Glimmer of hope for non-DirecTV NFL fans - Sunday ticket non-exclusive

GG

"DirecTV CFO Patrick Doyle said Wednesday that the company may not renew its exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket franchise when its contract with the league expires next year.

Doyle, speaking at a Deutsche Bank conference in Florida, floated the idea of DirecTV possibly sharing rights to the package with cable operators and other pay TV rivals. While DirecTV has used its exclusive rights to the package to grow its subscriber base, the company has found it challenging to turn a profit on the deal, which costs it about $1 billion annually.

"There's a point where we're certainly willing to renew and at some [license fee] increase that's reasonable, that we can absorb and continue to pass on to the customer. I think, obviously, if it goes above that, we would certainly either think about not carrying it or go nonexclusive," Doyle said. "We're not necessarily concerned about going to nonexclusive, if it's structured properly," he added."

Linky thingy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a while they were giving the ticket free to any new subscriber. Plus anyone who called got the price reduced. I'm not surprised they aren't making money on it. In fact I'd be surprised if they weren't losing money on it.

I know one person who has directTV because of the ticket. He and his wife are avid football fans and they live in the primary market for neither of their favorite teams.

I think it would be better for the NFL and all the providers if it was non-exclusive like the other sports packages.

They could put each game up on pay-per-view if they wanted to as well for people who only care about one team. Lots of possibilities.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I Have DirecTV with Sunday Ticket but I think it should be non-exclusive. Anyone willing to pay should be able to watch. Like CodeMonkey says, there are lots of possibilities and the NFL can probably make more money if they make it available to other outlets

This is a stupid question, but can anyone tell me if I can get a similar package through my PS3 (like NHL GameCenter Live), even if I don't have DirectTV?

As was said - yup! And last year it was awesome, I ended up getting the "Digital Only" Sunday Ticket package, the price was lower than the year before ($250, maybe?) and not only did the password work on my iPad and iPhone, but also on my PS3 (which as a Sunday Ticket app).

Not sure how it will all work without Direct TV since they're the ones you paid, even for the digi subscription, but lets hope this means we'll see ST on cable and on tons of different devices!

For a while they were giving the ticket free to any new subscriber. Plus anyone who called got the price reduced. I'm not surprised they aren't making money on it. In fact I'd be surprised if they weren't losing money on it.

I know one person who has directTV because of the ticket. He and his wife are avid football fans and they live in the primary market for neither of their favorite teams.

I think it would be better for the NFL and all the providers if it was non-exclusive like the other sports packages.

They could put each game up on pay-per-view if they wanted to as well for people who only care about one team. Lots of possibilities.

they are still making money because you still need to be a DTV subscriber to get that deal

DTV will die when they give up the sunday ticket

they are still making money because you still need to be a DTV subscriber to get that deal

DTV will die when they give up the sunday ticket

That assumes that there are an awful lot of DTV subscribers that subscribe only to get the ticket.

Maybe that's true. But if DTV does not renew it's exclusive contract (in the US) it will be because they looked at the numbers and it did not work out in their favor.

I don't know what DTV pays the NFL for the US exclusive rights, but it must be a monstrously big number.

That assumes that there are an awful lot of DTV subscribers that subscribe only to get the ticket.

Maybe that's true. But if DTV does not renew it's exclusive contract (in the US) it will be because they looked at the numbers and it did not work out in their favor.

I don't know what DTV pays the NFL for the US exclusive rights, but it must be a monstrously big number.

Found this:

On March 23, 2009, it was announced that DirecTV paid $4 billion to extend its exclusive contract for NFL Sunday Ticket until 2014.

As was said - yup! And last year it was awesome, I ended up getting the "Digital Only" Sunday Ticket package, the price was lower than the year before ($250, maybe?) and not only did the password work on my iPad and iPhone, but also on my PS3 (which as a Sunday Ticket app).

Not sure how it will all work without Direct TV since they're the ones you paid, even for the digi subscription, but lets hope this means we'll see ST on cable and on tons of different devices!

Yes you can.

Excellent! That is what I thought I remembered from last year, but wasnt sure. Thanks for confirming!

I had heard, at least the first year they offered it (2 seasons ago I think) that the feed through PlayStation was kind of crummy, and there were numerous kinks in it...anyone know if that improved this past season?