The one position we should not take at 8

The talent level between the first round guards and the 3rd round or later, is less than the majority of the other positions. Guard is not a huge impact position, I'd rather take the TE from ND, he'll impact the game more. The guards are just safe picks, no more or less.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The talent level between the first round guards and the 3rd round or later, is less than the majority of the other positions. Guard is not a huge impact position, I'd rather take the TE from ND, he'll impact the game more. The guards are just safe picks, no more or less.

as far as guards go, just grab a late round tackle with more nasty than measurable talent and kick him inside.

The guards are just safe picks, no more or less.

I love safe picks. Give me a safe pick over a Maybin, or a McCargo, or a Losman, or a Flowers, or a Smith, or a Williams, or a Burroughs, or a Harman, or a Bell, or a Tuttle, or a Moore, or a Cousineau, or a Doaks, or a Ruud, or a Gant, or a Patulski, or a Cowlings.

We are in dire need of playmakers on both sides of the ball which is why I think we should not draft an offensive lineman at 8.....

That is why I say I think the best way to go at 8 is LB,S,CB,WR or TE.....

WTF?!?!? :o

The only non-ST positions you haven't accounted for are DL, RB & QB.......and QB by far is our greatest need and by far the most important position on a team......and a "playmaker" position.

Is this a well orchestrated troll thread?

My brain hurts. :cry:

It's simple. You pay the people who perform and are difference makers. All else are expendable and replaceable. Doesn't matter the position, doesn't matter if you're already stacked at that position, you pay the difference makers and find ways to get them on the field. The 49ers did it with Navarro Bowman, paying a second MLB huge dollars, even though they were already giving large amounts of money to Willis at the same position, and they find ways to get both of them on the field. The salary cap is not increasing very much, if at all, yet the amount that the best players are paid keeps increasing. It's got to the point where if you have $10 million to spend on two positions, you take a guy worth $9 million/year, and one worth $1 million/year, not two guys each worth $5 million.

In summary, it DOES NOT MATTER what position we pick, as long as we pick a genuine game-changer, and pay them to stay around when their contract comes up. Levitre was good, but he simply wasn't a game-changer, and so he's gone. If the Bills want to compete in this league, they have to stop filling every hole with someone worth a few million a year, and find those incredible players that are worth the $10 million or so a year, pay them, keep them around as the core of the team, and fill in around them with young, cheap talent or cheap replaceable parts. It's how you win in this league.

WTF?!?!? :o

The only non-ST positions you haven't accounted for are DL, RB & QB.......and QB by far is our greatest need and by far the most important position on a team......and a "playmaker" position.

Is this a well orchestrated troll thread?

My brain hurts. :cry:

QB is our biggest need ur right. However we are not taking one at 8. Think about stuff before u start bashing

QB is our biggest need ur right. However we are not taking one at 8. Think about stuff before u start bashing

Who said we are not taking one at 8? I think we are quite likely taking one at 8.......why are we definitely and (apparently to you) obviously not taking one at 8?

You stated the one position we should not take.....and that was OL.

You've just acknowledged that our biggest need is QB......yet you didn't mention it in your OP. If you believed we shouldn't take QB at #8(as well as not taking OL)......your thread should have been titled "The 2 positions we should not take at 8".

There was a great deal of logic lacking in your OP......so much so that I legitimately thought it could be a clever trolling thread(still might be).

Re-read your OP.

It says "no to OL".....

.....so pick LB,S,CB,WR or TE.....

....which is every other position apart from our two strongest areas(DL & RB)......and apart from the area we are in the most need which also happens to be the most important position on the team(QB).

It made no sense......sorry if I offended by accusing you of trolling(if you aren't one).

Edited by Dibs

Justin Hunter may cause an outburst of fan reaction around these parts. I think he could go at #8. He just ran a 4.36 and has drawn some Randy Moss comparisons. In a passing league, how have we not drafted a WR in Round 1 since Lee Evans? The Ravens only have one first round O-lineman in their lineup that they drafted, and things are going pretty smoothly for them. I like Justin Hunter or Kiki Mingo. Difference makers. We need multiple WR's in this draft. Badly. Our depth chart looks like an Arena League team after Stevie.

Edited by BoozeCruise

I think all of the positions you listed are just as likely to be allowed to walk as a guard is.

The players who you KEEP when they pan out are QB's, DE's(or in a 3-4 a premier pass rusher like DeMarcus Ware) and LT's.

Those are the blue chips of NFL position players.

CB's and WR's are the other two premium positions, but they remain perimeter players and "outside-in" is still not how you build a team.

The Bills have a LT in Cordy Glenn. They badly need an edge rusher from the RDE.......but by far their biggest need is QB.

The draft shouldn't be about filling needs.....it should be about getting the best value to your franchise......these are your long term investments.

But when that need is QB......using that top pick on a QB fills both need and best value to your franchise......because a QB is really the only individual player who can have a significant impact on the future of an organization.

So you guys can talk all you want about getting the next Marcel Dareus or Stephon Gilmore but if you don't have a quarterback you don't even really know what else you need.

I agree with 95% of what you've written. If there's a QB that you think can be The Guy, you take him. You don't worry about whether there's some non-QB with a slightly higher grade, or if there's a gaping hole at LG or LB or wherever. Get the QB while the getting is good, and worry about the other stuff later in the draft, or in free agency. If after the dust settles you still have a hole or two, you can deal with the holes next year. If the QB turns out to be The Guy, you'll have a good ten year window with which to surround him with the high quality supporting cast necessary to achieve a Super Bowl win. If you don't get The Guy, there will be no window and no Super Bowl win.

But if there isn't a QB with The Guy potential available at 8th overall, then you start looking to fill other premium positions. That explicitly rules out taking an interior OL, non-pass-rushing LB, or RB. It also should rule out taking any kind of safety, unless the safety is truly an elite coverage talent--the kind of guy who can more or less shut down Gronkowski in one-on-one coverage. But it would be exceedingly rare for it to make sense to take a safety that early; and when in doubt it's best to err on the side of not taking the safety so early. The absolute last thing this team needs is another Whitner! :angry:

Regardless of who the Bills select with the 8th overall pick, the plan has to be to hold onto him if he meets or exceeds expectations. Traditionally, the Bills have allowed their DBs with the best combination of youth + proven accomplishment to go first contract and out. Unless they change that pattern, every first round pick used on a DB will be at least partially wasted; even if the player himself has an outstanding career. Antoine Winfield, for example, would have been a great use of a first round pick, if the Bills had held onto him throughout his career. As it was, the Bills got only a few years out of him before he waved goodbye.

It's been a few years since I watched any college ball. But based on the reports I've read, Barkley is the QB most likely to meet the Bills' needs.

Who said we are not taking one at 8? I think we are quite likely taking one at 8.......why are we definitely and (apparently to you) obviously not taking one at 8?

You stated the one position we should not take.....and that was OL.

You've just acknowledged that our biggest need is QB......yet you didn't mention it in your OP. If you believed we shouldn't take QB at #8(as well as not taking OL)......your thread should have been titled "The 2 positions we should not take at 8".

There was a great deal of logic lacking in your OP......so much so that I legitimately thought it could be a clever trolling thread(still might be).

Re-read your OP.

It says "no to OL".....

.....so pick LB,S,CB,WR or TE.....

....which is every other position apart from our two strongest areas(DL & RB)......and apart from the area we are in the most need which also happens to be the most important position on the team(QB).

It made no sense......sorry if I offended by accusing you of trolling(if you aren't one).

I think it made a lot of sense. I understood it completely. Additionally; the reason Buffalo will not take a QB at 8 is that there are no QB's in this draft worth being selected that high. This in spite of the fact that QB may arguably be our position of greatest need. To put it another way; if you have a hunger for a ripe jucy apple, you don't go out and pick one from a bushel of rotten apples, unless of course, you enjoy being sick. Sick is exactly what many Bills fans we become if we pick one of those bozos at 8.

One disclaimer; I am not a physician.

We are in dire need of playmakers on both sides of the ball which is why I think we should not draft an offensive lineman at 8. I know we lost Levitre but the whole oline the last couple years has been good and the rest of that oline is still in tact. I do think that Chance Warmack is a great player but there is no point in taking a player at 8 that we are going to let walk in 4 or 5 years anyways because we don't want to pay him just like we did with Levitre.

That is why I say I think the best way to go at 8 is LB,S,CB,WR or TE. As I stated before,we are in dire need of playmakers on both sides of the ball and these positions are the ones that are going to be the playmakers on the field. I personally think we should go either with Ogletree, Vacarro or possibly Dee Milliner at 8 if he is there.

Bottom line an olineman especially a Guard, is only gonna be a 5 year player before we let them walk. We need a player at a skill level position that is going to be a 10-15 year player which is why we will need to get one of those other positions at 8

Not sure why you blur Guards and OLT's together?

One of the 3 stud OLT's would be a huge upgrade - sliding Glenn over to replace Pears ORT who is nothing special.

Many successful teams start their offense building around a top OLT - even while they are still waiting to find the right QB.

Taking a Guard would be a public relations disaster - even a stud like Warmack - given that they just let Levitre go, but a top left tackle is an entirely different animal.

the only position i would rule out at 8 is anything that is not a qb. go get your damn ball thrower guy!

So you should be thrilled with the current QB situation, after all we currently have the 2007 draft's top QB (Kolb) on the roster, and we could probably get 2007's 2nd best QB (Trent Edwards) back on the team if we need to.

SOME YEARS THERE ISN'T A QB WORTH TAKING HIGH. It doesn't matter how much you want there to be one. Go ahead though, want a little harder and see if it helps.

Edited by BobChalmers

I'm part of the public, huckelberry, and I'd like it.

I would say that would make you an exception then, and your personal take on the pick has no bearing on my statement about how the fan base as a whole would react.

(Well, OK, it's worth at least 1/(total number of Bills fans) of the answer :flirt: )

Taking another expensive guard right after you decided your good young veteran wasn't worth the money would be statement of "spinning wheels".

In other words, the only way losing Levitre makes sense is that your football "analytics" says the OG position is not where to put your cap money - no way that is compatible with taking a guard at #8 - even as top flight a prospect as Warmack is.

I think it made a lot of sense. I understood it completely....

Really?

Did you use telepathetic powers to understand why the OP would list virtually every position as "the best way to go" yet failed to mention any thoughts about the QB position(which he later acknowledged was our greatest need)......or some sort of special logic that I'm unaware of?

What makes you think we will pay anyone we draft at 8 in 4-5 years? This team lets more talent walk than a strip joint.

USED TO let talent walk.

Levitre is the only player in the last few years where I felt we lost out. Johnson, Freddy, Byrd, Mckelvin, Kyle Williams have all been retained since Buddy arrived. Gone are the days we let our first round picks go for nothing

Really?

Did you use telepathetic powers to understand why the OP would list virtually every position as "the best way to go" yet failed to mention any thoughts about the QB position(which he later acknowledged was our greatest need)......or some sort of special logic that I'm unaware of?

He is just simply saying that he understands the reason why i didnt list quarterback....because we arent taking one at 8. Although its our biggest need like we have agreed on its just not going to happen. The post is about our number 8 pick not for our entire draft. If i legitimately believed we would be taking a quarterback at 8 it definitely would have been listed.