Dinner with Al Gore

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's not compromising his principle it's making a sacrifice for a principle.

Principle? Wrong. You mean value.

Other people may have made a different decision, for many reasons i.e. "I will not go to Viet Nam no matter what, because going would mean I approve" or, "I will go, becaue I have the ability, so I have the duty to go, and I would go regardless of the effect on daddy's campaign".

Or how about Gores' REAL REASON for going: "I want to be President some day, because that's what my daddy has been telling me since I was born. So, the best thing for me to do is get some combat service in, because then I can be a Democrat, but nobody can call me a kitty".

Different values, and all could be defended as reasonable. None being more or less moral than the next. Or...all depenedent on opinion.

Principle = The 10 COMMANDMENTS. No opinion allowed. Principles are higher than you, and whatever you think.

It is in fact immoral to cheapen principles, by treating them like values.

I suspect the only reason Woodward is bringing up the story is for one last headline to launch one more quick sale of his book before it goes to the back shelf.

That's a winning theory. I'm in the "who gives a sh*t about Al Gore" club.

I have read and enjoyed some of Woodward's books. He gets some great access, although these days he's not breaking stories as much as recounting interviews..

Edited by John Adams