player I wanted the Bills to take that year just like Jarvis Jones is this year

As much as I prefer not to take players from Texas, Orakpo was clearly better option but Bills took Maybin mainly bc they needed a DE and for some reason thought he was one

Edited by Max997

I agree. There are drafts where you have to go out of your way to make a bad top 10 pick while other years only half are deemed hits. Every draft will have 2 or 3 guys taken within the top 10 that just don't pan out and are labeled busts. A deeper analysis would have to be done go find what are he factors between success and failure in drafting top talent. This year's draft is said to be with out top talent but is deeper in over all talent. Just hope the Bills draft well and not try to be cute like the Maybin selection. Wonder what they would be like with Brian Orakpo or Brian Cushing instead of Maybin.

Maybin really was never a good prospect. At best he was "raw with potential". He really needed at least one more year of college. Good kid put in a horrible situation way too early.

We were also on our "character" kick back then. Probably the main reason for this pick...but it was a horrible pick then, as it is now.

I don't mean to sound arrogant, or over-confident, or overly intelligent here, but I've been following the Bills for more than 20 years, and have been following the draft rather closely for about 10 years. My memory isn't the greatest, but I recall the last five drafts, further back I recall first round selections pretty well, and I am left wondering, who are the Bills paying to make decisions on these draft picks!

I - and just about everyone - saw Orakpo as the pick, and then it ended up being Maybin. Sure, I have overly valued some players coming out of college, but I saw Kaepernick and Wilson as good QB's worth taking a shot on. I actually compared Kaepernick to Newton (similar in size, Kaepernick was faster, fitter, and had more experience). I just think there have been people in Buffalo getting paid a lot and have turned out information that could have been bested by a 10 year old picking up the last verson of a draft guide and just picking BPA.

I've said it before - Nix really has to nail this draft or he's going to have wasted his time here. It's that simple; if he pulls out a QB and manages to fill most of our big holes this year, we're probably looking to end the season on the cusp of a playoff birth, and he'll be considered a wise, patient GM who methodically turned a bad team around. If he goes bonehead and leaves us all scratching our heads, he'll be remembered as the scout who was in way over his head.

I don't mean to sound arrogant, or over-confident, or overly intelligent here, but I've been following the Bills for more than 20 years, and have been following the draft rather closely for about 10 years. My memory isn't the greatest, but I recall the last five drafts, further back I recall first round selections pretty well, and I am left wondering, who are the Bills paying to make decisions on these draft picks!

I - and just about everyone - saw Orakpo as the pick, and then it ended up being Maybin. Sure, I have overly valued some players coming out of college, but I saw Kaepernick and Wilson as good QB's worth taking a shot on. I actually compared Kaepernick to Newton (similar in size, Kaepernick was faster, fitter, and had more experience). I just think there have been people in Buffalo getting paid a lot and have turned out information that could have been bested by a 10 year old picking up the last verson of a draft guide and just picking BPA.

I've said it before - Nix really has to nail this draft or he's going to have wasted his time here. It's that simple; if he pulls out a QB and manages to fill most of our big holes this year, we're probably looking to end the season on the cusp of a playoff birth, and he'll be considered a wise, patient GM who methodically turned a bad team around. If he goes bonehead and leaves us all scratching our heads, he'll be remembered as the scout who was in way over his head.

I love following the draft, too. As with all who follow the draft fanatically, I had had favorite players in the draft who turned out to be good - and others that I was shocked at how little they did in the NFL. My perspective is that it is not just the Bills' scouts who passed on Kaepernick and Wilson - and these guys really are outliers as most 2nd round QBs really don't turn out to be good starters. It wasn't like no other teams had a need for a QB.

I agree that they missed great opportunities with Kaepernick and Wilson.

So, who is that QB this year?

The "good" news is that there were Bills scouts who were absolutely in love with Keapernick and Wilson. The "bad" news is that the idiot in charge of the Bills' draft selections didn't listen to his scouts. It's also quite concerning that the same scouting department seems unable to identify quality players after round 3 (but, oddly enough, seems to find quality UDFAs).

Frankly I don't know what to think anymore.

So in hindsight: We could've drafted Cushing, Matthews, byrd and Kruger...Wow

Yep, as could a lot of other teams who ended up picking guys who haven't done so well.

I didn't like the Maybin pick but it was definitely slim pickings that year in retrospect.

I agree that they missed great opportunities with Kaepernick and Wilson.

So, who is that QB this year?

EJ

Have a look at the top 10 selections in the 2009 draft and tell me that the Bills were the only "stupid" team when they picked Aron Maybin.

http://www.nationalf...pened-here.html

Knowshown Moreno, Larry English and Robert Ayers were also picked shortly after Maybin.

My point is that some drafts are weak, some are strong and overall the "hit rate even among first rounders isn't as high as many think.

Yeah all drafts are not created equal. With that being said the Maybin pick was horrible. Orakpo should of been the pick. I knew it, 80% of this board knew it, hell even my dog knew it. Maybin was a one year wonder who would of never even saw the field that year except some special teams play if it wasn't for some unusual circumstances that happened @ State College in the offseason. Even then he only had 2 or 3 good games that year against the weaker competition on the schedule. My friend who went to PSU & follows the team religiously called me right after the pick & said this guy is going to be the biggest draft day bust by the Bills since Big Mike Williams & he was right. I still can't believe the bills were dumb enough to pick him. Actually I can believe it & that is the sad thing.

Pretty sad isn't it when some of the guys on this board know more about kids coming out of college then the Bills brass. I also loved Kapernick(my uncle lives in Reno) & Wilson going into the drafts. When the Bills traded up in the 3rd round I looked at my son & said sweet, where getting Wilson. Sure enough TJ Graham was the pick.