Cannot believe the lack of respect for Jake Long....

Dibs

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you're calling me a lady? Before I get offended... are you buying me dinner?

I'm sure there are some ladies who are equally offended. If you want dinner, you need to enter LA's smartass contest at the beginning of the year.

I'm sure there are some ladies who are equally offended. If you want dinner, you need to enter LA's smartass contest at the beginning of the year.

Oh, I'm not offended. It takes more than anonymous name calling from internet toughs to get me down. I was just hoping that if I took the time to research the point at hand and share my research with the board, it would encourage and perhaps contribute to a legitimate adult discussion about the matter at hand. Again, my bad.

Oh, I'm not offended. It takes more than anonymous name calling from internet toughs to get me down. I was just hoping that if I took the time to research the point at hand and share my research with the board, it would encourage and perhaps contribute to a legitimate adult discussion about the matter at hand. Again, my bad.

Well, if presenting data and then cherrypicking facts to fit your argument is your forte, then you'll fit right in here.

Well, if presenting data and then cherrypicking facts to fit your argument is your forte, then you'll fit right in here.

Oh right, my argument. I almost forgot I presented one -- but I must have, for such biased data to be cherrypicked. History does have a decided bias against whatever you think I'm arguing for, so maybe that explains it. :wallbash:

Oh right, my argument. I almost forgot I presented one -- but I must have, for such biased data to be cherrypicked. History does have a decided bias against whatever you think I'm arguing for, so maybe that explains it. :wallbash:

It's a tough board for tough people.

Hey, some people believe in the letter of the law and some people believe in the spirit of the law.

And some people, of course, are wrong. ;)

As Kelly pointed out, the NYG got Manning and won 2 SBs.

The Rams sucked before and after Warner, who was sacked 87 times in 43 games--38 times (a career high) in 2001. Pace, "the Greatest LT of All Time", was Warner's LT those years.

Ogden was a guard on a Baltimore line and offense that ranked in the top 15 3 times over 12 years.

Just for the record and no other reason, Ogden was a tackle in college and the NFL.

He also just became a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

Just for the record and no other reason, Ogden was a tackle in college and the NFL.

He also just became a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

The former I didn't know, but...OK.

The latter I knew, but never understood how they decide on one guard over another. Ogden was so measurably better at his position than players like Andre Reed or Curtis Martin were at theirs that he was a first ballot HOFer?

The former I didn't know, but...OK.

The latter I knew, but never understood how they decide on one guard over another. Ogden was so measurably better at his position than players like Andre Reed or Curtis Martin were at theirs that he was a first ballot HOFer?

Yes. Easily. Ogden was one of the best players of all time at his position and there wasn't much argument about it. He was fabulous at UCLA. He was the fourth overall pick. He played very well as a rookie, and then made the pro bowl the next 11 years and retired. He was All Pro for 9 years out of the 12 he played. That's extraordinary. He was also huge, was good on the run and pass, and he won a Super Bowl.

Yes. Easily. Ogden was one of the best players of all time at his position and there wasn't much argument about it. He was fabulous at UCLA. He was the fourth overall pick. He played very well as a rookie, and then made the pro bowl the next 11 years and retired. He was All Pro for 9 years out of the 12 he played. That's extraordinary. He was also huge, was good on the run and pass, and he won a Super Bowl.

I'm not saying he wasn't the best guard ever. Hard for me to tell, that's all. The offenses he played on were rarely very good, so what was his exact impact? And his SB win came courtesy of the best defensive (or 2nd best) season performance in history.

I'm not saying he wasn't the best guard ever. Hard for me to tell, that's all. The offenses he played on were rarely very good, so what was his exact impact? And his SB win came courtesy of the best defensive (or 2nd best) season performance in history.

He wasnt the best guard ever, he was a tackle. There are not all that many players who are first team All Pro six times. There are very few players at any position who play at an extremely high quality every single year of their career. He was consensus All Rookie (and the Ravens did have a very good offense his first couple years).and then went to the Pro Bowl every year after. Jamal Lewis ran for 2000 yards one year, one of only five times in history. He quit on top after being known for being the best player at his position most of his career. How many players are great college players, picked in the first five, start immediately, are immediately great, and then great for 12 straight years and then retire? Very, very few.

Odgen played OG during his rookie year in the NFL and then played LT for the remainder.

Edited by Doc