QB arm strength question

Im wondering why when people talk about QB arm strength that that would be a reason for not taking a prospect - in this case Barkley... Can't the player just do upper body and arm workouts to increase the strength in their arm and with ball velocity?

Now obviously ball accuracy is something that cannot be changed

Arm strength is only one factor and I actually think it has little to do with throwing deep. Arm strength is more important for getting the ball from point A to point B as fast and as accurately as possible. Everyone knows the windows are smaller in the NFL.

Intelligence, quickness of release, accuracy, arm strength, pocket awareness, mobility. That is the order of importance for me.

You can improve your throwing by increasing your overall strength with lower body power actually being more important than upper body - also even guys with good arms will throw ducks off their back foot so footwork is important - but while you can improve velocity with training the improvements will be minor

I'd argue upper body and arm workouts would diminish arm strength. I think you can improve arm strength a little but not significantly. It's kind of one of those things that you just naturally have by all the things other posters above have mentioned coming together. Hate to sound cliche but to have a strong arm ready for the NFL is a gift.

I'd argue upper body and arm workouts would diminish arm strength. I think you can improve arm strength a little but not significantly. It's kind of one of those things that you just naturally have by all the things other posters above have mentioned coming together. Hate to sound cliche but to have a strong arm ready for the NFL is a gift.

Further there are things that you physically can't change - hand size being one. I'd imagine there are some golden ratios in stuff like arm length, or shoulder to elbow/elbow to hand that likely make a difference. The way your joints a composed.

These aren't just guys that out worked the competition - a lot of times they are physical freaks on some quirky measurements AND they were lucky enough to get the mental side AND the work ethic.

In a game of inches and hundredths of a second sometimes the gifts you were born without cannot overcome the ones you work to develop.

Think "velocity" not "strength". How many mph on his fastball do you think Scwarzenager added from all that weight lifting? Not much if any (may have even lost some with the added weight, changing body dimensions, and joint wear and tear). Conversely how impressive do you think 5'10"160 lb pitcher Tim Lincecum who throws it 90+ mph would be lifting weights in the gym?

NFL QBs really need 3 things: velocity, accuracy and ability to vary trajectory (related to "touch"). Fitz lacked all 3. IMO best combination today is Eli Manning. The Bills @ Giants 2 seasons ago was an all telling comparison, and the game I officially gave up on Fitz.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

So since I was a competitive powerlifter I didn't knwo I could have been an NFL QB? Damn. Ok, just kidding to the original guy from the post. It's all about mechanics and I agree what god has provided for you. With that said, and the cold wind in Buffalo in November and December, the real question is if you had a guy with a cannon and a mobile QB, and both had simialr accuracy, mechanics, and judgment, who do you want?

That's why EJ Manuel is so appealing for the Bills if we can't get Geno Smith. EJ is one of the bigger QBs, has a strong arm (can throw it deep) & is one of the stronger leaders. We need a big strong QB to hold up in the Buffalo weather. While I like Barkley, he just doesn't seem to have the big arm that we would want in Buffalo (the last thing we need is another Trent Edwards). Even Nassib seems to have a stronger arm than Barkley, but not as strong as Geno or EJ.

I originally wasn't a fan of Geno's because of his height but the kid is the real deal & is the top QB in this draft bar none. I also resisted the idea of EJ for 2 reasons (both of which are pretty lame I admit) 1) Florida 2) wierd name; but all in all when you really look at this kid, he just matches up as a great fit for the Bills.

Edited by BuffaloFan68

Yeah - it's peculiar. Look at Tyler Bray, for instance. Most scouts say he's got the best arm in the draft, or Glennon. Both of these kids are skinny, with skinny arms. Compare them to Nassib, who is a gym rat, who can bench like 400 lbs, and yet, his arm strength is questioned. So, it appears "arm strength" has little to do with the size of muscle, but more to do with the speed of the release, the motion of the throw, etc. It probably cannot be dramatically altered.