Fitz' money explained since he was released

That $20 million was since he signed his new contract in 2011. He earned over $10/year in that period.

Yep. The OP's article clearly stated, "after paying Fitzpatrick more than $20 million since signing him to his new contract in October 2011." I'm not sure if some of that was a carry-forward from his prior contract, but for the production over those two years, 20 mill is a TON.

Yep. The OP's article clearly stated, "after paying Fitzpatrick more than $20 million since signing him to his new contract in October 2011." I'm not sure if some of that was a carry-forward from his prior contract, but for the production over those two years, 20 mill is a TON.

And yet $10m per year in the NFL for a starting QB is exactly where Fitz ended up playing, two thirds of the way down from the top.

And yet $10m per year in the NFL for a starting QB is exactly where Fitz ended up playing, two thirds of the way down from the top.

I agree with you on this KTD. It wasn't so much that the deal sucked.....it was the decision to extend Fitz and pay him as if he had the skills of a solid starter that sucked.....but even then it was widely accepted as a wise move by many at the time.

Hindsight works her magic again.

Jerry Sullivan said give him more.

I do not understand what the benefit was for TJax still. Yes, put him on the pine to move a 6th to a 7th but what did Gailey and staff think of it? You know at some point it was **** hit the fan mode and it had to have been Nix denying them a chance to put TJax in - at which point Gailey probably gave up.

If I remember the trade details correctly T Jax could've played 5 or 6 games without the draft pick escalating to a 6th. I know there was talk that he wasn't picking up the offense but I think there were bigger issues keeping him out. First, Fitz was well respected in the locker room and they didn't want to mess with that dynamic. Second, and more importantly, Chan was on the path to losing his job and he thought Fitz gave him the best chance to win and possibly save his job. Personally I would've preferred to see Jackson play a few games so we could see what he was capable of. The season was already over anyway.

(hindsight font)

Can some one please tell me why in the world we paid Ryan Fitzpatrick all that money anyways? I've said it all along, he's garbage, a backup QB at best.

And while I am at it, why did we draft Donte Whitner so high, when Haloti Ngata was there?

Why did we draft Aaron Maybin when we could have had Brian Orakpo?

How about picking Torrell Troup when we could have had Rob Gronkowski?

Why did we pick Aaron Williams when we could have had Colin Kaepernick?!?

Why did we trade UP just to get T.J. Graham, when we could have taken Russell Wilson?!?

Why did we ever draft C.J. Spiller ... oh wait, that was a pretty good pick.

It's the weirdest thing with these glasses I wear ... things are a bit foggy and unclear when I look forward, but if I turn around, I can see 20/20 - crystal clear!

Jerry Sullivan said give him more.

I do not understand what the benefit was for TJax still. Yes, put him on the pine to move a 6th to a 7th but what did Gailey and staff think of it? You know at some point it was **** hit the fan mode and it had to have been Nix denying them a chance to put TJax in - at which point Gailey probably gave up.

My guess is it was a mental thing. If I remember correctly, the offense got more complex as the team spent time with it. I remember multiple folks (chan, fitz) talking about how much more they were going to do with the offense when they had a full offseason and how settled it was going to be not having to learn much in the third year, etc. And that was with Fitz running the show. I think TJax playing would have meant breaking the playbook down and Chan didn't want to do that unless he had to. I thought it was interesting that A Corp resigned and I get the feeling that Marrone will value athleticism over smarts on offense and that is why we are seeing some of these players not resigned while players like dickerson and b smith are still here.

The roster bonus was the key, he did not want to be cut during or after training camp and not have a team to play for in 2013. He realized that the Bills could not guarantee a roster spot and he would be better off signing somewhere else to be on a team next season.

But why would the Titans or any other team guarantee him a spot. I also don't think the Titans have told him that he will be competing with Locker for the starting gig.

(hindsight font)

Can some one please tell me why in the world we paid Ryan Fitzpatrick all that money anyways? I've said it all along, he's garbage, a backup QB at best.

And while I am at it, why did we draft Donte Whitner so high, when Haloti Ngata was there?

Why did we draft Aaron Maybin when we could have had Brian Orakpo?

How about picking Torrell Troup when we could have had Rob Gronkowski?

Why did we pick Aaron Williams when we could have had Colin Kaepernick?!?

Why did we trade UP just to get T.J. Graham, when we could have taken Russell Wilson?!?

Why did we ever draft C.J. Spiller ... oh wait, that was a pretty good pick.

It's the weirdest thing with these glasses I wear ... things are a bit foggy and unclear when I look forward, but if I turn around, I can see 20/20 - crystal clear!

Why did they draft Dareus. Because he is good (sophomore slump not withstanding)

Why did they re-sign Kyle Williams - Because he is a good DT

Why did they re-up Stevie Johnson - Because he is a legitimate NFL Wide Receiver

Why did they re-up Urbik - Because is a sound and reliable Right Guard

Why did they sign Mario Williams to that huge contract - Because.....Ralph is *NOT* cheap!!!

Why did they re-up Scott Chandler - Because he is a reliable threat at the TE position especially in the Red zone.

Why did they draft Glenn - Because he is turning out to be an excellent LT and they did not give up that 2nd rd pick.

For every failure, there is some good success by this front office. Their biggest problem has been in not *DRAFTING* a QB.

Technically, Fitz got that 21M for playing 10 + 16 games....That amounts to 26M for two full seasons....That is 13M per year.

I could be mistaken, but I thought when a player negotiates a contract mid-season it supercedes the previous contract for that year.

I don't think so, especially when players are paid after each game. Remember he had already earned the money for the 1st 6 games. Since Fitz was a vested Veteran, his salary at the starting of the year was guaranteed. Which simply means, the Bills pro-rate that salary over the first 6 games and then pay the new salary for the remainder 10 games. Of course this applies only for the salary. The bonus is always paid up front (While guaranteed, it also could be that the Bills may choose to break the Bonus into 12 monthly payments and pay through the year. It gives them more cash flexibility during the year).

I don't think so, especially when players are paid after each game. Remember he had already earned the money for the 1st 6 games. Since Fitz was a vested Veteran, his salary at the starting of the year was guaranteed. Which simply means, the Bills pro-rate that salary over the first 6 games and then pay the new salary for the remainder 10 games. Of course this applies only for the salary. The bonus is always paid up front (While guaranteed, it also could be that the Bills may choose to break the Bonus into 12 monthly payments and pay through the year. It gives them more cash flexibility during the year).

Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. In Fitz's case, although I am not sure, I don't think they did. I think it was a straight 6 year extension. So he got $10 in a signing bonus but continued on his 2011 former contract, then was tied up for the next six years.

So technically, you're right. He was paid that money for only those 10 games in 2011. Of course, he never would have got the money without the first 6 games. ;)

I do remember reading that the contract, overall, made him the 19th highest paid QB in the NFL, which must be determined by the overall length of the contract on a per year basis. And technically, since we're not counting that first year as a contract year, although he got paid in it, it was technically a seven year $59m contract, and not a six year deal. ;)

Why did they draft Dareus. Because he is good (sophomore slump not withstanding)

Why did they re-sign Kyle Williams - Because he is a good DT

Why did they re-up Stevie Johnson - Because he is a legitimate NFL Wide Receiver

Why did they re-up Urbik - Because is a sound and reliable Right Guard

Why did they sign Mario Williams to that huge contract - Because.....Ralph is *NOT* cheap!!!

Why did they re-up Scott Chandler - Because he is a reliable threat at the TE position especially in the Red zone.

Why did they draft Glenn - Because he is turning out to be an excellent LT and they did not give up that 2nd rd pick.

For every failure, there is some good success by this front office. Their biggest problem has been in not *DRAFTING* a QB.

I agree 100%, hence the hindsight font ... Nix has regularly found serviceable guys for dirt cheap like SChandler, KUrbik, CReinhardt, EPears, CBrown, DNelson, DJones, LSmith, etc, and they are a big reason why we are not in bad cap shape and able to re-sign our own guys like KW, Stevie, Fred, etc. plus sign Mario to a king's ransom deal.

Plus, as outlined above, we only essentially paid Fitz the market rate for a mid-level starter, ~20m for 2 yrs, and had a reasonable way to cut bait in case it didn't work out for the Bills. Fitz's people didn't work that into the structure of the contract, Buddy did.

And not for nothing, but what I took away from the Tampa phone call was that he is still the one driving the bus over there.