Now tell me again about how all religion is bad.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not the religion in people thats the problem, its the people in religion

iow, the core of the religions themselves is fine and generally good. and when they adhere to the essential elements they usually improve both as individuals and the society around them

unfortunately, petty human weakness often causes a severe degredation in how the original precipts are interpreted and put into everyday action, thats usually where it goes terribly wrong

its not the religion in people thats the problem, its the people in religion

iow, the core of the religions themselves is fine and generally good. and when they adhere to the essential elements they usually improve both as individuals and the society around them

unfortunately, petty human weakness often causes a severe degredation in how the original precipts are interpreted and put into everyday action, thats usually where it goes terribly wrong

I don't know, have you actually read any religious books? They're usually pretty messed up

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

an interesting take on the subject : http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-bonobo-and-the-atheist-frans-de-waal/1111076983

the author is a nonbeliever but concludes that religion is very important to society and peaceful, cooperative human behavior. i'm a believer yet i'm in total agreement with his conclusion.

Edited by birdog1960

Maybe they were translated from Farsi and hard to understand.

Now you've gone and done it. From your comments I assume you are referring to the Koran. Do you know what happens to people who denigrate the Koran?

__________________________________________________________________________(fill in the blank---hint---what goes bump, bump, bump in the middle of the night?)

What "religious" books have you read and can you be specific about why they are messed up?

JTSP only knows two modes: say something stupid and never back it up, and Barack Obama is a failed president because in spite of twice electing a black man president, the country secretly hates having a black man as president.

That's all you need to know about him before you realize he's incapable of original thought.

JTSP only knows two modes: say something stupid and never back it up, and Barack Obama is a failed president because in spite of twice electing a black man president, the country secretly hates having a black man as president.

That's all you need to know about him before you realize he's incapable of original thought.

You don't understand. If JTSP gets called out on something he goes into hide mode and disappears for awhile. Well worth the effort to call him out.

The American Humanist Society currently holds a 4-star (65.22 out of 70) rating on Charity Watch:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=11651

I want some of the hate sprouting religious people on here to mock this.

I'll refrain from linking to some less-than-stellar faith-based charities listed there because there are good ones too.

Your religious beliefs (or lack thereof) do not make you any more good, evil, caring, apathetic, generous or stingy.

The American Humanist Society currently holds a 4-star (65.22 out of 70) rating on Charity Watch:

http://www.charityna...ary&orgid=11651

I'll refrain from linking to some less-than-stellar faith-based charities listed there because there are good ones too.

Your religious beliefs (or lack thereof) do not make you any more good, evil, caring, apathetic, generous or stingy.

Your anti-religious beliefs, however, certainly make you much more smug.

Let it go, dumbass. People believe what they want to believe. You're the only !@#$ here being evangelical about it.

http://www.charityna...ary&orgid=11651

They don't make people less so either.

American Humanist Association

Advocating progressive values and equality for humanists, atheists, and freethinkers

lolololololol Geno. Do they allow the "freethinkers" to have religious values, conservative values or beliefsin the big man or do they pull funding if their "free thinking" leads them in the wrong direction?