Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because this would demonstrate exactly what a small time third rate operation they are. Brandon comes out claiming absolute control of operations and promising big changes.

He hires a college coach (I do like the hire) from a local program who then comes in and reaches to draft a 2nd round QB who just so happened to be his college QB in the top 10. That would be it. I have been on the edge for awhile but if Marrone wants to turn OBD into Syracuse West, he's gonna be another failed hire.

So how do you reconcile that Nassib is the favorite QB coming out of Jaworski and Gruden as well as a couple of the top evaluators?

riddle me this, are these men's asses any less on the line if they pick barkley, smith, manuel, or any other qb? or any other player for that matter? and i'm with you, i'll back whoever they deem worthy of throwing into a red, white, and blue uniform.

that is correct, and a good point. I should have specified that I was still speaking personally on how much I'll allow myself to be invested.

When you're a slow, unathletic, average armed QB, I think it's fairly easy to predict whether or not that translates to the NFL. I can't think of one successful franchise QB in the last 15 years who didn't excel in at least one of those areas.

so you're saying you want to trade for mike vick?

Edited by swnybillsfan

When you're a slow, unathletic, average armed QB, I think it's fairly easy to predict whether or not that translates to the NFL. I can't think of one successful franchise QB in the last 15 years who didn't excel in at least one of those areas.

He's got a good, live arm and a very quick release and can throw on the run. Footspeed for a QB is one of the very least important qualities.

that is correct, and a good point. I should have specified that I was still speaking personally on how much I'll allow myself to be invested.

i've got no control over how much i will be invested, i'm in all the way 'til i die or they move. as far as the pick, it's just a matter of how much effort do i have to go through to convince myself they got the right guy.

He's got a good, live arm and a very quick release and can throw on the run. Footspeed for a QB is one of the very least important qualities.

NFL defenses will challenge Nassib to beat them deep. They will sit on the short stuff and make life difficult for Spiller with more men in the box. If Nassib was mobile and agile then I could see a path to being successful franchise QB. If he had a big arm that would challenge defenses then I could see a path to being successful franchise QB. I just don't see it.

If they go Nassib at 8, I will be off the BILL-iever wagon and on the "Prove it" train. Watched a bunch of his games and never thought he'd be mentioned as a 1st rounder. Just went back and watched about 4 games and wasnt impressed.

If they pick him, I'll back him, but he, Marrone, Nix/Whaley, and Brandon will all be putting their asses on the line.

Every year around this time a lot of fans get jacked over nothing. What matters is on the field. You're damn right the Bills gotta prove it, regardless if they select Nassib, Tuel, Scott or whoever.

No one called foul when Chip Kelly reunited with one of his own, Dennis Dixon. No one cried foul when Miami's head coach trusted his OC Mike McCarthy to provide the truth and then selected Tannehill.

Belichick had Testeverde in Cleavland and later brought him to NE. Parcells had C Martin in NE and brought him to the Jets. Parcells had Bledsoe in NE and brought him to Dallas. Rex Ryan brought a few Ravens with him to the Jets.

The point is that once a coach has confidence and trust in a player, they believe in them and they know what they are getting.

I also read quite a few posts that disparage Marrone because he was a a college coach... a college coach that played and coached in NFL as both a position coach and as a coordinator. Yet, Chip Kelly, a college head coach with zero playing or coaching experience in the NFL is not disparaged. Why should Kelly be respected as an NFL HC more than Marrone?

If the Bills select Nassib at #8, it's because they know a hell of a lot more than you, me, or the pundits. And if they don't select Nassib, they still know a lot more than you, me, or the pundits.

And yeah... they are putting their asses on the line. So what? Didn't the FO put their asses on the line when they selected Losman,McCargo, Whitner, McKelvin, Maybin & Spiller. What do you want them to do at #8... select Patterson, a one year wonder like Maybin vs. Nassib who has a 4 year body of work with his HC?

Edited by Dr. Trooth

Not real impressed with the USC game film, to be honest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhgDOOq3hDY

His mechanics (and flight of the ball he throws) seem more like a baseball pitcher than an NFL QB to me...

but...are they strikes? i've seen some of these short to intermediate strikes, and as long as they are put in a place where the reciever can get the ball in stride and keep on truckin' then i'm good with that. i like seeing that ball get there on a rope, less time for the dbs to react. now, if only he could put a bit of that mustard on the deep ball.

So how do you reconcile that Nassib is the favorite QB coming out of Jaworski and Gruden as well as a couple of the top evaluators?

I don't trust a word out of ESPN because I think a lot of their analysts get envelopes from agents to hype clients up. See: Kiper's Gabbert love. Who else likes him that much?

I don't trust a word out of ESPN because I think a lot of their analysts get envelopes from agents to hype clients up. See: Kiper's Gabbert love. Who else likes him that much?

Greg Cosell the top guy at nfl films who is one of the best thinks he's the top QB in the draft. Russ Lane of National Football Post and who did the Sports Illustrated draft list who is also highly respected has him the #1 overall player in the entire draft. I highly doubt Jaworski gets paid off.

If they go Nassib at 8, I will be off the BILL-iever wagon and on the "Prove it" train. Watched a bunch of his games and never thought he'd be mentioned as a 1st rounder. Just went back and watched about 4 games and wasnt impressed.

If they pick him, I'll back him, but he, Marrone, Nix/Whaley, and Brandon will all be putting their asses on the line.

I just did the same thing. Game film against a number of 2012 opponents, not highlight packages (Google is your friend)..

He has a fastball, but it's scattershot and not that receiver-friendly. And he makes a lot of one-read slant-type throws, rather than progressing through a route tree. If there wasn't the Marrone connection, I couldn't see Nassib anywhere on the Bills radar at #8...

I just did the same thing. Game film against a number of 2012 opponents, not highlight packages (Google is your friend)..

He has a fastball, but it's scattershot and not that receiver-friendly. And he makes a lot of one-read slant-type throws, rather than progressing through a route tree. If there wasn't the Marrone connection, I couldn't see Nassib anywhere on the Bills radar at #8...

That's what he is supposed to do though. I actually like the way he throws and guns the ball. He's pretty accurate for the most part.

That's what he is supposed to do though. I actually like the way he throws and guns the ball. He's pretty accurate for the most part.

I got the drift that that was all he was asked to do. Not too sure that that's adequate preparation for an NFL QB, especially if you're going to put him on the field early in his career.

If I'm going to take a guy at #8, I want him to be able to go off the primary target if the play's not there. And throw a receiver-friendly ball, rather than having just two speeds--throwing through a concrete wall and the deep fade.

In all the highlights I saw, the biggest positive impression I got was....of Alec Lemon....

I got the drift that that was all he was asked to do. Not too sure that that's adequate preparation for an NFL QB, especially if you're going to put him on the field early in his career.

If I'm going to take a guy at #8, I want him to be able to go off the primary target if the play's not there. And throw a receiver-friendly ball, rather than having just two speeds--throwing through a concrete wall and the deep fade.

In all the highlights I saw, the biggest positive impression I got was....of Alec Lemon....

I understand and agree to some degree. I'm warming up to him a little, the more I see and read and look into. I do have quite a few concerns though. Overall, the combination of being the most ready and having a fairly high ceiling, is pretty appealing. I think Manuel has the highest ceiling but he's a bigger risk.

Ultimately, if they take a guy at #8, I think they really love him more than being forced to reach for a QB, especially considering the Kolb signing. I wouldn't be too disappointed with Geno, Nassib or Manuel. I'm not necessarily predicting it, but I like the way Marrone thinks, at least at this point.

I understand and agree to some degree. I'm warming up to him a little, the more I see and read and look into. I do have quite a few concerns though. Overall, the I think Manuel has the highest ceiling but he's a bigger risk.

That's where I'm at, too. I think with Kolb onboard, they can afford to take a developmental guy like Manuel rather than a guy like Nassib or Barkley. I like the dreaded 'P-word' that Manuel has, as well as his flexibility to play a variety of styles.

On the other hand, I think the Bills are in a tough place with #8 since they've backed themselves into a corner by saying they're taking a QB high. I could see them taking Barkley since he's the most NFL-ready guy in this draft class, IMO, if they really are committed to going with a young guy now, rather than in a year or two.

[/size]

That's where I'm at, too. I think with Kolb onboard, they can afford to take a developmental guy like Manuel rather than a guy like Nassib or Barkley. I like the dreaded 'P-word' that Manuel has, as well as his flexibility to play a variety of styles.

On the other hand, I think the Bills are in a tough place with #8 since they've backed themselves into a corner by saying they're taking a QB high. I could see them taking Barkley since he's the most NFL-ready guy in this draft class, IMO, if they really are committed to going with a young guy now, rather than in a year or two.

Well I would strongly think they think that Nassib is the most NFL ready now because of his knowledge of the offense. We just don't know the extent of Marrone's affection for him, and we may not ever know unless they take him at 8. Marrone may really like him a lot, and the Bills may gamble on a trade up. But if they can't make it happen they may take someone else, and then they will publicly say he was our guy all along even if it is not really or even remotely true.

Well I would strongly think they think that Nassib is the most NFL ready now because of his knowledge of the offense.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I was a bit disappointed with Hackett's scheme. I was expecting a Kelly-era version of the K-Gun but it seemed to be just another Oregon State-like spread offense with WRs that flood the field.

The K-gun I remembered was pretty balanced (two outside receivers, a slot guy and the TE) and didn't rely on bunch formations or a lot of pick action like Hackett's scheme, which also emphasizes a lot more rhythm passing by Nassib than Kelly-style throws.

If anything, Jimbo Fisher's scheme for Manuel reminded me more of the old K-gun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC6E52F8rtA

Edited by Lurker