Matt Scott - QB - Arizona

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not predict this will happen, I still think the Bills will take a QB in the first or second round. But I do think it significantly increases the chances we take a flyer on a kid like Scott or Dysert in the third, and then go after the franchise guy in 2014. It's possible a guy like Bray or even Wilson could fall to the third, but I doubt it.

I do not predict this will happen, I still think the Bills will take a QB in the first or second round. But I do think it significantly increases the chances we take a flyer on a kid like Scott or Dysert in the third, and then go after the franchise guy in 2014. It's possible a guy like Bray or even Wilson could fall to the third, but I doubt it.

Wilson would be an appealing prospect in the second round. He fits Buddy's profile: SEC and a southern boy. I get the sense with the serious amount of scrutiny that the front office is giving to the qb prospects that a qb is going to be drafted in the first or second round.

The Kolb acquisition was not a great pickup but it was a good pickup that gave this franchise some breathing room. As much criticism I have directed toward Nix in general the personnel moves he has made so far have been sound. He was not afraid to wait for the qb market to come to him instead of panicking and go for a less desirous player. It will be interesting to see how this front office handles itself in the secondary free agent market.

Trading down and adding picks are not maneuvers that Nix usually gets involved with. But if he did it would be a sign that the front office is trying to be more flexible and creative with the way they approach their jobs.

ASU is my favorite team and I live in LA. I know who Scott is and I have seen him play. I went off a little because it drives me crazy when people talk about Russell Wilson, and just say he was drafted in the third, this guy could be this year's Russell Wilson. There was never a guy like Russell Wilson. He's better than Matt Scott in EVERYTHING. He's one of the best prospects ever.

If Wilson was 6' 2'', he would have been top 3. The only flyer the Seahawks were taking was on his height, not his talent which, as you know, was/is excellent.

Projection wise he's as good of a prospect IMO. He's not as polished, but there's no reason why Scott wouldn't have thrown for 35+ TDs and vaulted to the top of the 2014 draft if given another year of starting in college. To me, he's been the most under rated prospect in this draft in terms of draft experts, media and fans. We'll see how the NFL sees him by which round they draft him in.

FWIW, a guy on another board with a very good track record, whom I personally believe, and has a connection to the Bills, says that the Bills love Matt Scott. He doesn't like him all that much himself, but recently heard that Scott was killing it in his workouts.

That still could mean the Bills love him as a third round pick and flyer, of course. But I think that signing Kolb allows them to do something like that, where without him or someone like him, there was no way we make it out of round two without a QB and it probably wasn't going to be Matt Scott. it's possible they think he is a #3 pick but want him enough to not risk it and take him at #41. I'm not predicting that, it's just a possible scenario.

FWIW, a guy on another board with a very good track record, whom I personally believe, and has a connection to the Bills, says that the Bills love Matt Scott. He doesn't like him all that much himself, but recently heard that Scott was killing it in his workouts.

That still could mean the Bills love him as a third round pick and flyer, of course. But I think that signing Kolb allows them to do something like that, where without him or someone like him, there was no way we make it out of round two without a QB and it probably wasn't going to be Matt Scott. it's possible they think he is a #3 pick but want him enough to not risk it and take him at #41. I'm not predicting that, it's just a possible scenario.

Marrone was a coach with the Saints which had Drew Brees. They may see Scott as having the same skill set as Brees. Fast, athletic, quick and accurate release, very competitive. He's rough around the edges. But with Kolb they could bring him along slowly enough. Glad he may be in the conversation, thanks for sharing that.

Marrone was a coach with the Saints which had Drew Brees. They may see Scott as having the same skill set as Brees. Fast, athletic, quick and accurate release, very competitive. He's rough around the edges. But with Kolb they could bring him along slowly enough. Glad he may be in the conversation, thanks for sharing that.

Skill set? Maybe...Scott may actually be a better athlete than Brees...

But we all know what Brees' game is...Sure he's a very good athlete...But it's between the ears, and in his heart mainly...And that is a comparison that cannot be made about Scott any time soon...He's going to have to play in the league a bit before anyone can come close to that kind of comparison...Brees has a feel for the game, competitive fire, and determination that is beyond elite...

Not that it matters much on a Message Board...But I often think comparisons to players like Brees are the kiss of death for College prospects coming out...You want to talk about a hill to climb? Drew Brees? That's a mountain and a half... B-)

I've watched most of the video available on Matt Scott which unfortunately isn't much.

He didn't become a starter until 2012 for one thing. And the website I rely upon for video packages only did three of his games: a thrilling overtime loss at Stanford in week 6, a home upset over 10th ranked USC in week 8, and his bowl victory against Nevada (Kaepernick's old team). All three games were shootouts.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/matt-scott

In all three games Scott had very little time to throw and was under constant pressure.

Here's what I like about Matt Scott:

He is a great athlete. Quick-twitch, explosive, quick, fast, strong in spite of not having a thick build. His frame looks like it will easily support 10-15 more pounds so size is not an issue with him. Like most quarterbacks in this year's class (except for Manuel, Glennon, Bray, and Jones), he stands between 6'2" and 6'3".

Scott has a great release and delivery. He snaps throws quickly but smoothly. There's zero hitch or windup.

This kid has all the athletic ability to become an elite quarterback.

What concerns me:

The kid is VERY RAW.

He played in the infamous Rich Rodriguez spread scheme. Not once did I see him take a snap from under center. All shotgun. This is less of an issue than it used to be but it's still an issue.

On a curious note, I noticed that on a solid 65% of his throws that he throws to the right side of the field. I found this quite odd. It also seems like he doesn't make more than two reads on any given play.

Scott doesn't throw to spots as much as he throws to receivers. Almost all of his throws were to receivers who had already made their breaks. On these plays the receiver had either come out of break and stopped or had re-directed to an established line, making his throws easy to judge.

It will be a big adjustment for him to play in a system where he'll have to anticipate the routes and throw to spots.

He has occasional trouble with accuracy, particularly on his vertical downfield throws. This is not due to arm strength which he has plenty of. It's due I think to footwork. I believe that most of his footwork problems could be attributed to being under constant pressure. In the game against Nevada, he missed 4 deep vertical throws, mostly because his feet weren't properly set. Like I said he was being pressured quite a bit in all three of these games.

Anyways, this kid is a diamond in the rough. He has tons of upside.

But he'll need to make significant adjustments to his game and I think those adjustments will take time. He's a project IMO and I think the highest he'll go is mid 3rd round.