Levitre: Hasn't heard anything from the Bills yet

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect NIx and Stevie had the same time line last year. If they don't want Levitre back what is the point in sending him a low ball offer. If they want him back they will blow him away with an offer he can't refuse right at the end. If Levitre wants to walk there is nothing the Bills can do about it.

I still say let hime walk, take Warmack at #8 and use the cap dollars saved to get Mike Wallace or Bowe. Add a few LB's and draft BPA round 2-8.

I really don't know what to make of Levitre's statement.

I find it very difficult to believe for instance that the Bills and his agent haven't at least had a few discussions.

agree. I find it very difficult as well to believe they haven't spoken in some way shape or form. Unless it was From Levitreaking a statement that he refused to sign because he wanted to test FA. At that point, maybe Nix was offended that AL wouldn't even talk contract and is now holding a grudge. At that point, I'm ok if we're not resigning him.

As I said before, all we can do is sit here and wait, no point in getting all worked up right now.

agree. I find it very difficult as well to believe they haven't spoken in some way shape or form. Unless it was From Levitreaking a statement that he refused to sign because he wanted to test FA. At that point, maybe Nix was offended that AL wouldn't even talk contract and is now holding a grudge. At that point, I'm ok if we're not resigning him.

As I said before, all we can do is sit here and wait, no point in getting all worked up right now.

Agreed. There's too much unknown out there right now. If Levitre is bent on testing the market, maybe he simply wanted an offer in hand from the Bills to gauge interest or $, and maybe Buddy wasn't going to play ball if Levitre wasn't serious about re-signing before FA.

Everything i have read is that Levitre wants to test the market, but would stay here for a "fair" deal. Again we have no clue what his idea of "fair" is.

With a tip of a hat to a friend, what do these guys have in common, other than being TSW whipping boys?

Chris Villarial

Mike Pucillo

Ross Tucker

Lawrence Smith

Bennie Anderson

Mike Gandy

Duke Preston

Aaron Merz

Tutan Reyes

Derrick Dockery

Brad Butler

Jason Whittle

Seth McKinney

With a tip of a hat to a friend, what do these guys have in common, other than being TSW whipping boys?

Chris Villarial

Mike Pucillo

Ross Tucker

Lawrence Smith

Bennie Anderson

Mike Gandy

Duke Preston

Aaron Merz

Tutan Reyes

Derrick Dockery

Brad Butler

Jason Whittle

Seth McKinney

They all played on crappy offensive lines? OLs function as a unit, so if Levitre walks, the replacement already has a leg up on the guys on your list, seeing how he's playing alongside Glenn, Wood, and Urbik.

They all played on crappy offensive lines? OLs function as a unit, so if Levitre walks, the replacement already has a leg up on the guys on your list, seeing how he's playing alongside Glenn, Wood, and Urbik.

And who's been the glue of that unit since 2009?

Add Melvin Fowler

Chris Villarial

Mike Pucillo

Ross Tucker

Lawrence Smith

Bennie Anderson

Mike Gandy

Duke Preston

Aaron Merz

Tutan Reyes

Derrick Dockery

Brad Butler

Jason Whittle

Seth McKinney

So...5 pages later, let me offer this opine that one of 3 things will happen -

1) The Bills will sign Levitre before FA begins;

or...

2) The Bills will slap the 'Transition Player' tag on Levitre, requiring an offer of the average salary of the leagues top 10 offensive linemen, and giving the Bills the right to match any offer;

or...

3) The Bills will trade Levitire.

Somehow, I don't buy that there has been no contact between the two sides.

Nor do I beleive the Bills will just allow Levitre to enter free agency unfettered by the 'Transition' label.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

So...5 pages later, let me offer this opine that one of 3 things will happen -

1) The Bills will sign Levitre before FA begins;

or...

2) The Bills will slap the 'Transition Player' tag on Levitre, requiring an offer of the average salary of the leagues top 10 offensive linemen, and giving the Bills the right to match any offer;

or...

3) The Bills will trade Levitire.

Somehow, I don't buy that there has been no contact between the two sides.

Nor do I beleive the Bills will just allow Levitre to enter free agency unfettered by the 'Transition' label.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

2) A team can't use the Franchise Tag(Byrd)....and the Transition Tag in the one year. They can use one or the other.....not both.

3) Can't trade him unless we sign him first.

Even though I am bothered that Levitire might walk, this is one of the few times I am willing to give the front office the benefit of the doubt. They have been pretty good about re-signing our good players the past couple years, some at the very last moment. If they don't re-sign levitre, it isn't going to kill us, but we are a better football team with him.

I'm curious how big the drop off from Levitre to Rhinehardt is, or if the latter can effectively play on the left side. I haven't paid much attention to him individually when he's played so I can't really say, but if Rhinehard is only a slight downgrade for a fraction of the price, in being consistent with the analytics model, it might be more cost effective to spend the money elsewhere.

Even though I am bothered that Levitire might walk, this is one of the few times I am willing to give the front office the benefit of the doubt. They have been pretty good about re-signing our good players the past couple years, some at the very last moment. If they don't re-sign levitre, it isn't going to kill us, but we are a better football team with him.

Exactly. It's not going to kill the business to continue down the road they've been on and gut the team and start over every 3 years or so. They'll still sign players and fans will still go to the games. On the other hand, it's difficult to see how improvement in the on-field product is made by losing the better players. Queue the "he's not worth the money" takes.

And who's been the glue of that unit since 2009?

There is added value in that statement i firmly believe.

But financially i just dont know where the money is best spent.

The thought of letting him go, if thats the intention , and then drafting early to get his replacement is silly to me.

I once said here " mark my words , we will have both Jairus and Andy at the start of next season " Now i dont feel so sure.

Nix likes to find servicable guys for bargain prices.

Edited by 3rdand12

A little perspective on what could be had with the money it might take to resign Levitre: If he's looking for $8 mil/yr, I'd rather make a run at Andre Smith, who's reportedly seeking $9 mil/yr. If we're going to drop that kind of money on an O-lineman, I'd rather spend the money on a big mauling RT that can knock DL on their asses.

2) A team can't use the Franchise Tag(Byrd)....and the Transition Tag in the one year. They can use one or the other.....not both.

3) Can't trade him unless we sign him first.

Thanks Dibs - was unaware of rule on #2 that we can't use transition and franchise tags in one year

(btw - moot point here, but another one I did not know - a team can designate 2 'transition' players in the same year if they have not used their 'franchise' tag)

Theoretically, I suppose we could work out a deal for a trade if the destination team and Levitre would agree to terms prior to the trade (would only make sense if a team wanted Levitre badly enough to want to keep him from entering free agency, and if the money was adequate to dissuade Levitre from testing the free agency waters.)

Personally, I still think the Bills will work a deal with Andy before March 12th - he's too good and too versatile to replace with an unknown entity...

GO BILLSSS!!!!!

Personally, I think the Bills will work a deal with Andy.

http://profootballta...ing-from-bills/

I’m in limbo right now,” Levitre said. “I don’t know what their plan is.

“Now that Jairus got his franchise tag, there’s a week and a half for them to work a deal out with me. But I haven’t been offered anything yet. We’re waiting around to see if something will pop up.”

I believe they will make a fair offer at the last minute if he accepts it great, but lets not over pay a gaurd. I cant rememember who said it but craig urbik was a undrafted free agent he has done just about as good of a job. Id like to see us save that extra cap money we save from levietre and go hard at at Bowe or,Jennings& Lb from baltimore we can draft a good gaurd in the 3rd if he doesnt take a fair offer to both sides

I believe they will make a fair offer at the last minute if he accepts it great, but lets not over pay a gaurd. I cant rememember who said it but craig urbik was a undrafted free agent he has done just about as good of a job. Id like to see us save that extra cap money we save from levietre and go hard at at Bowe or,Jennings& Lb from baltimore we can draft a good gaurd in the 3rd if he doesnt take a fair offer to both sides

Not that this effects your point.....but Craig Urbik was a 3rd round pick for the Steelers in 2009.