New York State Bulls?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference that you're failing to understand is that there are a lot of people who don't follow college football because they don't have a team. Alot of them didn't go to college. I'm more likely to root for UB than Syracuse, because UB is a public school, my money supports it, and I'm therefore a part of it. Syracuse is private. I don't care that I live much closer to Syracuse than Buffalo. Renaming it NYSU would make it clear that this is EVERYONE's school.

Public or private doesn't matter IMHO.

New York is a decent size state. Putting the NYS college team in the far west Buffalo or the far east Long Island is just a bad idea. If there are central locations such as Binghamton or Albany it should be either of these two. If Albany and/or Binghamton aren't D1 then they should be.

SU already has a big following in Rochester. In other college football threads I've inquired as to how popular SU sports is in Buffalo and the Buffalo natives (I think PTR may have chimed in) have said that SU sports isn't that popular in Buffalo.

go over to that board and ask them if they would like it moved. when you get a reply, come let us know the verdict.

Yeah, I know that the CFF is mostly dead. That being said, this really doesn't have anything to do with Bills/NFL football.

Yes, I think we all understand this. But several are pointing out the confusion some may have with NYU and NYSU--FomerlyUB.

And exactluy who is going to be impacted by the name change? Who is the target for this type of...advertising?

Stony Brook has been a research university for a fraction of the time UB has been around, yet it has already grown to nearly the same size, it is more selective (far more applicants and lower acceptance rate: and a higher percentage of top 10%'ers enrolled) and will likely ecclipse UB in research funding in the next 10 years. As far as I know, Stony Brook isn't looking to "rebrand" itself a gimmick in order to generate interest in it. It is growing exponentially. And the academics don't "suck" there.

UB changing its name to "NYSU" will not get it any new "statewide" fans. Having your team in postseason play will get more applicants (Stony Brook in the men's NIT).

You are correct about Stonybrook. Incidentally, they've achieved a good bit more in sports than UB has, with the Seawolves making the college world series last year.

Edited by dave mcbride