Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

I swear, people have some serious western new york blinders on with this Nassib kid. Basically, he's a slower version of Colt McCoy. We all know how he turned out.

I don't think so...Especially not the Colt McCoy thing...And I'm not a huge Nassib guy either...

But the truth is all of these kids have positives and negatives...Nassib shows control of an Offense...I think his arm is definitely good enough (much better than McCoy's)...He's an intangible guy...He's not going to blow any one away with his athletic ability, but that's not his game...

If the Bills settle for Nassib I'll be OK with it...Though I would prefer Geno or EJ Manuel...I don't see any reason why Nassib can't succeed in the NFL in a system built around his abilities...And I think he's a kid who will get better and better if you can keep his confidence growing... B-)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so...Especially not the Colt McCoy thing...And I'm not a huge Nassib guy either...

But the truth is all of these kids have positives and negatives...Nassib shows control of an Offense...I think his arm is definitely good enough (much better than McCoy's)...He's an intangible guy...He's not going to blow any one away with his athletic ability, but that's not his game...

If the Bills settle for Nassib I'll be OK with it...Though I would prefer Geno or EJ Manuel...I don't see any reason why Nassib can't succeed in the NFL in a system built around his abilities...And I think he's a kid who will get better and better if you can keep his confidence growing... B-)

Yeah he`s from the cuse.. so he `s shitz. He knows the O. Pity all QBs that come into the league and don`t know their new teams system. What a cop out.

Its very likely in my humble opinion Ryan Nassib will get picked 8th overall just to avoid another team from drafting him ahead of us, and the new regime will still be breathing a sigh of relief,

I know I will be,

Lets see who's closer to being correct...

:thumbsup:

Its very likely in my humble opinion Ryan Nassib will get picked 8th overall just to avoid another team from drafting him ahead of us, and the new regime will still be breathing a sigh of relief,

I know I will be,

Lets see who's closer to being correct...

Welcome to my nightmare. It would just be more of the Bills sticking with the "guys they know." I hope to God this does not happen.

When a coach prefers "his guys" as opposed to the best that are out there, you get things like:

Losing Rusty Jones

Mularkey alienating Eric Moulds

Yo-yo QB situations...

Bills history has plenty of that. No thanks. Bring in the best.

He didn`t look too good at TEMPLE or Pitt either. He did look Okay against power house StonyBrook.

Dude... you're not helping your case. You aren't even thinking rational. Here are some facts... a comparison of three QBs senior season, two of which are current NFL starters and one who is about to be

QB Competion % Passing Yds. Adj. avg/pass TD passes INT. Rating

Jake Locker 55.4 2265 6.6 17 9 124.2

Ryan Tannehill 61.6 3744 6.9 29 15 133.2

Ryan Nassib 62.4 3749 8.1 26 10 143.3

As you can see, Nassib blows them away... I'm not making this s#it up. Go look it up yourself if you have any doubts.

Locker was drafted # 8 by the Titans in 2011

Tannehill was draftet # 8 by the Dolphins in 2012

It remains to be seen whether or not the Bills will draft Nassib @ # 8 in 2013. But, anyone suggesting Nassib is not worth the #8 pick in this draft after looking at Locker's and Tannehill's numbers is not thinking reasonably. Folks have to get over this "Syracuse" connection crap. Yes, it exists, but, so what... it is what it is and his numbers are there and better than the two preceding #8 picks. Why would you exclude him because of the Syracuse connection? Why all the Ryan Nassib hate?

Edited by Dr. Trooth

Locker was drafted # 8 by the Titans in 2011

Tannehill was draftet # 8 by the Dolphins in 2012

It remains to be seen whether or not the Bills will draft Nassib @ # 8 in 2013. But, anyone suggesting Nassib is not worth the #8 pick in this draft after looking at Locker's and Tannehill's numbers is not thinking reasonably. Folks have to get over this "Syracuse" connection crap. Yes, it exists, but, so what... his numbers are there and better than the two preceding #8 picks. Why all the Ryan Nasib hate?

Glad to see stats are entering into this evaluation. Because Geno Smith's stats blow those out of the water.

"So what" is all we have on the nepotism charge? Tell me what happens when teammates begin to pick up on a can-do-no-wrong treatment for the favorite son? The consequences if Nassib comes to Buffalo and fails will be worse than for any other franchise that takes him.

I don't hate Nassib. And if the bills are going to draft him, I hope they do the kid a giant favor and don't saddle him with the expectations that will come from over drafting him at #8, and wait for him until the second round. If he isn't there, someone else like Manuel will be.

Glad to see stats are entering into this evaluation. Because Geno Smith's stats blow those out of the water.

"So what" is all we have on the nepotism charge? Tell me what happens when teammates begin to pick up on a can-do-no-wrong treatment for the favorite son? The consequences if Nassib comes to Buffalo and fails will be worse than for any other franchise that takes him.

I don't hate Nassib. And if the bills are going to draft him, I hope they do the kid a giant favor and don't saddle him with the expectations that will come from over drafting him at #8, and wait for him until the second round. If he isn't there, someone else like Manuel will be.

I agree. But that's not what I'm saying. Smith worked exclusively from the shotgun. He would not be a good fit in Buffalo with their offense. He'd have to learn 3, 5, 7 step drops... and the footwork to go with it play fakes, reads, etc. It's like taking a square peg and trying to fit it in a round hole. You're taking a pistol, fast paced offense QB and trying to fit him into a pro style offense. I'm not saying Smith isn't worth a #8 pick, he is... just not to the Bills. In fact, I see Smith as a perfect fit for Philly if Chip Kelly will be running a similar offense that he ran in college.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

I live in Syracuse and have had season tickets to SU football games since 1980. I have seen just about every game Nassib has played. He is not an NFL starter. Take a look at his senior bowl performance. You would have to be crazy to take him in the first round and pass on guys like Patterson, Jordan, Jones, Warmack, etc.

I live in Syracuse and have had season tickets to SU football games since 1980. I have seen just about every game Nassib has played. He is not an NFL starter. Take a look at his senior bowl performance. You would have to be crazy to take him in the first round and pass on guys like Patterson, Jordan, Jones, Warmack, etc.

Senior Bowl? WTF? A beauty contest? Playing a meaninglees game with a bunch of strsngers in a totally different offense with a week to prrpare? Running qbs might look sexy on that runway.

The facts are the facts and the numbers are the numbers and the numbers say Nassib's are better than the the previous two #8's. What did Tannehill and Locker do in the senior bowl? Did they even suit up? Geno skipped the beuty contest for a reason... because that game takes a qb way out of his element, skill set, and comfort zone. BTW, Your seasons tix have nothing to do with it. He shattered Big East and many of McNabb's records.... it is ignorant to say he can't play in the NFL. It aint like he's Rob Anderson or Troy Nunes.

Senior Bowl? WTF? A beauty contest? Playing a meaninglees game with a bunch of strsngers in a totally different offense with a week to prrpare? Running qbs might look sexy on that runway.

The facts are the facts and the numbers are the numbers and the numbers say Nassib's are better than the the previous two #8's. What did Tannehill and Locker do in the senior bowl? Did they even suit up? Geno skipped the beuty contest for a reason... because that game takes a qb way out of his element, skill set, and comfort zone. BTW, Your seasons tix have nothing to do with it. He shattered Big East and many of McNabb's records.... it is ignorant to say he can't play in the NFL. It aint like he's Rob Anderson or Troy Nunes.

Awww, poor Ryan. At least we know he had a few reasons for why he pooped his pants against the nations top senior college players. Maybe they should have gave him a hot cup of cocoa to make him more comfy.

Yeah, who wants EJ Manuel anyways. The guy who couldn't give a crap about being taken out of his element and comfort zone to score three TDs to become the player of the game. We want Marrone's good little boy scout to run our franchise. Who knows, maybe Marrone can buy him some nice warm mittens with some good grip to throw with, since he did play in a dome in Syracuse and now he'll unfortunately have to play outside in the cold and chilly weather. That's taking him out of his element and comfort zone, but who cares since he has excuses at the ready for why he can't hack it in Buffalo. We must protect Ryan Nassib from feeling any discomfort.

Welcome to my nightmare. It would just be more of the Bills sticking with the "guys they know." I hope to God this does not happen.

When a coach prefers "his guys" as opposed to the best that are out there, you get things like:

Losing Rusty Jones

Mularkey alienating Eric Moulds

Yo-yo QB situations...

Bills history has plenty of that. No thanks. Bring in the best.

I understand the point your making because we just went through it with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Chan Gailey. Gailey loved him some Fitzy right out the door.

On the other hand though its not always the case because there are coaches that base their decisions on whats best for the football team.

I wanted to draft Ryan Nassib on his own merit before ever knowing Marrone was coming to Buffalo to become the Bills next HC.

I understand the point your making because we just went through it with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Chan Gailey. Gailey loved him some Fitzy right out the door.

On the other hand though its not always the case because there are coaches that base their decisions on whats best for the football team.

I wanted to draft Ryan Nassib on his own merit before ever knowing Marrone was coming to Buffalo to become the Bills next HC.

I understand that, but I don't think the evidence tells us he is as dynamic a prospect as Smith. If Nassib had led his team even to a Big East championship, I might see what you're seeing here, but he does not strike me as the kind of guy who wills his team to victory. He could be decent and maybe become great in the right situation, which seems like an awful lot to risk the #8 pick on.

Seems like some revisionist history on Gailey / Fitz though - Edwards did "win" the starting job.

I was replying to a guy who was comparing Nassib to all three...Brady, Marino and Wilson.

What's embarrassing is that apparently you and others here seem to think Ryan Nassib possesses these qualities. At least Scott does show these qualities on video. The ball rockets out of Matt Scott's arm in comparison of Nassib's rather ordinary release and ball speed.

It's like Nassib's video is in slow speed vs Scott's game against USC. Also, did you happen to check out the scoreboard? Scott was concussed, he threw up and he still had the heart to tough it out with a come from behind win. There's no doubt in my mind that Scott will be picked ahead of Nassib. Scott will be picked in the second round and Nassib will fall to the fourth. That's the difference between a true prospect and a quality backup/flyer QB like Nassib.

I swear, people have some serious western new york blinders on with this Nassib kid. Basically, he's a slower version of Colt McCoy. We all know how he turned out.

Is your plan to just keep repeating the same thing about Scott?

How many times can you talk about him vs. USC?

It's almost as if you're trolling.

I understand that, but I don't think the evidence tells us he is as dynamic a prospect as Smith. If Nassib had led his team even to a Big East championship, I might see what you're seeing here, but he does not strike me as the kind of guy who wills his team to victory. He could be decent and maybe become great in the right situation, which seems like an awful lot to risk the #8 pick on.

Seems like some revisionist history on Gailey / Fitz though - Edwards did "win" the starting job.

In the pin stripe bowl Nassib adapted more easily to the windy/bad weather conditions where as Geno looked like a fish out of water for lack of a better word. We all know how windy/bad the weather can be in Buffalo, rated the number one worse place to play in the NFL when it comes to weather.

Both QB's struggled completing passes but Nassib was throwing with more velocity/accuracy in my opinion and it showed.

Is your plan to just keep repeating the same thing about Scott?

How many times can you talk about him vs. USC?

It's almost as if you're trolling.

One of the reasons I repeat the fact that Matt Scott was almost knocked out, threw up, and led his team to a comeback win putting up almost 50 points against USC, is to mock the Ryan Nassib supporters who keep saying he's the best leader and has the biggest heart of this QB class. There's no evidence of Nassib having a big heart and being a great leader. Not only does Nassib not have a story like that, he lost the USC game.

Guys like Nassib and Barkley will not get much better than they are now. They have been long time starters in college and have a very low ceiling with regards to their potential will be in the NFL. A guy like Matt Scott is just scratching the surface on his talent. Dude has a ton of upside given what he did in his first and only season as a starter.

Again, where is the collegiate body of work comparison?

or are you just looking for anything you can disagree with/ be negative about concerning Ryan Nassib

Fine... Let' just do their senior years.

As a senior Wilson completed 72.8% of his passes compared to Nassib's 62.4

Wilson Averaged 11.27 yards pe attempt, compared to Nassib's 7.96

Wilson threw 33 TD's as opposed to Nassib's 26

Wilson went 11-3 as a senior starter, as opposed to Nassib's 8-5

Wilson had a passer rating of 191.78, (higher than Luck's) compared to Nassib's 143.3

I should mention that Wilson did all this in a tougher conference AFTER learning a completely new playbook in three weeks.

What's left.... Oh yah, 26RBI's and five homers as a minor league pro baseball player.

But seriously, if you think numbers can even BEGIN to illustrate the differences between these two athletes coming out of college, then there's no helping you at all.

One of the reasons I repeat the fact that Matt Scott was almost knocked out, threw up, and led his team to a comeback win putting up almost 50 points against USC, is to mock the Ryan Nassib supporters who keep saying he's the best leader and has the biggest heart of this QB class. There's no evidence of Nassib having a big heart and being a great leader. Not only does Nassib not have a story like that, he lost the USC game.

Guys like Nassib and Barkley will not get much better than they are now. They have been long time starters in college and have a very low ceiling with regards to their potential will be in the NFL. A guy like Matt Scott is just scratching the surface on his talent. Dude has a ton of upside given what he did in his first and only season as a starter.

I don't know if it's possible to be more ignorant and biased about something but you are certainly trying your hardest.

You truly sound ridiculous in almost every argument (or lack thereof) that you attempt to present.

No matter what anyone says, your only response is going to be (and has been): "OMG Matt Scott vs. USC."

I dont't doubt Smith is more dynamic than Nassib for one second. But it isn't about that. Both played in very different systems and both excelled in their system. You could not put Nassib in WV's offense and expect him to be effective. Likewise the same is true of Smith lining up @ qb in Cuse's offense.

Right now, the Bills coaching staff has either completed or is very near completing their playbooks without free agency overwith and the draft 6 weeks away. What do you think is contained within the pages of their offensive playbook? The same terminology and plays as in Syracuse's offense plus some wrinkles that take into account the personnel. The qb is going to be asked to do the same thing that was done at Syracuse. I don't see Geno's skill set extrapolating well to that. If the Bills had a year to develop him before putting him in as a starter it would be different. But, with no starting qb, the Bills don't have the luxury of grooming a qb for a year and it makes no sense to bring in some FA qb and learn an offense for one year and then turn the reigns over to their 2013 draftee. They lose a full year of playing experience and the Bills don't get the full 5 year value they signed up for. In selecting Nassib, the coaching staff gets their guy. They would endorse that move. And, it kind of goes back to the old Parcells addage... that if I'm the cook, I'd like to do some of the grocery shopping.

A lot of fans are quick to say that bringing in Marrone and his college staff is one thing, but it's going too far to allow him to bring in his college players. I say that doesn't make sense. If he wants certain players, I say it's his job and what he believes he needs to succeed is what he believes he needs to succeed. It's his job to lose. Miami did the same thing last year when Tannehill followed his college coach and Chip Kelly did the same thing when he just acquired Dennis Dixon, one of his ex college QBs and said to be courting Dion Jordan... one of his players from last year.

For this Bills team and the current coaching staff, Nassib is plug and play from day one. Sure he needs refinement and will need to adapt to the NFL game speed. But he knows how to read defenses, the right blocking calls, the progressions, the coverages, and exactly when to throw and where to put the balll

I know a lot of fans aren't going to like this, but right now, Ryan Nassib is clearly the best fit for this Bills team, which has a vacancy at qb and needs a starter right away and gives them the benefit of 5 full years out of the gate. Nassib has a mature offensive line, mature backfield and rb weapon out of the backfield that he is going to love to throw to and recognize mismatches. Stevie is going to love Nassib. He is used to throwing to possession wrs that can separate and run precision routes because Nassib had no speed wideouts at Cuse. Tight ends? 27% of Nassib's completions this past season were to tight ends. And most of all, Nassib is going to benefit from a supporting cast the likes of which he's never had or been afforded. The first half of the season will be tough going, but the second half of the season we'll begin to see the progress and maturation.

In the pin stripe bowl Nassib adapted more easily to the windy/bad weather conditions where as Geno looked like a fish out of water for lack of a better word. We all know how windy/bad the weather can be in Buffalo, rated the number one worse place to play in the NFL when it comes to weather.

Both QB's struggled completing passes but Nassib was throwing with more velocity/accuracy in my opinion and it showed.

Oh, here we go. I'll repeat this. It gets cold and windy in West Virginia. And I will take Geno's line in that game over Nassib's anyday.

I know a lot of fans aren't going to like this, but right now, Ryan Nassib is clearly the best fit for this Bills team, which has a vacancy at qb and needs a starter right away and gives them the benefit of 5 full years out of the gate. Nassib has a mature offensive line, mature backfield and rb weapon out of the backfield that he is going to love to throw to and recognize mismatches. Stevie is going to love Nassib. He is used to throwing to possession wrs that can separate and run precision routes because Nassib had no speed wideouts at Cuse. Tight ends? 27% of Nassib's completions this past season were to tight ends. And most of all, Nassib is going to benefit from a supporting cast the likes of which he's never had or been afforded. The first half of the season will be tough going, but the second half of the season we'll begin to see the progress and maturation.

What about in the future? I think you draft for ceiling. If they really think Geno is as dumb or stubborn as a brick after meeting with him, that's understandable (doubtful IMO). But NFL QBs pick up new systems upon arrival to the league all the time. You're right, for plug'n'play, Nassib would certainly be a more seamless fit, but I don't know that he helps this team reach the upper echelon. I'll root for him if he gets here, but I am wary.

And those passes to TEs won't help him if the Bills don't have any. Here's hoping!