The Bills are NOT one of the worst NFL teams.

Except, you know, Jim Kelly.

I'll save others the trouble (actually I won't because so many people here post before reading, but anyways) Kelly was a first rounder yes but he was the Bills second pick after TE Tony Hunter.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll save others the trouble (actually I won't because so many people here post before reading, but anyways) Kelly was a first rounder yes but he was the Bills second pick after TE Tony Hunter.

Haha, dammit! Thanks for the correction.

The Bills since Wade Phillips have been mired in mediocrity with bad coaches, players, scouts. Its what happens when you just try to find the least expensive in everything.

About the only area they excel in is with marketing, and keeping the stadium filled.

The Bills are drafting 8th this year, so last season they were most definitely among the 10 worst. Depending on how the offseason goes, maybe they can consider themselves not among the 10 worst anymore. But I'm not holding my breath.... Looking a bit long term, the Bills have not only been among the 10 worst this century but are probably considered THE WORST. I give you the past 13 seasons, listed in order of crappiness:

9-7

8-8

8-8

7-9

7-9

7-9

6-10

6-10

6-10

6-10

5-11

4-12

3-13

7 last place finishes in the division, 5 second to last place finishes, 1 second place finish, and 0 division titles.

Yep. Worst NFL team of the 21st century.

The Bills aren't the worst team in the NFL? They just gave a below average CB a 4 year 20 mil contract. Before that, they gave a below average DE [Kelsay] a 4 year 24 mil extension, and a below average QB a 6 year 59 mil extension...Only in Buffalo!!

You are correct (other than a typo, the 13 should be a 23), and I see that you started in 2002.

Of those 10 selections, we drafted one RT, one DE, one WR, and one DT. The other 6 first round picks consisted of 3 running backs and 3 defensive backs. Yes, a whopping 60% of our last 10 first round picks were wasted on dbs and rbs. Btw it gets worse.

If you go back 5 years before you started (2002) the Bills had 4 first round selections. One was defensive end Eric Flowers. The other 3 consisted of a running back and 2 corners.

So by my math, no less than 9 of our last 14 number 1 draft choices have been either running backs or defensive backs. I won't even get into the early second round dbs. Yet, there are people who would actually be happy if we drafted Milliner, or even a safety at #8.

Go figure.

and this is why if we select a db with the 8th pick in this upcoming draft i am going to go off on a tangent so disturbingly aweful that i will be sent straight to the looney bin.

The Bills aren't the worst team in the NFL? They just gave a below average CB a 4 year 20 mil contract. Before that, they gave a below average DE [Kelsay] a 4 year 24 mil extension, and a below average QB a 6 year 59 mil extension...Only in Buffalo!!

below average cb, but what...top 5 return man in the nfl?

and this is why if we select a db with the 8th pick in this upcoming draft i am going to go off on a tangent so disturbingly aweful that i will be sent straight to the looney bin.

below average cb, but what...top 5 return man in the nfl?

The Bills already have solid return men on the team that they didn't need to overpay: Spiller, Rogers & Easley. That money they used to overpay McKelvin could have been used on the many holes that the Bills have.

The Bills already have solid return men on the team that they didn't need to overpay: Spiller, Rogers & Easley. That money they used to overpay McKelvin could have been used on the many holes that the Bills have.

i think rogers and easley are capeable, maybe even good. but mckelvin is elite as a return man. and i really don't think i want cj running back kicks, he gets winded enough as it is.

During the entire history of the Bills haven't they drafted a RB or DB 50% of the time with their first pick. Not once have they ever drafted a QB with their first pick.

It's not as bad as 50%.....but it's pretty awful.

Ignoring "first pick" concept.....and just looking at 1st round(top 32 selections).....

Starting at 1984(because it makes it look worse :devil: ).....the Bills.....

....have selected 32 times inside the top 32 picks.

11 DBs, 6 RBs.....we have drafted 53% DB/RB over the past 29 years.

League wide over that time....

928 selections....146 DBs....109 RBs.

Subtracting the Bills numbers from the League numbers gives us the average of other teams....

896 selections....135 DBs(15.1%)....103 RBs(11.5%)...........238 DB/RB(26.5%)

Compared with the Bills.....

32 selections....11 DBs(34.4%)....6 RBs(18.8%)............17 DB/RB(53.1%).

IMO, a bigger factor than simply having HCs/GMs with a natural proclivity towards drafting DB/RB has been the unwillingness/inability to retain the good draft picks.....often creating a hole at the position......which leads to further drafting of the position.

Relating this to today's events......I much prefer the concept that our #2 CB is perhaps a bit below where you would want him to be, rather than spend yet another high draft pick(yet again) in replacing him.

-Happy Friday, I'm glad you are enjoying yourself...

Sorry, I should have listed the teams (In the past) that were included. I also have since learned this list was about the past and is about 5 years old. (should have known, sorry) So for all the naysayers there is still hope, we can still make the next one. But yes, in 1990 at least, the Pats were inept. youtube

10. 1990 Patriots

9. 2001 Panthers

8. 1989 Cowboys

7. 1996 Jets

6. 1980 Saints

5. 1968 Eagles

4. 1990's Bengals

3. 1972/73 Oilers

2. 1960's Cowboys

1. 1976/77 Bucs

You probably should have used the term "of all time" in your title & OP.....it's actually a little confusing without that.

It is proven that in order to have long term success in the NFL, a team has to have a franchise QB. The Bills have not had one since Jim It retired. Until you land a stud QB, your team will be mediocre. Bills have talent in other areas. They missed out on RG3 last year. Should have made St Louis an offer that the could not have refused. Hindsight is 20/20. It is hard to be a Bills fan.

......They missed out on RG3 last year. Should have made St Louis an offer that the could not have refused. Hindsight is 20/20. It is hard to be a Bills fan.

I agree totally with the other things you said.....but the above....hard to see how we could have topped the Skins offer.....

Pick #6 & #39....plus 2013 & 2014 1st round picks.....for pick #2.

We had pick #10 & #41.....we would have had to also give up a 3rd & 4th round pick just to equal the value of the Redskins offer.

Oh yes they are....worst by a mile

remember those back to back 600 yd against defensive gems they pulled last year??....-but dont worry we resigned a horrible db for 5 mil/yr and dumped a cheaply priced wr who never drops a ball and manages to get open.-and we have no QB and no LBs

remember those back to back 600 yd against defensive gems they pulled last year??....-but dont worry we resigned a horrible db for 5 mil/yr and dumped a cheaply priced wr who never drops a ball and manages to get open.-and we have no QB and no LBs

.....bills havent made the playoffs in like a thousand years and the way things are going with this staff keeping fitzgarbage and resigning players who were part of one of the worst defenses in nfl history by far the worst defense on the planet it will be another thousand years of suffering as bills fans

-Happy Friday, I'm glad you are enjoying yourself...

Sorry, I should have listed the teams (In the past) that were included. I also have since learned this list was about the past and is about 5 years old. (should have known, sorry) So for all the naysayers there is still hope, we can still make the next one. But yes, in 1990 at least, the Pats were inept. youtube

10. 1990 Patriots

9. 2001 Panthers

8. 1989 Cowboys

7. 1996 Jets

6. 1980 Saints

5. 1968 Eagles

4. 1990's Bengals

3. 1972/73 Oilers

2. 1960's Cowboys

1. 1976/77 Bucs

New number 1 = 2013 Bills

Oh yes they are! The team that plays at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo, NY, and that I watch when they aren't blacked out, is just awful. Peddle your stats elsewhere because over the past decade the Bills have been simply dreadful and appear to have enjoyed that condition right through today.