Need vs best player available?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good arm without the other qualities that Fitz has could be much worse than what Fitz produced. There is a long history of QBs with very strong arms who have had worse careers than Fitz. It is hard to find a good complete QB that can be a good NFL starter - it isn't as simple as just finding someone with a stronger arm.

You don't have to go too far back in history to recall JP Losman as a strong armed 1st round QB and poor decision maker.

Edited by Uncle Joe

I can't speak for anyone else in the forum, but my opinion is based on direct conversations with two BLESTO scouts, 1 National Services scout, and a personnel director for an NFL team. Their consensus was that Dareus was the 3rd best player in the draft just ahead of Green by mere percentage points in their rankings. That consensus, particularly in the case of BLESTO, is important as those opinions are disseminated to all member teams. Is it possible that each team in turn further refined their rankings? Of course. That goes without saying. But these opinions were so strong that I personally find it doubtful there was much disagreement with those rankings across the board.

From what I've seen this off season, the top three are all OLmen, BTW.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm guessing that's Joeckel, Fisher, and Warmack...I'm also curious...How high did they have DeCastro last year? I know some had him in the top 5...But as an OG he slid...I'm thinking Warmack will see the same this year...Though I doubt it's all the way to #24...

One note on Dareus...I'm sure everyone knows this by now...He was a 318 lb beast at the Combine...He's played 2 seasons in Buffalo at 340 plus...He's a not-so-small example of why scouting is so tough...There are a ton of variables once a prospect gets into the league...But I'm not sure any of them considered the chicken wing factor... ;)

What positions aren't a need? We literally have a need at every single position. RB is likely our deepest position, but Jackson is old and this is likely his last year of quality production, and we lost Choice (not a big deal but he did get a good amount of playing time last year). So basically, our deepest position is quite thin.

Im hoping we dont draft Eddy Lacie with our first round pick and all, but if we spent a mid round pick on a good running back (M Lattimore cough cough) I wouldn't be complaining.

Edited by peterpan