Game of Thrones Season 3

The Big Cat

I watched seasons 1 and 2 before starting to read the books, so I knew most of the action in the first two books before reading them. And I have to tell you, it didn't diminish the experience at all. Now, I will say that Book 3 is absolutely spectacular, and I'm glad I read that one before seeing this last season, but I still think it will be very much worth it to read the books even after seeing the first three seasons. I'd definitely do it -- GRRM is a really good writer.

Thanks Rubes. I appreciate it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like the experience of reading the books might be worth while. GOT is one of the few shows I watch in real-time, though. And I think I'd prefer to enjoy the week-to-week 'what's going to happen now' to the book experience.

Also, I'm troubled by all the theories that GRRM has no intent/plans/means of actually finishing the 'seven' book series.

It sounds like the experience of reading the books might be worth while. GOT is one of the few shows I watch in real-time, though. And I think I'd prefer to enjoy the week-to-week 'what's going to happen now' to the book experience.

Also, I'm troubled by all the theories that GRRM has no intent/plans/means of actually finishing the 'seven' book series.

I haven't heard that. I've seen interviews where he says he's planning on telling the story until it's done, which he planned for seven books (maybe eight, depending on how big they get).

Either way, I'm not troubled...I'm completely fascinated by his writing. His attention to detail and subtle foreshadowing are really excellent.

I haven't heard that. I've seen interviews where he says he's planning on telling the story until it's done, which he planned for seven books (maybe eight, depending on how big they get).

Either way, I'm not troubled...I'm completely fascinated by his writing. His attention to detail and subtle foreshadowing are really excellent.

There has been a lot of speculation that he's grown content/unmotivated after the success of the show.

And I know some hard core fantasy/sci-fi readers who won't read or watch the series because they've seen this pattern before: a series intended to be X books long gets popular around book 2 and then just keeps going, and going, and going, and going, and going...

They allude to a lot of this in those Atlantic roundtables I've posted her.