Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

I disagree. Marrone is a person from Syracuse that Brandon is involved with. He hired him and his OC, and who knows who else he will bring in from this not so great program?

Look at the number of posts in the Barkley thread and compare the numbers in the Nassib thread. Regional faves can sell tickets.

I think that TG's article makes sense.

I'm sorry, but I still think you're reaching with this argument. The number of posts in the Nassib thread is a function of the amount of speculation that the Bills will take him, which is all based upon the Marrone/Hackett connection.

Once again I tell you: winning sells tickets, and everyone, literally everyone, realizes it. The Bills' problem is not that they don't want to win, it's that, historically, they haven't gone about it the right way.

The Bills, historically, don't have a ticket-selling problem, either. I'll bet you if you were to analyze the wins/tickets sold ratio, the Bills would do pretty damn well.

So, to say they need to take a quarterback, HC and OC just so they can sell tickets, when the Syracuse market isn't exactly a Bills market and visa versa, seems like a tremendous leap.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting tidbit from Chris Brown:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/04/24/remembering-draft-room-hierarchy/

Knowing Nix and his scouting staff determine the grading of prospects on the board is important. It likely means that no matter how much the Bills offensive staff may like Ryan Nassib as a quarterback prospect it’s the grade given to him by the scouting department that will ultimately determine when and where he’ll be a consideration in the draft

I disagree. Marrone is a person from Syracuse that Brandon is involved with. He hired him and his OC, and who knows who else he will bring in from this not so great program?

Look at the number of posts in the Barkley thread and compare the numbers in the Nassib thread. Regional faves can sell tickets.

I think that TG's article makes sense.

I have no ties to Syracuse, don't give a damn about the football team, and I personally am hoping for Nassib because I think he's the best QB prospect in this year's draft. Of course, I'm speaking anecdotally but I just have a hard time believing that the Syracuse connection will impact sales.

Simply put, I don't but it.

I don't think Nassib would sell a significant amount of tickets, especially when that matters by December.

However, it's undeniable that Nassib would draw a more positive reaction because he went to Syracuse and grew up in PA and Barkley is from California. It's frustrating being around these people.

You said Syracuse guys. Crossman is not a Syracuse guy. He's also been a good ST coach in the NFL. He may not be your first choice but he's HIGHLY qualified and has had some excellent results. It would be unusual and disconcerting if he hired all kinds of guys he didn't know.

What are you talking about? Please quote me where I said anything about Syracuse. Don't put words in my mouth to make your point. And Detroit was terrible at special teams, the guy was probably going to get fired if he didn't leave on his own. A lot of people were calling for him to be fired last year. Marrone was throwing a bone to his buddy. It is what it is, I know other coaches do it too. I'm just stating the obvious. Anyone paying attention can see that Marrone is going out of his way to help his buddies rather than get the best person available. It is pretty clear he is going to do the same with Nassib. There's no way a project QB should be the first pick of any team let alone one with so many pressing needs. Unless they expect Nassib to come in here next year and make us instantly better then there's no way we should consider him with our first pick...unless of course the coach is once again just looking out for one of his own

What are you talking about? Please quote me where I said anything about Syracuse. Don't put words in my mouth to make your point. And Detroit was terrible at special teams, the guy was probably going to get fired if he didn't leave on his own. A lot of people were calling for him to be fired last year. Marrone was throwing a bone to his buddy. It is what it is, I know other coaches do it too. I'm just stating the obvious. Anyone paying attention can see that Marrone is going out of his way to help his buddies rather than get the best person available. It is pretty clear he is going to do the same with Nassib. There's no way a project QB should be the first pick of any team let alone one with so many pressing needs. Unless they expect Nassib to come in here next year and make us instantly better then there's no way we should consider him with our first pick...unless of course the coach is once again just looking out for one of his own

My bad. I apologize. I thought when you said buddies you meant the guys he coached with before from Syracuse. I apologize.

Still, Marrone knew Crossman from 20 years ago when they played one season in the World League together and coached one season at the Coast Guard Academy. That hardly reeks of what is (inaccurately) called nepotism in this league.

Name me all the great ST coaches out there he should have hired, and please do not say he should have kept DeHaven, who was terrible in the last couple years.

So you truly believe that a guy is going to risk his professional career, the one chance he may have at the top of his profession, because he wants to throw a bone to his buddy Ryan Nassib?

That's hysterical.

And I mean that in the most psychotic form of the word.

Here's a little pissing contest I got to share with him: (you gotta scroll up to read the exchange from the beginning) http://goo.gl/ikVlG

That's a perfect example of the snarkiness I've seen. Question any aspect of his writing, and you get the "this is too intellectual for you" retort -- followed by a block.

My bad. I apologize. I thought when you said buddies you meant the guys he coached with before from Syracuse. I apologize.

Still, Marrone knew Crossman from 20 years ago when they played one season in the World League together and coached one season at the Coast Guard Academy. That hardly reeks of what is (inaccurately) called nepotism in this league.

Name me all the great ST coaches out there he should have hired, and please do not say he should have kept DeHaven, who was terrible in the last couple years.

So you truly believe that a guy is going to risk his professional career, the one chance he may have at the top of his profession, because he wants to throw a bone to his buddy Ryan Nassib?

That's hysterical.

And I mean that in the most psychotic form of the word.

I really hope I'm not back in here at around 9pm tomorrow night saying I told you so. In my psychotic opinion, all signs point to Nassib being their guy. I really want to believe he is the guy they would have gone for without the influence of Marrone and Hacket but I haven't seen anything that makes me think wow Nassib is the best QB we can get. I think Marrone is being loyal to a fault

I really hope I'm not back in here at around 9pm tomorrow night saying I told you so. In my psychotic opinion, all signs point to Nassib being their guy. I really want to believe he is the guy they would have gone for without the influence of Marrone and Hacket but I haven't seen anything that makes me think wow Nassib is the best QB we can get. I think Marrone is being loyal to a fault

So please go on record and say who your prefered qb is. All of this Marrone/Nassib bashing will continue by some (not saying you) when quietly their pick will have bombed and be out of the league. Please go on record and state who will be the best qb out of this draft - the one the Bills should draft.

The Bills may indeed choose Nassib. I am actually hoping they do and I am not a big Nassib fan, and I hope they do because I believe the exact opposite of what you do. I think there is no way in hell they draft the kid because they are familiar with him.

Your "I told you so" would be ridiculous, because you wouldn't know at all what the reason was. I guarantee you they LOVE the kid as a franchise QB if they draft him at 8.

So please go on record and say who your prefered qb is. All of this Marrone/Nassib bashing will continue by some (not saying you) when quietly their pick will have bombed and be out of the league. Please go on record and state who will be the best qb out of this draft - the one the Bills should draft.

I don't like any of these guys at #8. All of them are projects. Even the 2nd round is reaching for a backup QB. But dumb choices by the front office for many years have put us in this situation and unfortunately there is nobody to get. So no, I can't commit to any of these guys because I think they are all equally mediocre. If they get Nassib at #8 it needs to be because this is the guy that is going to take our team to the playoffs and he better be the starter day 1 otherwise what's the point? We could have drafted someone else who could be an immediate starter that would make our team better (LB, WR, OL). You don't spend a top 10 pick on a backup and if they do I have to question their motives (Marrone/Hackett campaigning for their guy)

Do you actually believe a guy getting his "dream job" and first shot at an NFL head coaching gig will risk that position because he's "loyal" to the QB he coached in college? Come on, man, don't you see what a ridiculous statement that is?

The Bills may indeed choose Nassib. I am actually hoping they do and I am not a big Nassib fan, and I hope they do because I believe the exact opposite of what you do. I think there is no way in hell they draft the kid because they are familiar with him.

Your "I told you so" would be ridiculous, because you wouldn't know at all what the reason was. I guarantee you they LOVE the kid as a franchise QB if they draft him at 8.

this is exactly what i am counting on/hoping for. if the bills select nassib at 8 i believe it has absolutely zero to do with ticket sales of being familiar/comfortable with the offensive system being implemented. but rather, they have intimate knowledge of this kid's skillset and mental makeup. they know what he can do on the feild and know if he has the intangables required to be a leader of a team. if they pick him at 8, then i will feel comfortable that they have their guy, if they don't select him at 8, that should tell us a lot as well.

Edited by swnybillsfan

Do you actually believe a guy getting his "dream job" and first shot at an NFL head coaching gig will risk that position because he's "loyal" to the QB he coached in college? Come on, man, don't you see what a ridiculous statement that is?

Marrone has already gone on record saying he's going to bring in people that he knows and trusts and buy into his system. If they get Nassib I just don't believe they are doing so because he is the best guy. I think it has more to do with comfort and loyalty.

Ps, my fiancé is making me go to a bday dinner for her mom tomorrow night. Of all the nights FML! Need to DVR it, I can't believe it. I'll have to hold my pessimistic posts until late tomorrow night. Or maybe they will do the right thing and get a starter instead. We'll see. I want to believe in this new regime but I don't trust what's been happening so far and I certainly don't trust Buddy

Marrone has already gone on record saying he's going to bring in people that he knows and trusts and buy into his system. If they get Nassib I just don't believe they are doing so because he is the best guy. I think it has more to do with comfort and loyalty.

Ps, my fiancé is making me go to a bday dinner for her mom tomorrow night. Of all the nights FML! Need to DVR it, I can't believe it. I'll have to hold my pessimistic posts until late tomorrow night. Or maybe they will do the right thing and get a starter instead. We'll see. I want to believe in this new regime but I don't trust what's been happening so far and I certainly don't trust Buddy

He also said he wanted to smell their breath, to know they eat, sleep, and breathe football but you know twist the words to fit your argument as you please.

P.S. it is just the start - wait until she tries to get you to go to a bed bath and beyond sale on Sundays. :P

Remember, no matter what happens, it's important to react immediately, since tomorrow night will show us everything we need to know to determine whether or not the new regime will be successful.

Or maybe, just maybe, you can wait and see what happens on the field 5 months from now.

Remember, no matter what happens, it's important to react immediately, since tomorrow night will show us everything we need to know to determine whether or not the new regime will be successful.

Or maybe, just maybe, you can wait and see what happens on the field 5 months from now.

That should be the theme of TSW, posted at the top of each page.

What in the world? Why would that matter? Championships are won by grading draft classes immediately, by winning free agency, by spending the most money! Man are you even a fan? Everyone knows this! Sheesh!

That should be the theme of TSW, posted at the top of each page.

It already is or at least within the first few responses ;)

FWIW, STATS, Inc analytics has Geno and Manuel ahead of Nassib. Are the Bills believers in analytics?

Probably.

My guess would be that they commissioned an analytics study on how useful college statistics are in relation to predicting future NFL ability.