(OT) Best remake of a classic song

Rayzer32

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be the only one, but I always preferred Dylan's version. That's just me, though.

You may well be the only one. All due respect to Dylan as a songwriter, but I wouldn't be saddened if something happened to his vocal chords. He truly sounds like if Sam Wyche were singing. A couple of songs on "time Out of Mind" were good tho.

The best covers of Dylan's stuff is Jeff Buckley. Dink's Song (Fare Thee Well), I Shall Be Released, Just Like a Woman.... He also does some great Van Morrison covers.

Otherwise, No Doubt's cover of "It's My Life" was good. Heard the original by Talk Talk on a weirdo-80s program on the UConn radio station --- the 'remake' was actually just a repetition, note for note, only in GS's voice. It was pretty good tho.

The Byrds version of Dylan's "My Back Pages"

Chrissie Hynde/Jeff Beck's cover of Elvis' "Mystery Train"

Elvis Presley's cover of Wynonie Harris's "Good Rockin' Tonight"

The Beatles' cover of Barrett Strong's "Money"

U2's cover of the Beatles' "Helter Skelter"

Seems like I'm going in circles.

:devil:

Garth Brooks' remake of "Hard Luck Woman"

198068[/snapback]

Absolutely! That is a kick ass version, even superior to the original. In fact, Darin, you can settle an argument for me. My brother contends the vocals on the original track was Paul Stanley. I think it is Peter Criss, no one croaks em out like him...

Absolutely! That is a kick ass version, even superior to the original. In fact, Darin, you can settle an argument for me. My brother contends the vocals on the original track was Paul Stanley. I think it is Peter Criss, no one croaks em out like him...

198414[/snapback]

It's definitely Peter Criss on vocals on the original.

My "remake award" would probably go to Aetha for R-E-S-P-E-C-T, originally done by Otis Redding.

I am a huge George Harrison fan.  What songs were covered?  I would love to hear them.

Something

198248[/snapback]

Somehing is a standard that's been covered hundreds of times,

but I like the one Dylan played at MSG right after Harrison passed away.

He'd never performed it before & it was the last song of the show, nice surprise and tribute.

198414[/snapback]

It was Peter Criss.

thats a good one

how about Guns N Roses cover of Paradise City or Pantera's cover of Cat Scratch Fever

198235[/snapback]

I love listening to the live CD durring Cowboys From Hell they start into a tiny bit of Cat Scratch Fever and then go back into CFH.

R.I.P Dime!!!!

America remade that song.  It's on their greatest hits and is godawful to listen to!

198374[/snapback]

Right on the latter... but as to the former, it was originally recorded by America in 1973 on their "Hat Trick" album, and covered by the Captain And Tennille (I can't even say that without thinking about mXc) on their "Song Of Joy" album of 1976.

From AMG: "Written by Willis Ramsey, the syrupy "Muskrat Love" only went as high as number 67 on the singles chart for America, but the Captain & Tennille managed to take it all the way to number four only three years later."

Whoever mentioned the Priest covers - good call. Judas Priest never did a bad cover. I liked both "Green Manalishi" and "Diamonds And Rust" much better than the Fleetwood Mac/Joan Baez versions, although I still prefer the Spooky Tooth version of "Better By You Better Than Me".

How about Paradise Lost's cover of "Death Walks Behind You", originally by Atomic Rooster?

All Along The Watchtower by Jimi.

Beat that if you can. :devil:

198082[/snapback]

OK, I'll give you some competition. Trian kept a rolling by TINY BRADSHAW & HIS ORCHESTRA and re-done by Aerosmith in the 70's. Any one here ever see the cover of this by Talas? Buffalo's best rock cover band

Oh, and before I forget... best cover band in the world: Me First And The Gimme Gimmes. All your favorite old pop classics covered as pop/punk/emo songs. Stuff like "Rocket Man", "Mandy", "Seasons In The Sun", "Sweet Caroline", "Blowin In The Wind", "Sloop John B", "I Only Want to Be With You", etc etc.

Say, anyone remember the Circle Jerks "Golden Shower Of Hits"?