SILB or WILB?

Astrobot

It's hard to say, but I very much doubt we are in a regular 3-4 on 20-25% of the plays. If you're looking for the best players in the draft for the Bills to look at, look at guys that can play in both defenses, and can do a little bit of everything good, rather than just be great pass rushers or run stuffers or coverage guys, especially in the top three rounds. Pettine wants and loves guys like Lawson, who, when on the field, you don't know what defense is going to line up, a 4-3, a 3-4, a 46, etc.

This is truth! The most versatile LBs will be drafted on Pettine's D. This means

• Dion Jordan, Jarvis Jones, Alec Ogletree in RD1 (Minter on the cusp of RD1-2 but you know he'll be an ILB if he's out there)
  • Arthur Brown, Khaseem Greene, Michael Buchanan, and Corey Lemonier in RD2 (I love Lemonier/Greene)

• Jamie Collins, Sean Porter, and Sio Moore (Jonathan Bostic on the cusp of RD3-4 but he's run defender only)
  • Brandon Jenkins, Chase Thomas, and Cornelius Washington in RD4 (Nico Johnson has Minter's problem---solely an ILB)

Edited by Astrobot

We need a guy who can cover Gronkowski. Dont care where he plays.

Thats why we got Lawson in theory. fast and tall and good reach. He himself said he is looking forward to covering him.

we plug in one moreline backer who is Pettine versatile, we might have something !

Astro, like these new LB's you're bringing up. We could draft 3 different LB's right now and we'd do just fine. This is going to be an amazing draft, not like any one we have seen before. The new league is shifting to paying the 2-3 year vets, avoiding the costs associated with experienced players, and avoiding vesting the 4 years.

We need a guy who can cover Gronkowski. Dont care where he plays.

Scott could cover Gronk successfully in 2011. I really do not think Gronk is going to be a huge factor next year because he is going to be too injured.

1. Cordarrelle Patterson WRF or Tavon Austin WRS (Value)
  2. E.J. Manuel QB or Tyler Wilson QB (Value)
  3. Jordan Reed TE or Travis Kelce TE in RD3
  4. JC Tretter OG

I'd be ecstatic with that draft!

I would like the 1st 3 rounds there. I think we better draft a LB at some point.

I would be happier with Austin over Patterson. I'm concerned about 1 season wonders drafted high. Just sayin.

I would like the 1st 3 rounds there. I think we better draft a LB at some point.

I would be happier with Austin over Patterson. I'm concerned about 1 season wonders drafted high. Just sayin.

Austin will be a star. He is simply the best WR in the draft. However, because of his size, many teams will make the mistake of passing on him. If he drops, NE will probably grab him.

I just don't want Scott on the field as a lb in the nickel, so I think we need an lb in this draft to fill that role. It seems like Lawson will take over for barnett and I would love to have seen ogletree out there too, but he could be a knucklehead and we don't need that at #8. I don't know if J Jones or D Jordan can fill that role either. So in the top three picks I think we need a wilb who can cover and do okay in run support.

Other than that, qb in the 2nd, wr/te te/wr, wr/cb would be good for me. I think wr needs the most bodies but I'm not sold on patterson at 8. I don't know if he will be able to get off the line and I didn't see him going up and getting too many balls in traffic. He probably will be able to do it, but it could take some time for him to learn.

I still think that even if the Bills like what they have to fit the scheme with Sheppard, Brandham, Lawson, Moats, and Anderson and Mario as supplemental pass rushers on the outside. They still need depth esp at MLB I see the Bills making one more signing at MLB to sure up that position. They really need more bodies at LB even getting a capable MLB would go a long way. In addition to a MLB on the cheap I could still see them going with a LB in the first four rounds too.

• 3 weeks later...

If I run with that order, you get:

3. Brian Winters OG (Reach)

4. Vance McDonald TE or Gavin Escobar TE (Value)

I'd be happy with that draft.

If you take TE before OG, it'd be

3. Jordan Reed TE or Travis Kelce TE in RD3

4. JC Tretter OG

I'd be ecstatic with that draft!

Patterson is a big reach with number 8. Plus with lack of experience, I don't see buddy nix touching him at all.

E.J. Manuel is a reach at the top of 2nd round pick imo

I don't know the guards and TE's that you mention.

I really wouldnt be surprised if the made a major reach for Nassib with the 8th pick. Some are saying he is the best qb in the draft

Patterson is a big reach with number 8. Plus with lack of experience, I don't see buddy nix touching him at all.

E.J. Manuel is a reach at the top of 2nd round pick imo

I don't know the guards and TE's that you mention.

I really wouldnt be surprised if the made a major reach for Nassib with the 8th pick. Some are saying he is the best qb in the draft

After Buddy's recent comments, LB is not a need and will not be addressed in the first 3 rounds, I would imagine.

After Buddy's recent comments, LB is not a need and will not be addressed in the first 3 rounds, I would imagine.

I've been saying that the Bills wouldn't draft a LB at #8.

I could have imagined them drafting a pass rushing linebacker but of the available non-pass rushing LBs, none of them are anywhere near as good as Luke Kuechly.

If there was someone as good as Kuechly, I could see them drafting that player but there's no one that fits that description.

And Anderson?

I think he plays ROLB...he did it in NE in a hybrid style.

Again, I've said this before, but Mario will play a similar role to what Watts and Quinton Coples...I know I'm not spelling it right...do in a 3-4. Kyle plays 3 tech, like Ngata (similar) and Marcus is the nose. As a rookie he played nose very well.

In the nickel, 3-3 Carrington, Branch and Mario upfront...6'5", 6'6" and 6'7". Blitzing the 6'6" Lawson thru passing lanes.

In a Mike Pettine offense, there is less differentiation between the LBs, but we've let our weakside linebacker go (Barnett) and signed a strongside OLB (Lawson). We have a weakside OLB (Bradham) that is serviceable. Shep played ILB last year and made 80 tackles.

Are we looking for a WILB in the draft? A SILB and have Shep at WILB?

As a WILB, I like Khaseem Greene in RD2 and Sean Porter in RD3. Nico Johnson is the most versatile of the three, and would be available in RD3.

As a SILB, I love Kevin Minter but he'll likely go before our RD2. So will Manti Te'O (Bears or PGH), I think. Jonathan Bostic

would be a good possibility in RD3, and he also is versatile between ILB and OLB, and is a very good run defender.

I need to know what need we're filling.

Astro

Based on listening to Buddy's LB comments at the draft luncheon, here's my take: Pettine's "base" D is essentially a 3-4/4-3 hybrid where one of the edge defenders sometimes goes in a 3 point stance (4-3, DE), and sometimes stands up (3-4, OLB). Just in terms of the position breakdown, it definitely seemed like our "pass rusher" is either considered a DE or has his own LB position, which is fairly common. I know under the great George Edwards our linebackers were Sam (SOLB), Mike (SILB/MLB), Will (WILB), and Jack (WOLB/designated pass rusher).

Nix seemed to think that with Lawson and Bradham we're set at starters for the Sam and Will, respectively. He also basically said we're set for pass rushers, which tells me that when we play a 3-4 look, the other OLB will be one of our DEs. He didn't mention Sheppard at all, which I think is somewhat telling. He did mention the waiver-claim guy we just picked up from the Jets as a "cover guy," so it sounds like his plan is Bradham and either Scott or CoverGuy will be the nickel LBs. He ended one answer by saying:

We might, you cannot tell, but there may be one in the draft that we want to take. We are better than we were when we started free agency. I will say that.

Which sounds to me like he definitely wants/is planning to take a potential replacement for Sheppard early. In terms of Draftek, I think we're looking for a 4-3 MLB/3-4 SILB type to compete with Sheppard. Sounds to me like every other LB position, including nickel/dime backer, is essentially filled.

Based on listening to Buddy's LB comments at the draft luncheon, here's my take: Pettine's "base" D is essentially a 3-4/4-3 hybrid where one of the edge defenders sometimes goes in a 3 point stance (4-3, DE), and sometimes stands up (3-4, OLB). Just in terms of the position breakdown, it definitely seemed like our "pass rusher" is either considered a DE or has his own LB position, which is fairly common. I know under the great George Edwards our linebackers were Sam (SOLB), Mike (SILB/MLB), Will (WILB), and Jack (WOLB/designated pass rusher).

Nix seemed to think that with Lawson and Bradham we're set at starters for the Sam and Will, respectively. He also basically said we're set for pass rushers, which tells me that when we play a 3-4 look, the other OLB will be one of our DEs. He didn't mention Sheppard at all, which I think is somewhat telling. He did mention the waiver-claim guy we just picked up from the Jets as a "cover guy," so it sounds like his plan is Bradham and either Scott or CoverGuy will be the nickel LBs. He ended one answer by saying:

Which sounds to me like he definitely wants/is planning to take a potential replacement for Sheppard early. In terms of Draftek, I think we're looking for a 4-3 MLB/3-4 SILB type to compete with Sheppard. Sounds to me like every other LB position, including nickel/dime backer, is essentially filled.

i don't necessary get that. Sheppard is basically the MLB in 4-3 looks, and one of the ILB in 3-4 looks... or at least a potential starter in those looks. no need for Buddy to mention Shep, as i believe he's a given as an inside guy in all looks (although may come off the field for Scott in those obvious passing downs i suppose).

can't go into a season with the bare minimum, so any LB they take could push anyone else or provide depth, etc.

i don't necessary get that. Sheppard is basically the MLB in 4-3 looks, and one of the ILB in 3-4 looks... or at least a potential starter in those looks. no need for Buddy to mention Shep, as i believe he's a given as an inside guy in all looks (although may come off the field for Scott in those obvious passing downs i suppose).

can't go into a season with the bare minimum, so any LB they take could push anyone else or provide depth, etc.

I found it interesting that Nix was asked "How do you feel about your linebacker position?" and he specifically talked about Lawson and Marcus Dowtin, and specifically mentioned Moats in a follow-up question, but did not mention Sheppard. (To be fair, he didn't mention Bradham until someone specifically asked about Bradham later on, and then he raved about him. So maybe he would've been equally positive about Sheppard if there had been a Sheppard-specific question, but we can't know that.)

Furthermore, Nix's initial answer contained phrases like, "We will know more with this group after we get through OTAs" and, "there may be one in the draft that we want to take." Contrast that to his comments regarding pass rushers: "We think we are pretty good there and we think we would be fine even if we did not add one."

EDIT: Or Nix's comments on guards:

Q: Do you have enough confidence with the six guards that you have that if it’s not addressed in the draft then you’re fine?

Buddy Nix: Right. I do.

Just tone-wise, he came across as a lot more bullish about pass rushers and guards than he did about linebackers. Sounds to me like the new coaching staff is not nearly as high on Sheppard as the old coaching staff was. Remember, Nix can't go out and say that they need to upgrade that spot prior to upgrading it, both to avoid tipping other teams off and to avoid selling out Sheppard in case they can't get someone better.

Edited by Cash