Waiting for Round 2 worth the risk?

From that article:

"The kid has all the intangibles you could imagine," one of the AFC executives said. "You couldn't ask for a better kid or a harder worker. But he just doesn't have the arm on the deep stuff."

More specifically, scouts have said that Barkley doesn't have the ability to fire passes to tight spots on the field, relying mostly on timing to land throws. With that in mind, Barkley sounds like Pennington.

"That's the comparison I would make," the AFC executive said. "That's what people said about Pennington way back then."

That's exactly what I said about Barkley.

He has really only one negative.

And you hear posters say that arm strength isn't that important but I bet you NFL teams feel very differently about arm strength, especially when it's below average.

If he had even an average arm you might be tempted to live with it.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Ziggy Ansah is still there, then I'd pull the trigger on him. If EJ is gone by #41, Tyler Wilson should still be on the board. If Tyler Wilson is gone, then it's BDPA all the way. Then you can start looking for your wideouts in the third. -Aaron Dobson will be there... Cobi Hamilton is grossly underrated, and could be there also.

The team I envision is loaded with kids who can actually make plays. Getting sick and tired of these bargain-basement role players.

Picking a QB in the 1st round does not turn that player into a first round talent. And no amount of "magical thinking" can make it happen. By all means take one. But this class of QBs is what it is: a bunch of C+/B- guys. If you can accept that then you won't be disappointed when they turn out not to be saviors.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think we go QB, WR, LB in our first 3 picks - or - LB, WR, QB. It seems like the value for a WR is in RD 2, and one could argue the value for a QB, depending on who one likes, but I think there will be a viable, developmental QB in each of the first 4 rounds. LB, however, isn't as deep, IMO, as QB and WR. That makes me think unless the Bills have a QB that drops to 8 who they love - Barkley maybe?, if there is even one they have rated high enough - then I think they go OLB, unless a guy they can't pass on, like one of the top LT's, is somehow available. One thing's for sure, this is going to be a really interesting draft!

Let's say the Bills like the QBs in this order:

Manuel

Smith

Glennon

Nassib

Pick #8 comes up and all are still available. There are no potential trade down partners.

What do you do? Do you pick Manuel? You like him better than anyone else.

Do you wait until round two knowing that Smith will be gone but hoping that Manuel lasts? It is likely that most teams like Smith best do there is at least one QB that goes before Manuel. Are Nassib and Glennon good enough as consolation prizes? Does your plan become trading back in ahead of a team that you think wants Manuel?

Those are all hypotheticals.

One general question is whether you think Manuel will last and become an option for the Bills at #41.

None of them cause Kolb is as good or better...BPA period

To me it all comes down to the top three tackles in the draft. If all three are gone by the time we pick, then I'm trying like hell to move out. If moving out isn't an option, then I'd have to go with best player available. Same thing in round 2, if the QB I'm targeting isn't there, then it's best player available again. After that, then it's best player of positional need.

Edited by the skycap

I think we go QB, WR, LB in our first 3 picks - or - LB, WR, QB. It seems like the value for a WR is in RD 2, and one could argue the value for a QB, depending on who one likes, but I think there will be a viable, developmental QB in each of the first 4 rounds. LB, however, isn't as deep, IMO, as QB and WR. That makes me think unless the Bills have a QB that drops to 8 who they love - Barkley maybe?, if there is even one they have rated high enough - then I think they go OLB, unless a guy they can't pass on, like one of the top LT's, is somehow available. One thing's for sure, this is going to be a really interesting draft!

Oh, it's gonna be big-time weird.

Personally, I expect to have at least one nervous breakdown, and two, (maybe three) conniptions. Just seems like we never draft weapons to compete in our division. It's like we purposely go out and collect knives to bring to gunfights.

Something's gotta give. I concede we have a need at guard, but this IS NOT the year to take one. Not with the solid talent available at OLB/DE, SILB, and WR. If our GM wasn't ignorant, backwards, and, pig-headed, -We'd have the chance to reload our LB and WR corp. However, he's all three, so look for us to go QB, CB, in the early rounds.

On the bright side there are lots of hidden gems for day 2 and 3... I think Buddy makes a witless, hair-brained, misstep that ends up working out great for Bills nation.

Edited by #34fan

I agree, the best QB in this class at best would be an average starter, and a great backup. Wait to round three and draft whoever left.

So the plan is use a 3rd round pick on a QB that we don't plan to develop because we're just going to draft another QB in the 1st next year? Brilliant.

Just don't have any hissy fits or we'll have to ask you to leave.

I'm gonna be on my fourth or fifth scotch by the time the eighth pick rolls around. -It should help out, but if it doesn't, remind me of what I did so I can apologize.

Eighth pick?

Sounds like you're starting early!

I Gotta Buddy-proof myself against the horror... If we draft a position other than QB at 8, and EJ is gone by 41, then the next choice for QB should be Wilson.

Take a gander at this:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22021061/top-qb-guru-tyler-wilson-is-best-passer-in-class-of-2013

Sound credible to you?

I Gotta Buddy-proof myself against the horror... If we draft a position other than QB at 8, and EJ is gone by 41, then the next choice for QB should be Wilson.

Take a gander at this:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22021061/top-qb-guru-tyler-wilson-is-best-passer-in-class-of-2013

Sound credible to you?

Seeing that the guy is mentoring Wilson, I would sing his praises too.

If we draft a position other than QB at 8, and EJ is gone by 41, then the next choice for QB should be Wilson.

Take a gander at this:

http://www.cbssports...n-class-of-2013

Sound credible to you?

I watched a lot of Wilson. I watched the complete video of his 2012 games against Tulsa, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Rutgers, and LSU and I like him a lot.

The linked article seems to suggest that he's an elite passer or in today's parlance, has great "arm talent." His velocity honestly didn't jump off the screen at me although he clearly has a stronger arm than Barkley (as do all the QB prospects.

However he is a great arm talent in other ways. People talk about Matt Barkley's touch and ball location. Wilson, when he's not running for his life (as he seemed to be a lot this year) has great touch and accuracy. He's as natural a thrower as anyone in this class always seeming to throw the ball with the correct velocity and trajectory for each play. The timing of his throws is excellent seeming to know when to throw the ball a tad earlier or later as the play unfolds.

While it takes great toughness to play QB, Wilson is really tough. People talk about Nassib's toughness but Wilson impressed me the most of all the QBs in terms of taking a beating and never letting on that he was hurting. It was obviously a point of pride with Wilson that he never let the defense know he was in pain. You can see why he was a team captain.

I love the way he tried holding the team together in the aftermath of the Petrino fiasco. If you watch his interviews he's incredibly mature and team-oriented. He's a natural born leader, it's not forced at all.

After Manuel, Wilson is my second favorite QB.

Of the others, I like Matt Scott as a project QB in the third round and I think Zach Dysert is very underrated.

The interesting thing about this QB class is that you have a few tall QBs like Manuel, Bray, Glennon, and Landry Jones.

Then all the other top prospect (Barkley, Smith, Nassib, Dysert, Wilson, Scott) are between 6'2" and 6'3" and all about the same weight. None of these "shorter" QBs have elite physical talent although most of them seem to have very good intangibles.

But yeah, I like Tyler Wilson a lot and I think he could become a very good NFL QB.

If no QB is taken before 8th, I doubt any team after the Bills would use a first on a QB this year. The end of the first round will be interesting to watch the jockeying around for the chance to get the QB they want. I am up for the Bills ttrading back and gaetting more draft picks. They can still get a quality QB in the 2nd. Option to trade back into the first would be there. This will be a deep draft but it lacks star power in the skill positions.

I watched a lot of Wilson. I watched the complete video of his 2012 games against Tulsa, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Rutgers, and LSU and I like him a lot.

The linked article seems to suggest that he's an elite passer or in today's parlance, has great "arm talent." His velocity honestly didn't jump off the screen at me although he clearly has a stronger arm than Barkley (as do all the QB prospects.

However he is a great arm talent in other ways. People talk about Matt Barkley's touch and ball location. Wilson, when he's not running for his life (as he seemed to be a lot this year) has great touch and accuracy. He's as natural a thrower as anyone in this class always seeming to throw the ball with the correct velocity and trajectory for each play. The timing of his throws is excellent seeming to know when to throw the ball a tad earlier or later as the play unfolds.

While it takes great toughness to play QB, Wilson is really tough. People talk about Nassib's toughness but Wilson impressed me the most of all the QBs in terms of taking a beating and never letting on that he was hurting. It was obviously a point of pride with Wilson that he never let the defense know he was in pain. You can see why he was a team captain.

I love the way he tried holding the team together in the aftermath of the Petrino fiasco. If you watch his interviews he's incredibly mature and team-oriented. He's a natural born leader, it's not forced at all.

After Manuel, Wilson is my second favorite QB.

Under Petrino, the hogs were probably the most exciting college offense to watch on Saturdays. Between Wilson, Knile Davis, Chris Gragg, and Cobi Hamilton, there was never a dull moment. -Last season's dropoff can be directly attributed to the HC letdown.

I think if a team could reunite Wilson with at least ONE of those weapons, (preferably Hamilton) they'd have something very special on their hands.

Edited by #34fan

Let's say the Bills like the QBs in this order:

Manuel

Smith

Glennon

Nassib

Pick #8 comes up and all are still available. There are no potential trade down partners.

What do you do? Do you pick Manuel? You like him better than anyone else.

Do you wait until round two knowing that Smith will be gone but hoping that Manuel lasts? It is likely that most teams like Smith best do there is at least one QB that goes before Manuel. Are Nassib and Glennon good enough as consolation prizes? Does your plan become trading back in ahead of a team that you think wants Manuel?

Those are all hypotheticals.

One general question is whether you think Manuel will last and become an option for the Bills at #41.

Waiting till next year is the way to go.

We need to get Kolb as many weapons as possible or will be selecting high again.