Dinner with Al Gore

The Washington Post's Bob Woodward has described a dinner he had with former Vice President Al Gore was both "taxing" and "unpleasant."

Speaking to a crowd at Ohio's Youngstown State University on Thursday, Woodward said he was sitting next to Gore at a dinner when the former vice president asked him why he hadn't been harder on President George W. Bush over the Iraq War, according to a report in the Youngstown Vindicator

Woodward said that Gore, who had been a journalist in his younger days, “thinks he invented [reporting], also" -- a reference to the popular joke that Gore once claimed to have invented the Internet.

Dinner with Gore was “taxing,” Woodward said. “To be really honest, it’s unpleasant.”

Zing!!

:lol:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Speaking to a crowd at Ohio's Youngstown State University on Thursday, Woodward said he was sitting next to Gore at a dinner when the former vice president asked him why he hadn't been harder on President George W. Bush over the Iraq War, according to a report in the Youngstown Vindicator"

Man....people that blind should have a guide dog.

Al Gore (the Senator's son and DC insider) is a poor dinner companion..............An Inconvenient Truth.

Edited by B-Man

"Speaking to a crowd at Ohio's Youngstown State University on Thursday, Woodward said he was sitting next to Gore at a dinner when the former vice president asked him why he hadn't been harder on President George W. Bush over the Iraq War, according to a report in the Youngstown Vindicator"

'Cause he reports, he doesn't editorialize.

Really? Gore complaining about reporters not being biased enough? What a !@#$tard.

Bob Woodward is a great reporter not many reporters could start from here

From Gene Sperling to Bob Woodward on Feb. 22, 2013

Bob:

I apologize for raising my voice in our conversation today. My bad. I do understand your problems with a couple of our statements in the fall — but feel on the other hand that you focus on a few specific trees that gives a very wrong perception of the forest. But perhaps we will just not see eye to eye here.

But I do truly believe you should rethink your comment about saying saying that Potus asking for revenues is moving the goal post. I know you may not believe this, but as a friend, I think you will regret staking out that claim. The idea that the sequester was to force both sides to go back to try at a big or grand barain with a mix of entitlements and revenues (even if there were serious disagreements on composition) was part of the DNA of the thing from the start. It was an accepted part of the understanding — from the start. Really. It was assumed by the Rs on the Supercommittee that came right after: it was assumed in the November-December 2012 negotiations. There may have been big disagreements over rates and ratios — but that it was supposed to be replaced by entitlements and revenues of some form is not controversial. (Indeed, the discretionary savings amount from the Boehner-Obama negotiations were locked in in BCA: the sequester was just designed to force all back to table on entitlements and revenues.)

I agree there are more than one side to our first disagreement, but again think this latter issue is diffferent. Not out to argue and argue on this latter point. Just my sincere advice. Your call obviously.

My apologies again for raising my voice on the call with you. Feel bad about that and truly apologize.

Gene

From Woodward to Sperling on Feb. 23, 2013

Gene: You do not ever have to apologize to me. You get wound up because you are making your points and you believe them. This is all part of a serious discussion. I for one welcome a little heat; there should more given the importance. I also welcome your personal advice. I am listening. I know you lived all this. My partial advantage is that I talked extensively with all involved. I am traveling and will try to reach you after 3 pm today. Best, Bob

and get to here

Bob Woodward said this evening on CNN that a "very senior person" at the White House warned him in an email that he would "regret doing this," the same day he has continued to slam President Barack Obama over the looming forced cuts known as the sequester.

CNN host Wolf Blitzer said that the network invited a White House official to debate Woodward on-air, but the White House declined.

"It makes me very uncomfortable to have the White House telling reporters, 'You're going to regret doing something that you believe in,'" Woodward said.

"I think they're confused," Woodward said of the White House's pushback on his reporting.

The White House aide who Woodward said threatened him was Gene Sperling, the director of the White House Economic Council, BuzzFeed's Ben Smith reported.

Earlier today on MSNBC's "Morning Joe," Woodward ripped into Obama in what has become an ongoing feud between the veteran Washington Post journalist and the White House. Woodward said Obama was showing a "kind of madness I haven't seen in a long time" for a decision not to deploy an aircraft carrier to the Persian Gulf because of budget concerns.

Or is it: Bob Woodward is just an average reporter? However, due to the overwhelming idiocy/shameless d-baggery of the people he covers, he keeps getting handed these "big stories", which makes him look a lot better than he is?

And, it's happened so many times now, that Bob Woodward can get away with what ...lybob posted.

The fact is that Al Gore was behaving badly. This should come as no surprise, since the man hasn't been reasonable since 2000.

The fact is that the Obama Administration was behaving badly. This is now proven, as they are running an "all in" campaign to walk back everything their own cabinet secretaries have said about the sequester.

I wonder: how are those cabinet secretaries feeling about being told to run a dog and pony show for a week, only to find out that 3 weeks later, Jay Carney is all making them look like fools who don't even know how their own department's budget works?

This administration is rapidly self-destructing, and I wouldn't be surprise to see some secretaries choose "to spend more time with their families" over the next 3 months.....

...but hey, "let's talk about guns!". :rolleyes:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

honestly ive never liked al gore. he is incredibly annoying

yet i still voted for him over george jr who i saw as incredibibly stupid for a presidential candidate and was a documented failure for everything he touched - and that was BEFORE the worst presidential term in history

despite my distaste for al, he probably would have been a pretty decent president. he is quite smart and had a very good resume for the job. once people actually get that job they tend to grow into the big chair as the weight of the world sort of forces them to mature (and age) very fast. i think al would have been one to evolve quickly and do reasonably well. he may be annoying but he was qualified as hell. and of course if not for a literal handful of florida votes he would have prevented the dummy king from making history in a very bad way

for the record, i voted for george senior and would again if i could. i thought he was pretty good and deserved a second term. too bad his son was such a total incompetent fk up, and even more too bad the electorate couldnt see that - TWICE

Edited by Meathead

honestly ive never liked al gore. he is incredibly annoying

yet i still voted for him over george jr who i saw as incredibibly stupid for a presidential candidate and was a documented failure for everything he touched - and that was BEFORE the worst presidential term in history

despite my distaste for al, he probably would have been a pretty decent president. he is quite smart and had a very good resume for the job. once people actually get that job they tend to grow into the big chair as the weight of the world sort of forces them to mature (and age) very fast. i think al would have been one to evolve quickly and do reasonably well. he may be annoying but he was qualified as hell. and of course if not for a literal handful of florida votes he would have prevented the dummy king from making history in a very bad way

for the record, i voted for george senior and would again if i could. i thought he was pretty good and deserved a second term. too bad his son was such a total incompetent fk up, and even more too bad the electorate couldnt see that - TWICE

For the record: Al Gore would have completely F'ed up 9/11. So when the intelligence came in about Iraq, yea, we wouldn't have gone, because we'd already be so screwed in Afghanistan.

How so you ask? Imagine trying to herd around the armies of our our 56 UN allies :lol::rolleyes:, who sent 4 - 400 troops each. But, this wouldn't be until 2003, as it would have taken Al that long to get UN agreement.

Of course, AL wouldn't want to send a real combined arms task force of Americans for fear of hurting eveybody's feelings.

And, of course, we would have withdrawn after a year, right in time for re-election attempt in 2004, and because Al was in Viet Nam.

Dude: the fact is the GWB was dealt an even BIGGER raw deal than Obama, cleaning up Clinton's recession and 9/11, at the same time. He wasn't anywhere near the idiot he is made out to be. Had he not gone into Iraq, Obama wouldn't be in the WH today. It's as simple as that.

Dude: the fact is the GWB was dealt an even BIGGER raw deal than Obama, cleaning up Clinton's recession and 9/11, at the same time. He wasn't anywhere near the idiot he is made out to be. Had he not gone into Iraq, Obama wouldn't be in the WH today. It's as simple as that.

If you take out the whole Iraq imbroglio, Bush's foreign policy was reasonably strong.

Of course, that's like saying "if you don't consider all of Spiller's long runs, he only averages 2 yards a carry, so he sucks."

lol yeah if you consider 1950's style nationalistic braggadocio reasonably strong

he gets credit for brokering a partnership with pakistan and for penning a couple nuclear treaties in russia but other than that junior had disasterous foreign policy

If you take out the whole Iraq imbroglio, Bush's foreign policy was reasonably strong.

Of course, that's like saying "if you don't consider all of Spiller's long runs, he only averages 2 yards a carry, so he sucks."

I understand what you're saying, but Bush will be remembered by the fair media as a good president. The people that attack him over Iraq are the same people who supported Hillary and and a host of other people that are left of center for agreeing with Bush. My problem with Bush is that he didn't use the "bully pulpit" enough. He quietly tried to reign in Freddie and Fannie 21 f'n times but didn't bother to take it to the American public. He allowed our economy to be determined by the likes of Barney & Dodd.

I think maybe if Obama and ":W" had mated, we might have had the perfect president. Bush could set the agenda and insure the ethics of it and Barry could read the teleprompter and make Bush's words palatable to George Soros.

lol yeah if you consider 1950's style nationalistic braggadocio reasonably strong

he gets credit for brokering a partnership with pakistan and for penning a couple nuclear treaties in russia but other than that junior had disasterous foreign policy

That's just idiotically shallow.