Reasons why staff likely to switch to JP

jahbonas

TD gave up a #1 for Drew...but TD with this staff in place felt it necessary to give up a lot to acquire JP too. If they think JP is not ready to start until year 3 then they overpaid for Losman.

This staff took a mobile Kordell Stewart and made him an MVP candiate for the league

This staff understands how important it is to have a mobile qb and thats why they were willing to give up so much to acquire Losman.

A staff like that 'tolerates' a year with an immobile slower thinking qb like Bledsoe ...until their guy gets ready...its unlikely they wait 2 years

San Diego possibly makes Phillip Rivers wait...but thats because Brees had a probowl season...Bledsoe had nothing close to that here

If we did not have a JP Losman then ofcourse we would stay with Bledsoe...just like if we had no Willis we would be extending Henry's contract. But the fact is we do have a JP Losman...and this staff went out of their way to acquire and pay a high price for him.....they likely will wish to use him now/soon.

The immobile and slower thinking Bledsoe did nothing this year to change this staff's mind that in today's NFL a great weapon to have is a mobile qb with a strong arm.

Drew is a veteran...but he is not a crafty veteran. If he had learned the game like a veteran Joe Ferguson did or a veteran Steve Grogan did then most would agree we keep the qb with the football smarts. The fact is...Drew may be as 'football dumb' as any 11 year veteran qb ever was...it would be difficult to find a dumber one. And its likely much of that occurred (or didn't occur) becuase every off season he goes back home and does not study football year round like a Kelly did ...Kelly would always got smarter with each year.

Yep, I think that's the biggest factor for those of us who think we need a change at QB - TD and the gang drafted JP to play, not to ride the pine. I think the best thing that happened to JP was Big Ben's success in Pittsburgh. Ever since draft day, JP has been running his mouth about how he was as good or better than any other QB in the group. This kid is dying to get out there and prove it. I, for one, love that type of attitude. He'll have some bumps in the road, no doubt. He'll make a lot of mistakes. But we have the perfect defense to help offset the mistakes of a QB.......hell, that's what they did all season this year. The main differene will be that I think JP will be more like Favre than Bledsoe......his upside and the plays he'll make will offset the mistakes. With Bledsoe, it seemed like only the defense was capable of offsetting his mistakes. Those days are hopefully over with.

I just hope that he truly dedicates himself this offseason to showing the coaching staff the he is capable of being the starter next season. He should be living at 1 Bills Drive, studying film all day every day with the coaches, working with the recievers on their own. J. P. in 2005 and goodbye Drew

Based on what little I have seen of JP. He definately has the great skill set that made him a first round pick yet he has also shown to be as green as his college helmet (bad metaphore I know). He's going to take some time to develop. Like most inexperienced QBs he needs to learn to stay in the pocket and look to make a play with his arm instead of his legs. As all too often in the preseason (and parts of the regular season) he'd leave the pocket and start going upfield. While many predraft publications likened him to Brett Favre, I think TSN's comparison to Jake Plummer a better one based on what have seen so far. Maybe after developing he'll become another Favre but he's far from that right now.

Based on what little I have seen of JP. He definately has the great skill set that made him a first round pick yet he has also shown to be as green as his college helmet (bad metaphore I know). He's going to take some time to develop. Like most inexperienced QBs he needs to learn to stay in the pocket and look to make a play with his arm instead of his legs. As all too often in the preseason (and parts of the regular season) he'd leave the pocket and start going upfield. While many predraft publications likened him to Brett Favre, I think TSN's comparison to Jake Plummer a better one based on what have seen so far. Maybe after developing he'll become another Favre but he's far from that right now.

199000[/snapback]

That development he needs is exactly the point of so many of his supporters desire to see him play this last year. We want him to get through that as quickly as possible. Thanks to Troy Vincent, the issue was rendered relatively moot for several weeks. But when Drew, Pucillo, Shaw, Evans, and Henry continued to sh-- the bed on offense the possibility of having JP get through the toe of his learning curve this year continued to foment. The jellin' and hot streak pushed grammar school back into the Spring Training calendar. So be it. We're still going to have to go through it and experience the pain and angst.

To me Bledsoe is just like Joe Ferguson. Nice guy, but never THE guy. JP seems more like a Kelly or a Favre. As long as Drew is our starter, Quarterback will never be considered a strength of this team.

To me Bledsoe is just like Joe Ferguson. Nice guy, but never THE guy. JP seems more like a Kelly or a Favre. As long as Drew is our starter, Quarterback will never be considered a strength of this team.

199055[/snapback]

That's a pretty valid comparison. Drew hasn't learned how to rip off the chin strap and sulk quite as well as Fergy, but give him a bit more time.

<_<

ummm, yeah, hate to burst your bubble, but we DIDNT give up a damn #1 for losman...we gave up a #2 and a #5 for losman...last time i checked, between the 2004 and 2005 drafts, we had 2 1st round draft picks, as did the cowboys...we just used them both in 1 year...so no we didnt give up an f'in #1 for losman!!!!!!

ummm, yeah, hate to burst your bubble, but we DIDNT give up a damn #1 for losman...we gave up a #2 and a #5 for losman...last time i checked, between the 2004 and 2005 drafts, we had 2 1st round draft picks, as did the cowboys...we just used them both in 1 year...so no we didnt give up an f'in #1 for losman!!!!!!

199090[/snapback]

We expended a 1,2, and 5 to get Losman. how's that?

199090[/snapback]

Perhaps it would be more clear to you this way

To acquire Bledsoe Buffalo used a #1 pick

To acquire Losman Buffalo used a #1, #2 #5 pick

ok???

Your wrong about mobile QB's. The leading QB's who will probably win the SB this year are either.

Tom Brady

Manning

Big Ben

Not one of them is a mobile QB. Michael Vick who is a Mobile QB will not win a SB. Mcnabb who was supposed to be a mobile QB has turned into a Pocket passer. He put up good numbers this year with the help of TO who is a receiver who needs a Pocket QB.

A couple of thoughts on this:

1) Sam Wyche and Tom Clements made great progress with Drew this year. Except against the defenses that could take advantage or could scheme with their talent to exploit Drew's weaknesses (re: Steelers, Patriots, Jets with Abraham) Drew showed more pocket awareness. Also Evans and McGahee's presence had a lot to do with this. Wyche and Clements have shown they can improve a QB's skill in short period of time.

I agree with the perspective that if under the close watch of Wyche and Clements, JP spends the off-season working his arse off in the film room and on the field--that he can win the job in camp...but it won't be until the end of camp. This would be the best scenario of all--because if JP wins the job 4 or 5 games into the season--it means we are probably playing less than .500 ball at the time and again putting ourselves in a hole for a playoff run.

What does JP concentrate on?

a) Reads, reads and more reads--he needs to look at every Defense he can in every situation particularly focusing on the AFC east and the upper tier of AFC teams and plot out exactly what he sees and what he would do if the D shows this look.

b) His mechanics--he is very unorthodox with his footwork in the pocket..throwing off his back foot--crossing his legs alot in his drops---letting the ball drop from the throwing position some--drill, drill and more drill. Play fake work is also necessary. Alot of the bad mechanics developed his senior at Tulane when he was under siege...but keep in mind he also led his team to a pretty good record that year all things considered (5-7)

c) Planned roll outs--he will be very effective on these and this is a way to take advantage of his speed and strong arm--mechanics are less important here. This adds a whole new tab to the playbook....probably 3 or 4 times the number of roll out plays that we ran this year--up from 2 a game to 8 to 10.

Lots of other things--but these are the main ones I saw from watching the pre-season games where he got his most work. He can gain familiarity in the film room--alot of his work need is mental not physical.

2) As to the draft choice--I kind of agree with Ramius's logic, although I am not as vehement as him---and we are all kind of saying the same thing..we gave up a second and a fifth round choice in '04 to make our '05 first round choice in '04. So the JP pick literally cost us a second and a fifth..That is a high price--but not an unreasonable one. QB depth last year was 4 first rounders--I don't see that depth this year.

Was it worth it....well--we won't know that answer until this is Mr. Losman's team my friends....

Your wrong about mobile QB's.  The leading QB's who will probably win the SB this year are either.

Tom Brady

Manning

Big Ben

Not one of them is a mobile QB.  Michael Vick who is a Mobile QB will not win a SB.  Mcnabb who was supposed to be a mobile QB has turned into a Pocket passer.  He put up good numbers this year with the help of TO who is a receiver who needs a Pocket QB.

199319[/snapback]

Being mobile is 1 part of the equation..the other (and just is important) is that Brady/Manning & Big Ben are quick thinkers...Bledsoe is as slow a thinking veteran qb that has come along. Much of it due to the fact he will not look at film now for 4 months (apparently thinks he reading of defenses is ok now)..and has done this throughout his career....thats great for his family...lousy for his football reads.

Please tell me why Belichek went with a 2nd year Brady with little game experience (and not too mobile) over an 8 year veteran in Bledsoe ???? Its likely because Brady even in his 2nd year was reading defenses better than Drew was in his 8th !!!!!