Game of Thrones Season 3

The Big Cat

So who's watching?

For those like me who are watching without having read, I ask that any readers provide filler insight where they can without giving anything away.

Last night's episode was pretty great, but the ending sucked pretty hard.

The slave warrior trade scene was great, so was the definitive confrontation between the Lannister men.

Let's get this going!

Dug it. Wish I had waited until next week to watch though so I could have watched two back-to-back. This one was all set up / re-establishing where the characters are in the world.

Agreed--and that was a little annoying. A bone to those picking up the series NOW, but hopefully the last of its kind.

Agreed--and that was a little annoying. A bone to those picking up the series NOW, but hopefully the last of its kind.

Likely not. After episode 1, we still have not seen the characters/story for Arya Stark, Jamie Lannister & Brienne, Theon Greyjoy, Lord Varys, or Bran Stark.....I think that's all of them at this point.

The books get more and more complex in regards to characters as the series progresses........to the point where George R R Martin decided to write about half the characters in book 4 & the other half in book 5......with both books following the same time period. He did this to fully follow the characters and do justice to their individual stories.....and be able to stop with each at a satisfying point rather than have a massive "to be continued" at the end of book 5.

Book 6 saw the characters again all following the same time period......and was a monster of a book.

For those that don't know......book 3(the book that we are up to in the TV series) was very large and was released as two separate books(Book 3 part 1 & 2).

Season 3 will roughly cover book 3 part 1......while season 4 will roughly cover book 3 part 2.

I actually thought episode 1 was great. I read them all so I'm not so much watching to see what happens but watching to watch...and there were some great scenes. Tyrion/Tywin, Cersei/Tyrion, the brief bit Bolton had, and even Danny's story has more legs than it had in the book (for me anyway)...also Stannis is interesting I loved that story line reading and it's portrayed differently than I read it but still good imo...

...in any even book 3 was the best of the series imo..and I think the next two seasons of GoT will be the best of the show...although the last of the books has not come out yet so we will see

Edited by SameOldBills

One thing about Tyrion is it seems a bit forced...his personality/wit...of course it is b/c you can get in his head w/ POV chapters and his wit comes out naturally in longer dialog.that is not possible in the show...but then again Tyrion does well on screen anyway and it is a big shoe to fill in terms of book-tyrion

Likely not. After episode 1, we still have not seen the characters/story for Arya Stark, Jamie Lannister & Brienne, Theon Greyjoy, Lord Varys, or Bran Stark.....I think that's all of them at this point.

The books get more and more complex in regards to characters as the series progresses........to the point where George R R Martin decided to write about half the characters in book 4 & the other half in book 5......with both books following the same time period. He did this to fully follow the characters and do justice to their individual stories.....and be able to stop with each at a satisfying point rather than have a massive "to be continued" at the end of book 5.

Book 6 saw the characters again all following the same time period......and was a monster of a book.

For those that don't know......book 3(the book that we are up to in the TV series) was very large and was released as two separate books(Book 3 part 1 & 2).

Season 3 will roughly cover book 3 part 1......while season 4 will roughly cover book 3 part 2.

When did book 6 come out? I've been unable to find it.

When did book 6 come out? I've been unable to find it.

Uggg.....had a brain spasm.

Book 6 isn't out yet.

I misremembered 5 for 6.

Book 6 will likely be a couple of years away(based upon Martin's recent release times).

It was book 5 that was massive as it followed the other half of the characters......and then joined the two sets of characters back together for the last 400(?) pages.

Uggg.....had a brain spasm.

Book 6 isn't out yet.

I misremembered 5 for 6.

Book 6 will likely be a couple of years away(based upon Martin's recent release times).

It was book 5 that was massive as it followed the other half of the characters......and then joined the two sets of characters back together for the last 400(?) pages.

I finished book 5 in February. Now I'm just waiting. It sucks. Hahaha

I was actually a little disappointed in this first one. There are too many interesting characters to do justice to any of them in a 50 minute episode. I don't know how they will be able to do this going forward, unless they do what dibs said about the books--ignore some for a few episodes and focus on fewer?

I was actually a little disappointed in this first one. There are too many interesting characters to do justice to any of them in a 50 minute episode. I don't know how they will be able to do this going forward, unless they do what dibs said about the books--ignore some for a few episodes and focus on fewer?

It can be done. Easily. These guys are talented. And they can take liberty with the book story to suit the screen.

........And they can take liberty with the book story to suit the screen.

Which they did in season 2 to very good effect IMO.......and I love the books(my favourite fantasy novels ever....and I've read quite a few).

I have faith that the writers will be able to maintain the quality throughout......and it certainly helps having the author(Martin) having a hands on role with the scripts & production.

I watched seasons 1 & 2 before starting to read the books. I just finished book 3 before the season started, so it will be interesting to see the show for the first time knowing where the plot lines are going. I thought they did a pretty good job in the first episode, but some details in the book were changed or lost in the show.

For instance, the reason Jon Snow gave for wanting to join the Wildlings, I thought, was much more convincing in the book than in the show, and I'm not sure why they felt they needed to change it. I also thought the scene with Dany and the slave trader was well done, but was more interesting in the book since we knew Dany understood his language and what he was saying, but didn't let them know that.

Also, the scene where Ser Barristan reveals himself was more powerful in the book, but it's pretty clear that they couldn't have done the same in the show. For those who didn't read the books, it occurs later in the timeline.

And what, no Strong Belwas?

• 1 month later...

I can't believe that no one has posted about last Sunday's episode! What the :censored: was that?!?! The ending was more intense/crazy than any 10 episodes of The Sopranos combined!

It has been discussed, for whatever reason, in the Game Of Thrones Season 2 thread... people get so mad about spoilers, and hiding spoilers is a pain in the ass...so I normally wait to comment after a lot of others have...god forbid I be the one to ruin their day by letting them know they will likely never see the gorgeous naked ass of Talisa again... :cry:

yea it kinda stinks that everyone is tapdancing about what happened for spoiler reasons................IMO don't click on the thread unless your up to date. Kinda kills the conversation when everyone is being so vague.

Wonder if the guy who married the daughter in the wedding scene will perish as well. Ton of questions going into the last episode.

Game of Thrones/Mad Men sundays are just awesome I will still keep Mad Men slightly over GOT. Nice story and sets on GOT, Mad Men actors and actresses all crush it though IMO.

It has been discussed, for whatever reason, in the Game Of Thrones Season 2 thread... people get so mad about spoilers, and hiding spoilers is a pain in the ass...so I normally wait to comment after a lot of others have...god forbid I be the one to ruin their day by letting them know they will likely never see the gorgeous naked ass of Talisa again... :cry:

That's pretty ridiculous; if you don't want the spoilers don't click the thread. I always enjoy your Mad Men commentary but have to wait until my wife and I finally find a night to watch the prior Sunday's episode. Sometimes it takes all week!

fully aware about people watching at different times, so was especially careful not to say too much in that season 2 thread.

that said, this last episode was so stunning, I'm still in a bit of stunned.

jw

I'm not squeamish about TV violence and expected that there was something bad coming with the wedding but that still left me feeling like someone kicked me in the gut.

I'm not squeamish about TV violence and expected that there was something bad coming with the wedding but that still left me feeling like someone kicked me in the gut.

By gut you meant nuts right?

Book Three (Storm of Swords) was just fantastic, and I've been waiting for this episode for a while. I thought they did a nice job, despite a few changes from the book. Even knowing what was going to happen, it was still quite shocking.

That's pretty ridiculous; if you don't want the spoilers don't click the thread. I always enjoy your Mad Men commentary but have to wait until my wife and I finally find a night to watch the prior Sunday's episode. Sometimes it takes all week!

Yeah, I think its' rediculous too...but trying to be respectful of everyone...no matter how rediculous they are! :lol:

Honestly, though I never seek out spoilers, I have been exposed to many of them over the years...if the work is good, it doesn't ruin it for me...there has to be a reason people can watch the same thing over and over and get more out of it with each viewing. I don't do it with everything, but I typically watch Mad Men twice each week.. on Sunday night, and then again, whenever I can fit it in during the week, before the next one airs. I always notice something I didn't notice on the first viewing..sometimes knowing what is going to happen can actually appreciate the craft more.

Edited by Buftex

I can't believe that no one has posted about last Sunday's episode! What the :censored: was that?!?! The ending was more intense/crazy than any 10 episodes of The Sopranos combined!

Yeah, sorry, that was my fault. I started watching GoT between seasons 2 and 3, and my first post was on the season 2 thread. I said something about how unpredictable the show is--you never know who will get whacked!

Kevin responded with something like, it will continue. After that last episode, I had to respond to his post. I don't think I've ever had a TV series create so much emotion for me. !@#$! First Ned, then Robb!?!? WTF! It's only a friggin show, but I was literally depressed, much like the past 12 Bills' seasons...

Yeah, sorry, that was my fault. I started watching GoT between seasons 2 and 3, and my first post was on the season 2 thread. I said something about how unpredictable the show is--you never know who will get whacked!

Kevin responded with something like, it will continue. After that last episode, I had to respond to his post. I don't think I've ever had a TV series create so much emotion for me. !@#$! First Ned, then Robb!?!? WTF! It's only a friggin show, but I was literally depressed, much like the past 12 Bills' seasons...

This is going to be an epic series. I've read books 1,3,4&5 in the span of a month and can't wait for the upcoming shows/seasons.

I'm not going to do the spoilers though. I promise not to ruin it for you guys.

This is going to be an epic series. I've read books 1,3,4&5 in the span of a month and can't wait for the upcoming shows/seasons.

I'm not going to do the spoilers though. I promise not to ruin it for you guys.

I'm very appreciative that all readers like you have adopted this attitude!!

It leaves me excited for next season. I just wish it didn't take so long between seasons.

Yes, I thought there were a lot of great set ups for next season. Currently I enjoy the Arya-Hound segments the most.

Well that was a letdown.

Yeah, but it's to setup the latter half of a BOOK. I expected zero thrills. But the Caleesi crowd-serving? Bleh! :sick:

I enjoy the exchanges between Tyrion and Cersei. Confrontational one moment then almost kind in the next.

I want the Lannisters to be in every scene.

I love this show. Serious question to those who have read the books: I think that I am going to start reading the books. I presume that, even though I have watched each of the episodes on HBO, it will be both enjoyable and worth the commitment of time to start reading the books from the beginning. Am I correct?

I love this show. Serious question to those who have read the books: I think that I am going to start reading the books. I presume that, even though I have watched each of the episodes on HBO, it will be both enjoyable and worth the commitment of time to start reading the books from the beginning. Am I correct?

I watched seasons 1 and 2 before starting to read the books, so I knew most of the action in the first two books before reading them. And I have to tell you, it didn't diminish the experience at all. Now, I will say that Book 3 is absolutely spectacular, and I'm glad I read that one before seeing this last season, but I still think it will be very much worth it to read the books even after seeing the first three seasons. I'd definitely do it -- GRRM is a really good writer.