NFL team in LA pretty much dead....

The Bass Pro store never materialized for a variety of reasons. But even with that void the area is being steadily developed. The shame of that episode is that it went on far too long and then simply collapsed because the BP company decided that it wouldn't work for them. There were factions working to get that store anchored on the waterfront and there were factions working against that business locating it there. Sometimes when option number one is stalled then the right thing to do is to move on with the next option. Instead of freezing up with a particular setback it is better to move forward. That is what is now happening.

Don't get me started on the Peace Bridge fiasco!!!!! :wallbash:

Any bet which gets built first a new Peace Bridge or a Bills waterfront stadium??? I bet neither in the next ten years. I think new lease has money "to study a new stadium". Ya, ok... that money might as well just be thrown over the falls with all the Peace Bridge $$$.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few reasons this idea is dead and it's amazing anyone ever thought it was a feasible idea. Basically AIG wanted to build the stadium and rent it to a team or teams to use. That concept was moronic and had zero chance from the start because there simply wasn't enough money to be made and go around to two different entities. AIG wanted to keep a lot of the sources of income that an owner would need to make a profit. Later they said they would buy a part of a team but that would never work either. It only works if an owner gets all the parking and concessions at their own stadium or publicly owned stadium. It was incredible that these guys at that level didn't see the simplest thing. No owner was going to agree to AIG's terms.

I've been saying this since the beginning. It was always clear that this was never going to happen. It was a stunt by AEG (not AIG).

And for those who suggest that anyone will repurpose the Coliseum (or the Rose Bowl), no one has stepped forward in all this time to even draw up a plan for this. Those places (especially the Coliseum) are dumps. The Coliseum is a cesspool of corruption and has "no access to taxpayer funds for a renovation" (LA Weekly News). In fact, USC has taken over control of that stadium so it is impossible to use it for the NFL.

That is completely TRUE, but actually IRRELEVANT. I'm serious.

The people look so chill and relaxed on saturday for usc games!!!! (Safety in numbers???? Maybe) Surrounding the coliseum you have museums. It's actually very safe and family oriented. Very safe and kid friendly, just to emphasize. Where are my la buddies, to back me up?

Never been to LA, but that sounds like Yankee Stadium. I've been in Stan's Sports Bar, when it is packed after a day game, and then right before the sun is going to start going down, they kick everybody out and close up. Don't want to be there at night when the numbers have dwindled in the neighborhood.

You can't fix the terrible location in terms of getting in and out. A stadium should NEVER be built on the waterfront, not enough roads to get the paying fans there. Orchard Park at least has roads radiating out in 360 degrees.

I remember when Rich Stadium was built and Larry Felser said the opposite: That is was stupid to put a stadium out there when there are a few roads, instead of downtown where all roads lead to...........If you look at a map of Buffalo, it's true, downtown is like a hub and most of the major streets are spokes.

The LA stadium is dead, yet the thought of the Bills possibly moving there anyway lives on like a zombie.

Read the article. It was just this particular scenario/site. There are a few other live possibilities the NFL is still interested in.