Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg faces $1 billion tax bill

I know I've mentioned this before but I love FB. All day long I get food, beer, wine, music, ideas popping up. Today it was the Allman Brothers being introduced by Billy Graham on Don Kirschner's Rock Concert in 1973 along with three fantastic pasta dish recipes and a lamb special at my favorite local butcher for Easter and it's only 10:00am. If you use it to keep up with people you're missing out. I hate people but love FB. :lol:

Sounds like you might like Google+ more -- it focuses less on "hanging out with your friends" and more on good information.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please continue to talk about the virtues of work and putting your nose to the task PPP. I can almost see the hard-ons you all have in my computer screen...

And Donte...of course this isn't any different...but here on this board we are not allowed to mention the obvious truth everyone in the real world, and certainly every uber successful person in te real world, knows...which is ya need luck. Plain an simple. Somehow this age old truth doesn't register with the old grumps on here looking for excuses to spout off on the value of work and how 'liberals' don't know about it...you make billions you had luck. Period. You almost certainly had a bunch of other stuff going for you, but luck was on your side too.

Edited by SameOldBills

Please continue to talk about the virtues of work and putting your nose to the task PPP. I can almost see the hard-ons you all have in my computer screen...

And Donte...of course this isn't any different...but here on this board we are not allowed to mention the obvious truth everyone in the real world, and certainly every uber successful person in te real world, knows...which is ya need luck. Plain an simple. Somehow this age old truth doesn't register with the old grumps on here looking for excuses to spout off on the value of work and how 'liberals' don't know about it...you make billions you had luck. Period. You almost certainly had a bunch of other stuff going for you, but luck was on your side too.

I guess in your defense, it did work for Indianapolis.

you seem to think that luck is a requirement for success....that you can't be a success without it. the vast majority of successful people in this country became that way because they worked hard and kept trying. maybe they had a little luck here & there along the way that helped them become successful more quickly, maybe they didn't. either way, they still had to take an idea and make it a reality by working hard and taking risks along the way. to just put it all down to luck is to completely discredit the work, the idea, and the success of someone who has likely worked very hard to get where they are. this should not be a partisan issue....it's just common sense. anyone who believes that you have to be lucky to attain personal wealth and success will never be successful or wealthy.

No one here has denied that luck is involved in almost every successful venture. However none of us are placing the emphasis on how much luck was involved. You're coming across as an ass by inferring that it was mostly due to luck whereas the rest of us are saying luck played a small part but most of his success can be atributed to having a vision, working hard, surrounding himself with smart people and making it work.

Edited by Chef Jim

The longer, smarter, and harder I work, the "luckier" I seem to get. SameOldBills, you must find that to be the oddest correlation ever.

Even though I do have many disagreements with TYTT, this is an old adage that has a lot of truth to it.

Even though I do have many disagreements with TYTT, this is an old adage that has a lot of truth to it.

Luck is where the crossroads of opportunity and preparation meet.

Seeing SameOld does not know the roads of opportunity and preparation Zuckerberg took the only road he sees is the luck.

if you can characterize success as luck, then you are able to point to success and say 'it isn't fair that so & so is that lucky', making it a lot easier in people's minds to tax the wealth away in the name of 'fairness'.

No one here has denied that luck is involved in almost every successful venture. However none of us are placing the emphasis on how much luck was involved. You're coming across as an ass by inferring that it was mostly due to luck whereas the rest of us are saying luck played a small part but most of his success can be atributed to having a vision, working hard, surrounding himself with smart people and making it work.

The only reason we are talking about this is the last sentence of the article. And in the case of Zuckerburg, he was lucky. There are a bunch of reasons he made that much money so young but yes, as per the last sentence, luck was one and a big one. And stop thinking I'm somehow railing against work and saying everything is luck..I'm saying to cash in at a certain level and at a certain age then that takes luck...that fortune is enormous.

Edited by SameOldBills

The only reason we are talking about this is the last sentence of the article. And in the case of Zuckerburg, he was lucky. There are a bunch of reasons he made that much money so young but yes, as per the last sentence, luck was one and a big one. And stop thinking I'm somehow railing against work and saying everything is luck..I'm saying to cash in at a certain level and at a certain age then that takes luck...that fortune is enormous.

Just as you were lucky that you didn't end up being a stain on someones pants and are a human being.

The larger the fortune, the less luck is involved, and age is completely irrelevant to this conversation.

OK, then if that's your theory - exactly how did he get lucky, considering that Facebook was not the first social network that was developed and launched, and a start-up Facebook was going head to head with major, established Internet titans in 2003-2004.

OK, then if that's your theory - exactly how did he get lucky, considering that Facebook was not the first social network that was developed and launched, and a start-up Facebook was going head to head with major, established Internet titans in 2003-2004.

Well, I saw the movie and even you have to admit that Zuckerberg got pretty lucky. Originally the movie was going to be directed by Michael Bay. He dodged a CGI'd bullet on that one, me thinks.

Well, I saw the movie and even you have to admit that Zuckerberg got pretty lucky. Originally the movie was going to be directed by Michael Bay. He dodged a CGI'd bullet on that one, me thinks.

Michael Bay's plan was to make Zuckerberg transform into a huge douche during the movie.